Looking At The Patriots - 2013

Here's Mankins' clip that cost him $10K

9u0YODiqV.gif

He should have been fined more. What a dirty play.

Career fumble rates (updated)
Kevin Faulk 2.89% (1 per every 34.6 carries)
Stevan Ridley 1.21% (1 per every 82.5 carries)

It's time for BB to slack off Ridley imo.

I haven't found game logs that list fumbles, but, in 2000, Faulk fumbled 6 times. Most games that season, he had 20-25 touches, but there were about a half dozen mixed in where he had almost no touches.

OTOH, we're assuming that the games in which Ridley's snaps were reduced this season have been punitive or cautionary at least. But there also may be some coincidence involved and the "game plan" argument probably should be given some credit at least some of the time. I mean, I can understand how a game plan might be designed to use a battering ram like Blount early and then to bring on the speed/elusiveness of Ridley later, even though we typically see that happening in the reverse order.

Not only is Mankins getting his lunch eaten on a regular basis, he's an automatic for at least one false start or cheap shot (during or after the play) over the course of a game.

Not only is Mankins getting his lunch eaten on a regular basis, he's an automatic for at least one false start or cheap shot (during or after the play) over the course of a game.

I don't know it seemed to happen so fast, I think chev is right it was retaliation for something. He left his stance and went straight down.

http://teamstre.am/1bhger8
I have to disagree there one of biggedt weakness on the team. They keep struggling to keep pressure of brady. Which is one of the reason why I think brady accuracy off this year.
By Field Yates | November 6, 2013 5:00:06 PM PST
The New England Patriots dealt with extensive turnover among their receiving group this offseason, as well as early season injuries to tight end Rob Gronkowski and receiver Danny Amendola.

The transition from last season's group of pass-catchers to this season's, which includes three rookie wideouts, has been a growing process.

It hasn't always been easy for quarterback Tom Brady, who had his best game of the season in Week 9 against the Steelers, but the offensive line has been a group that he's been able to rely on heavily.

The starting group to begin the season was the same as the five that finished the season in 2012, and though Sebastian Vollmer has been placed on injured reserve, springing Marcus Cannon into a starting role at right tackle, Brady highlighted the offensive line as the strength of the team in a radio interview with Scott Zolak on 98.5 The Sports Hub.

"The offensive line has been the strength for us," Brady said. "It's a great group, smart guys that really work hard, that put the time in and do great in the run game, great in the pass game."

Left to right, the group features Nate Solder, Logan Mankins, Ryan Wendell, Dan Connolly, and now Cannon in Vollmer's place.

While the Patriots have allowed more pressure of Brady this season than last, the group has still provided the veteran quarterback with a security blanket up front, and their efforts have not gone unnoticed.

"They're the strength of our team, those guys up front," he said. "Wendy, Logan, and Nate and Dan Connolly and now with Sebastian out, Marcus. [A] great group."

http://teamstre.am/1bhger8
I have to disagree there one of biggedt weakness on the team. They keep struggling to keep pressure of brady. Which is one of the reason why I think brady accuracy off this year.
By Field Yates | November 6, 2013 5:00:06 PM PST
The New England Patriots dealt with extensive turnover among their receiving group this offseason, as well as early season injuries to tight end Rob Gronkowski and receiver Danny Amendola.

The transition from last season's group of pass-catchers to this season's, which includes three rookie wideouts, has been a growing process.

It hasn't always been easy for quarterback Tom Brady, who had his best game of the season in Week 9 against the Steelers, but the offensive line has been a group that he's been able to rely on heavily.

The starting group to begin the season was the same as the five that finished the season in 2012, and though Sebastian Vollmer has been placed on injured reserve, springing Marcus Cannon into a starting role at right tackle, Brady highlighted the offensive line as the strength of the team in a radio interview with Scott Zolak on 98.5 The Sports Hub.

"The offensive line has been the strength for us," Brady said. "It's a great group, smart guys that really work hard, that put the time in and do great in the run game, great in the pass game."

Left to right, the group features Nate Solder, Logan Mankins, Ryan Wendell, Dan Connolly, and now Cannon in Vollmer's place.

While the Patriots have allowed more pressure of Brady this season than last, the group has still provided the veteran quarterback with a security blanket up front, and their efforts have not gone unnoticed.

"They're the strength of our team, those guys up front," he said. "Wendy, Logan, and Nate and Dan Connolly and now with Sebastian out, Marcus. [A] great group."

