Looking at the Patriots - 2020

RE Ross. It won't happen but...
Ross hasn’t lived up to his lofty draft slot and has dealt with numerous injuries in his career, but he did put up solid numbers when healthy last season, tallying 506 receiving yards on 28 catches (18.1 yards per) in just eight games. The 25-year-old also caught seven touchdown passes in 2018.

I hope they do get WR's & TE's more involved in passing game . Cam favorite target in Carolina was the TE. . They are relying heavily on RB's to win rushing & receiving. Defense will continue to load the box . Dare them to beat them in air.

Last edited:
I'd like to see more targets for Meyers and Olszewski. They can bring the spark of youth and vigor. They deserve a bigger role.
I'd like to see Asiasi pushed into a receiver's role more to see what we've got in him. I'm impatient with all this pussyfooting around with him.
I'd like to see Dalton Keene, Beau Allen and Josh Uche in a uniform on game day just to prove to me they are real.
I'd like to see the Patriots trade for 3 positions of immediate need before the trade deadline:
1. X receiver
2. TE and
3. LB.

Byrd is doing ok and he's been open a lot more than he's been targeted but he's all we have at X. Some will say Harry plays X and to that I'll respond that the Pats will line him up at X but that doesn't make him an outside the numbers WR. Harry is a big slot guy pure and simple. Another true outside fast-ish high-mid level receiver would give relief to Byrd during the game and give added benefits of playing them both on the field together. Make defenses use resources to defend them. Speaking of Harry, yeah, my patience is getting thin. Not just with him but how he's being used, too.

TE is obvious. That's the most critical single position BB failed to resolve in the off season and it's biting his ass right now.

LB - I've come to the conclusion that we're running more nickel, big nickel and dime simply because we don't have enough capable LBs to run base. Bentley is the only guy we have and there have been years recently when Bentley would have been our 4th, 5th or 6th option. Copeland is useless. Caash has a cool name. He's done a few things but he's the future, not the present. Calhoun is a pretty good player but he's not really a LB, he's an EDGE guy like Winovich. Offenses have been taking advantage of our LB weakness by running the ball more and more each game. We need an upgrade to Bentley pdq.

Rant over.
I don’t want them giving up any draft capital.
I’d love for Bill to take stock of his past and recent draft work and put his biggest emphasis on fixing things moving forward. Pilfer an organization that truly drafts and develops skill positions better than us.

Give the players you mention bigger roles. Let’s see what we have.

I concede this year as a hopeful 10-6. Maybe 9-7. Build for a great future. Not this season. The weaknesses are too many for a championship run imo and I want to avoid Sanu 2.0 rearing it’s ugly head.
Play the TEs.
I spoke up about the white whale earlier. All these large Safety’s to play coverage LBer. Problem? They aren’t LBers. Eventually run support suffers. He’s got to find his Lavonte David guy.

Chatham does a breakdown of 10 plays were guys were open and Cam didn't get them the ball. He said he could have done 20 but kept it to ten. Concensus seems to be the offensive woes were not scheme or guys not getting separation but Cam having a very off day.

View: https://twitter.com/chatham58/status/1318611537809100800

I'd like to see more targets for Meyers and Olszewski. They can bring the spark of youth and vigor. They deserve a bigger role.
I'd like to see Asiasi pushed into a receiver's role more to see what we've got in him. I'm impatient with all this pussyfooting around with him.
I'd like to see Dalton Keene, Beau Allen and Josh Uche in a uniform on game day just to prove to me they are real.
I'd like to see the Patriots trade for 3 positions of immediate need before the trade deadline:
1. X receiver
2. TE and
3. LB.

Byrd is doing ok and he's been open a lot more than he's been targeted but he's all we have at X. Some will say Harry plays X and to that I'll respond that the Pats will line him up at X but that doesn't make him an outside the numbers WR. Harry is a big slot guy pure and simple. Another true outside fast-ish high-mid level receiver would give relief to Byrd during the game and give added benefits of playing them both on the field together. Make defenses use resources to defend them. Speaking of Harry, yeah, my patience is getting thin. Not just with him but how he's being used, too.

TE is obvious. That's the most critical single position BB failed to resolve in the off season and it's biting his ass right now.

LB - I've come to the conclusion that we're running more nickel, big nickel and dime simply because we don't have enough capable LBs to run base. Bentley is the only guy we have and there have been years recently when Bentley would have been our 4th, 5th or 6th option. Copeland is useless. Caash has a cool name. He's done a few things but he's the future, not the present. Calhoun is a pretty good player but he's not really a LB, he's an EDGE guy like Winovich. Offenses have been taking advantage of our LB weakness by running the ball more and more each game. We need an upgrade to Bentley pdq.

Rant over.
Easy as 123. But is it ok to start talking about Cam's "no confidence" in his receivers?

