Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Uche was a bright spot for the Patriots' draft last year.

The bad news: The Pats have drafted 62 players since 2014. Only 1 of those players made the Pro-Bowl - Punter Jake Bailey last season. (Thuney made 2nd team All Pro in 2019.)
BB has to get his hands all over this upcoming draft. Maybe with Caserio gone, he will. I hope so.

View: https://twitter.com/Ryan_Spags/status/1377986247906430978

Last edited:
Uche is fast and appears crazy strong for his size. That push and rip move on the clip was beautiful and that San Diego OT (who to be fair is one of the worst you'll see) was not the only much bigger guy that Uche pushed around.

I look forward to him getting more comfortable in our scheme so he can stay on the field more. He's not just a pass rusher, either, but he did appear to have some growing pains in run defense like any young guy. He made wow plays and some mistakes, but those wow plays are where he is headed.

He's the future face of this D and I look forward to seeing him take a major step forward this season.

I agree with your points - free agency is one of the tools a good GM uses in the off-season to help improve a roster.

I think 2001 showed that Belichick could use free agency effectively to help build a team - it's the gold standard that other GMs look at as how money can be well-spent during the free agency period.

Mike Vrabel, Antowain Smith, Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer, Larry Izzo, Anthony Pleasant, Mark Edwards and David Patten were all key pieces of that team that were added via free agency. (Otis Smith and Joe Andruzzi were free agents Belichick added the previous year.)

Hitting on both Richard Seymour and Matt Light in the 2001 draft was also a key. And I think there was a guy from the year 2000 draft that came off the bench and did his job.
That was a masterful job by Bill as he inherited a roster that was upside down in 2000. The key difference though between that year and this year is Bill signed low cost FAs to fill in holes on the roster. He had a great core in place - Law, Bruschi, Brown, Glenn, McGinest, Milloy, Adam, etc. That is how FA is supposed to be used to help complete a team. But as you mention, he hit the jackpot in the draft with Light, Seymour and of course Brady (2000) which propelled the team to a champ level.

Looking at this year, we spent the most money we ever have on day one to help build a team because we don't have a core due to poor drafting and not extending guys from the 2010s. We had to go out and buy a team basically. That is not how FA works best. The draft is how you build a team. Kraft said that is his interview and also that the Patriots have changed their approach to the draft given how poor it has been the last few years. That being said, if we can significantly upgrade the QB position then I think we contend a lot faster and the rebuild is very short but of course that is easier said than done. But it all starts with that position and this year's draft.

That was a masterful job by Bill as he inherited a roster that was upside down in 2000. The key difference though between that year and this year is Bill signed low cost FAs to fill in holes on the roster. He had a great core in place - Law, Bruschi, Brown, Glenn, McGinest, Milloy, Adam, etc. That is how FA is supposed to be used to help complete a team. But as you mention, he hit the jackpot in the draft with Light, Seymour and of course Brady (2000) which propelled the team to a champ level.

Looking at this year, we spent the most money we ever have on day one to help build a team because we don't have a core due to poor drafting and not extending guys from the 2010s. We had to go out and buy a team basically. That is not how FA works best. The draft is how you build a team. Kraft said that is his interview and also that the Patriots have changed their approach to the draft given how poor it has been the last few years. That being said, if we can significantly upgrade the QB position then I think we contend a lot faster and the rebuild is very short but of course that is easier said than done. But it all starts with that position and this year's draft.
What would you do? The O had big holes lacking WRs and TEs. We have been trying to fill those hole in the draft, but have failed.

So there BB is with a lot of holes and a lot of cap space. Should he not adress it in FA? At least it will give the QB we end up playing a fighting chance, unlike 2019 and 2020.

QB should obviously be adressed aswell, but that is more difficult without mortaging the future. Trading into top 5 in the draft will cost us a minimum of 3 1st round picks. We dont know if it is possible to get Wilson or Watson, but I am sure enquiries have been made.

Last edited:
What would you do? The O had big holes lacking WRs and TEs. We have been trying to fill those hole in the draft, but have failed.

So there BB is with a lot of holes and a lot of cap space. Should he not adress it in FA? At least it will give the QB we end up playing a fighting chance, unlike 2019 and 2020.