Its the same oline which gets me, which makes me think that Brady was before able to get the pass out faster which hid some of the oline issues, and now with a new cast, some of that has been exposed. Although at times this year I am not even sure Brady could have got any ball off. Brady has always been good at getting the ball out quick, watch Ben in that game against us, that was flat out pathetic on that one sack where Fletch got him around the shirt, he always holds that ball too long. All Qb's have done that here and there, but some are way worse than others.

Its the same oline which gets me, which makes me think that Brady was before able to get the pass out faster which hid some of the oline issues, and now with a new cast, some of that has been exposed.

I've only seen two halfs of Pat's football (2nd half Saints/2nd half Steelers) so far this year but I suspect this is correct. The Pat's do not typically just line up and play set piece football. They use a number of different strategies to control coverage, match-ups and pass rush. A big part of their pass protection system is predicated on alerts, sight adjusts and hot routes, especially from spread formations using five man protections. This requires that all the eligible receivers be able to execute flawlessly against coverage.

I suspect that not having many vets out their early limited the Pat's ability to spread the field and help their protection by limiting blitz opportunities and forcing them to run a higher than normal percentage of longer developing set piece plays off five step, seven step and play action which will surely tax your protection.

I would also suspect that the game plan against the Steelers featured a lot more quick game sights and hots than the Pat's had been using since some of the vets are getting up to speed allowing them to open the play book to assist the protection.

Its the same oline which gets me, which makes me think that Brady was before able to get the pass out faster which hid some of the oline issues, and now with a new cast, some of that has been exposed. Although at times this year I am not even sure Brady could have got any ball off. Brady has always been good at getting the ball out quick, watch Ben in that game against us, that was flat out pathetic on that one sack where Fletch got him around the shirt, he always holds that ball too long. All Qb's have done that here and there, but some are way worse than others.

I think you hit the nail on the head, here.

I've thought for awhile that the strength of the Pats OL has been run-blocking rather than pass-pro for a good chunk of Brady's tenure. I think Scar has mainly focused on acquiring good, aggressive, athletic run-blockers and then gradually brought them up to NFL-level pass-pro. He's had the room to do this because, up till this season, the passing attack was built around short, quick throws and the OL wasn't required to - and their pass-pro blocking schemes weren't designed to - protect Brady for very long after the snap.

This season, though, the passing attack has changed, I believe, to put somewhat greater emphasis on slower-developing plays and the pass-pro blocking patterns have changed a bit to match that difference. Some of the techniques, reads and patterns that had been effective for the OL guys when they mostly needed to be stout against rushers for a relatively short period of time won't work as well now and the things they're doing instead in order to set up for longer term protection, when they breakdown, can result in quick pressure/sacks that might not have happened before.

I think you hit the nail on the head, here.

I've thought for awhile that the strength of the Pats OL has been run-blocking rather than pass-pro for a good chunk of Brady's tenure. I think Scar has mainly focused on acquiring good, aggressive, athletic run-blockers and then gradually brought them up to NFL-level pass-pro. He's had the room to do this because, up till this season, the passing attack was built around short, quick throws and the OL wasn't required to - and their pass-pro blocking schemes weren't designed to - protect Brady for very long after the snap.

This season, though, the passing attack has changed, I believe, to put somewhat greater emphasis on slower-developing plays and the pass-pro blocking patterns have changed a bit to match that difference. Some of the techniques, reads and patterns that had been effective for the OL guys when they mostly needed to be stout against rushers for a relatively short period of time won't work as well now and the things they're doing instead in order to set up for longer term protection, when they breakdown, can result in quick pressure/sacks that might not have happened before.

Wendell & Connolly were nursing injuries that hampered their performance from the beginning of the season. Reiss thinks Mankins has likely been injured but NO ONE will talk about it with the media.

As I watch the Car-SF game I'm impressed with both front 7s. But I have a hint for BB and TB. Carolina's DBs are vulnerable; attack Carolina by air and success is yours. :wink:

46 passing yards for SF with the sacks taken out.

And SF had only 45 yds total in the 2nd half. Unreal.

BUT, Kaep couldn't take advantage of the passing game so Car stacked the line.

Next wkend, WOW

Sunday night, Broncos-KC
Monday night, Pats-Car

:D

I'm pretty happy Car got beaten up all day today by the bruising 49ers while the Pats got to recover a bit.

Good point. Do you suppose they'll feel a little fat and contented after that big win over SF? Maybe we're catching them at the right time.

They are young on D we'll see if they keep their heads straight.
I think a big key is to get up on them on the scoreboard. Newton has a lot of talent but he can be a bit of a frontrunner (like Cutler) playing wise. He was throwing really high today at times and even last week at times. I think having to defend Roethlisberger will prepare the Pats D well for Newton. MUST hem him in and tackle him, it's tough to do.

Back