Looking at the Patriots - 2020

Pats picked up TE Jordan Thomas on waivers (Cardinals)
TE Jordan Thomas fits the Pats' usual physical type for a tight end. 6'5", 255lbs.
His 21 career catches 223 yards and 4 touchdowns are all new high marks for the current Patriots TE group.

You mean he can potentially be targeted instead of being used as a glorified sixth OL?

The pats don’t need a true number one WR. That’s a waste of resources and cap space.

They need 2 or 3 average guys, and one guy like Diggs who’s slightly above average. Competent drafting can accomplish this.

At least the Jets game should show that the odds of belichick tanking for a draft pick are zero
I agree but not sure that is smart either. We need a lot of help and high picks would go a long way in helping us rebuild faster.

I agree but not sure that is smart either. We need a lot of help and high picks would go a long way in helping us rebuild faster.

BB has always coveted value. All of the top 10 picks from this year's draft received at least $20 million guaranteed, top 15 about $15 million guaranteed. I'd like Trevor Lawrence as much as the next guy but (whether anyone agrees or not) I'd have to imagine BB has ID'd a guy in the 16-32 range he covets more based on talent + perceived overall value.

At least the Jets game should show that the odds of belichick tanking for a draft pick are zero
I'd loathe to see the team tank. Not that I ever thought Bill will contemplate it for a second, but there's something unedifying about seeing a team do that. To basically not care each week. And it's very unfair on players imho. It's such a short career window they have, you're asking them to give up a precious year of playing time to sit in the doldrums.

BB has always coveted value. All of the top 10 picks from this year's draft received at least $20 million guaranteed, top 15 about $15 million guaranteed. I'd like Trevor Lawrence as much as the next guy but (whether anyone agrees or not) I'd have to imagine BB has ID'd a guy in the 16-32 range he covets more based on talent + perceived overall value.

It's not really all that bad spread out over 4 years, plus there's the 5th year option which can be huge if things work out. Choose wisely and I'd argue you've got yourself a bargain based on yearly cap space.

1st pick, 2019, Kyler Murray signed for $35M over 4 years with a $23.5M signing bonus. $8.4M/ is cheap for a starting QB. BB would likely give a 1st rnd QB not named Trevor Lawrence a 1 year redshirt so 35M over 3 years is still only $11.7M/yr. Joe Burrow signed for $36M in 2020 - $9M/. That's Marcus Mariota money today! Damn good value if you ask me so long as BB chooses the guy wisely.

15th pick, 2019, Dwayne Haskins signed for $14.4M with an $8.5M signing bonus. That was a bad pick by Washington. This year, Jerry Jeudy got $15.2M/$8.6M as the 15th pick.

If BB wants to pick a top QB in this coming draft, there's no way the contract will stop him from getting his guy.

Yesterday the Pats:
  • Claimed TE Jordan Thomas on waivers from the Cardinals
  • Signed TEs Dyland Cantrell and David Wells to practice squad
  • Cut LB Cassh Maluia
  • Placed TE Dalton Keene on IR
  • Released DL Ryan Glasgow from practice squad

trash GIF

I'd loathe to see the team tank. Not that I ever thought Bill will contemplate it for a second, but there's something unedifying about seeing a team do that. To basically not care each week. And it's very unfair on players imho. It's such a short career window they have, you're asking them to give up a precious year of playing time to sit in the doldrums.
I do think Bill is doing a soft tank with all the players he has been sitting or putting IR. I think it is smart business. He told us that he didn't have the money this year to improve the roster so we just have to wait until the off-season to see what he does with the cap and the picks.

I do think Bill is doing a soft tank with all the players he has been sitting or putting IR. I think it is smart business. He told us that he didn't have the money this year to improve the roster so we just have to wait until the off-season to see what he does with the cap and the picks.
More likely the case. Just hard to fathom after all the years of success

Folk should've shanked it... :coffee:

Last edited:
More likely the case. Just hard to fathom after all the years of success
It is in one way but if you think back to 2009-2013, we went through the same thing but we had Brady to carry the team to double digit wins. We had to transition from the first era of SB wins with Brown, Bruschi, Law, etc to the new era with Edelman, Gronk, Hightower, McCourty. Remember how awful the defense was those years? It happens to every team eventually. We just didn't notice it as much because we were still competing with Brady. I think we will be fine in a few years once Bill retools. Paramount is finding the Qb. If he can find that player sooner rather than later than the rebuild will seem much shorter and more bearable.

I feel BB will be like last year's Dolphins. They looked like hot trash at the beginning, but Flores righted the ship. Eventually by the end of the year they were playing hard and winning tough games. I still see Pats around 8-8 and leaving us hopeful for next year seeing how hard the team plays.

Nick Folk has been named the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.
His 51 yd FG is the longest in Pats history for a last second win.

During Cam's 4thQ TD sneak, Onwenu downblocked his guy into the Hudson River and Shaq wiped his target out, too. Double stack of pancakes. I don't believe that was the intended hole, but Newton saw the carnage and followed the path of least resistance.

Our OL is pretty damn good now and will get better if they can stay on the field. Our running stats are even more impressive since nobody uses extra coverage on the receivers or TE versus us. It's 8 in the box on almost every snap and we're still running effectively. That is unusual.

Back