Chatham does a breakdown of 10 plays were guys were open and Cam didn't get them the ball. He said he could have done 20 but kept it to ten. Concensus seems to be the offensive woes were not scheme or guys not getting separation but Cam having a very off day.

View: https://twitter.com/chatham58/status/1318611537809100800

If practice makes perfect does no practice make imperfect? That's my take. If anyone needs practice it's Cam - to keep his foot mechanics sharp and his rhythm for the game. He doesn't have 10 years in this offense. He's still training his muscle memory and mind to do a new way. He needs practice to stay sharp and 1 practice in 2 wks doesn't provide what he needs.
Easy as 123. But is it ok to start talking about Cam's "no confidence" in his receivers?
No. Cam missed plenty of open receivers and he knows it.

I'm reserving judgement on this O until we actually have a full slate of legit practices behind us. We have looked good at times when wwe have actually practiced.

edit: Chevss posted at the same time as me. Great minds and all that. :)

If practice makes perfect does no practice make imperfect? That's my take. If anyone needs practice it's Cam - to keep his foot mechanics sharp and his rhythm for the game. He doesn't have 10 years in this offense. He's still training his muscle memory and mind to do a new way. He needs practice to stay sharp and 1 practice in 2 wks doesn't provide what he needs.

No. Cam missed plenty of open receivers and he knows it.
I was actually encouraged by the plays even though Cam was bad. It means the receivers are getting open, they are running good routes. It means there is a reason to have more hope than some were saying on Monday.

In terms of Cam, I not sure how much was no practice vs a defense that stuffed the LOS. I think we will see that the rest of the season to rush Cam in terms of his reads. That was his weakness in Carolina too. Hopefully McDaniels can scheme much quicker stuff.

1. X receiver
2. TE and
3. LB.

Rant over.
If I were as good about putting my football thoughts about this year so far into words as I think I am my political thoughts, this would be it.

Great idea, as it clearly isn't a combined shot at Bill and an attaboy for your religion.
No its a truthful statement. I have read no less than 50 posts on here about wide receivers that Bill brings in, you keep your mouth shut on all of those but my
post? In typical fashion when someone is wrong, they tend to attack around here.

Brady always had a security blanket . Someone he could trust in passing game . Brown , Welker, Branch , Gronk & Edelman. Cam doesn't have that option right now. Edelman is dealing with a injury . BB put all his faith In Harry , Meyers& Gunner to step up make a impact.
So Edelman was not dealing with injuries last year? White played last sunday didnt he? Come on folks its the same receiving corp minus the addition of byrd. Oh sorry we lost the brillance of Sanu. Cam has what brady had last year except with more experience and the addition of Byrd.

I'm reserving judgement on this O until we actually have a full slate of legit practices behind us. We have looked good at times when wwe have actually practiced.

edit: Chevss posted at the same time as me. Great minds and all that. :)

So Edelman was not dealing with injuries last year? White played last sunday didnt he? Come on folks its the same receiving corp minus the addition of byrd. Oh sorry we lost the brillance of Sanu. Cam has what brady had last year except with more experience and the addition of Byrd.
Thank you for proving my point. BB did nothing to address the issue in passing game besides Byrd . He's not using the 2 TEs he's drafted to help them out .

The real issue is Cam has never been a check down, take the safe throw type of QB except for the half season under Turner when he was throwing to McCaffrey a lot. He has always been a QB that holds the ball and waits for the longer developing plays. I saw a stat that his average time to throw on Sunday was over 4 seconds. That will not work on our offense. He has to be patient and take the short throws to keep drives going and avoid the sacks/negative plays.

Thank you for proving my point. BB did nothing to address the issue in passing game besides Byrd . He's not using the 2 TEs he's drafted to help them out .
Well yeah I know. lol. There was an issue last year, and some fans thought that issue was what left town, but the issue remains.

The real issue is Cam has never been a check down, take the safe throw type of QB except for the half season under Turner when he was throwing to McCaffrey a lot. He has always been a QB that holds the ball and waits for the longer developing plays. I saw a stat that his average time to throw on Sunday was over 4 seconds. That will not work on our offense. He has to be patient and take the short throws to keep drives going and avoid the sacks/negative plays.
Yeah that would have never worked on this offense. I literally talked to Carolina fans, and they all said, his biggest issue was awareness, not to take the big sack, to get rid of the ball, to take a smaller play instead of always waiting for the spectacular play. I mean word for word. Maybe this can be couched out of him this year I dont know. People go back to the Seattle game to show his passing skills, but forget one thing...did they watch the game? He had zero pass rush, literally at times stood there for 4 or 5 seconds waiting for a guy to get open. Seattle is near the bottom of the league in QB pressure, so with that kind of D, he is gtg...sadly not all teams play D that way.

I like when players make an excuse and then say they are not going to make an excuse. lol

On none of the bullet points is there a player making an excuse. I don't understand your comment. Are you talking about Cam saying he didn't play well because of lack of practice? If so, you're grasping at straws.

Back