QB should obviously be adressed aswell, but that is more difficult without mortaging the future. Trading into top 5 in the draft will cost us a minimum of 3 1st round picks. We dont know if it is possible to get Wilson or Watson, but I am sure enquiries have been made.
I would have spent the money like Bill did. He had not choice. He had to. Too may holes to fill because of the terrible roster management which is what left us with the cap space to begin with. We were a bottom third roster.

The discussion I was having was not whether Bill should have spent the money but how effective building a team through FA will be. Teams that generally spend what we did in FA do not have success especially when you add on top that we do not have a viable QB. That is why this year's draft is so key and also why I am sure Kraft/Bill decided to shake up the draft process. We have to hit on this draft or else we will be set back even further in the rebuild. I agree about QB. It is the most difficult position to find but without it you have no chance of competing for a chip. I am fine with giving up whatever we have to if Bill/Josh identify THE guy for the team. Fire the bullets and go get him whether that is in the draft or trying to trade for someone.

I agree with Al. I'm not looking to move to Florida, but I stayed in Naples for a while and thought it was one of the nicer parts of Florida that I've been in. Somewhat gentrified and expensive, but crossed with a laid-back vibe and outdoor lifestyle. Lots of folks on bikes in the downtown area which has some charm. Bike paths everywhere, in fact. Vanderbilt beach was better than any Atlantic side beach that I've seen.
Agreed. Just my style and the wife is coming around. Looking for a semi-retirement 2nd. Baby steps for my 29 year plan to get my wife to leave the Great Lakes State, LOL.

I think you meant Caribbean side, right? Vanderbilt is nice as are several others, but Vandy offers the close parking/shorter walk, flat seas and slight small tide moves that make it predictable and enjoyable. It was getting crowded last week, though.

JG graded out worse, performance-wise, than Cam last year. And with better weapons and years longer in the system.

Nothing to say that's not just about fit in the offense, but something to keep in mind. He plays a little prettier, so it can be easy to forget.

I hope they don't go this route. Certainly not at the cost of a first.

JG graded out worse, performance-wise, than Cam last year. And with better weapons and years longer in the system.

Nothing to say that's not just about fit in the offense, but something to keep in mind. He plays a little prettier, so it can be easy to forget.

I hope they don't go this route. Certainly not at the cost of a first.
Everyone knows Shanny's system is not a fit for Jimmy. If Bill really believed any of that he would not have offered a 2 for Jimmy. Remember this is the Qb Bill saw as the heir apparent to Brady and he was groomed for 3.5 years. He really is the best bridge option right now.

Everyone knows Shanny's system is not a fit for Jimmy. If Bill really believed any of that he would not have offered a 2 for Jimmy. Remember this is the Qb Bill saw as the heir apparent to Brady and he was groomed for 3.5 years. He really is the best bridge option right now.
We don't know he offered a 2, and Shanahans system is supposed to fit all sorts of QBs - it's "QB friendly," as we've been told 1000 times. We have an unnamed source saying - against team interests - that JG was plan A. That whole story makes no sense unless it was that he was plan A...in 2016. Or else pure misinformation.

I think JG would play better here than he has in SF. I'm less confident that he'd play better than Cam would with a full off-season and more time to have healed. And even less confident that he'll stay on the field.

Would I take a guaranteed-healthy JG over a guaranteed-healthy Cam? I don't know. I don't think we'll see 2015 Cam again, but I don't think we'll see 2017(?) JG either. Given that I don't see a strong case either way, why would I be in favor of giving up a pick? Use the 2nd or third on Trask, Mills, or Monds. Or whoever they think can do the job. Or use it to trade up in the 1st if they think that's how to get their man.

But you're talking about spending the #15 for a bridge QB, not the QB of the future. Hard pass.

We don't know he offered a 2, and Shanahans system is supposed to fit all sorts of QBs - it's "QB friendly," as we've been told 1000 times. We have an unnamed source saying - against team interests - that JG was plan A. That whole story makes no sense unless it was that he was plan A...in 2016. Or else pure misinformation.

I think JG would play better here than he has in SF. I'm less confident that he'd play better than Cam would with a full off-season and more time to have healed. And even less confident that he'll stay on the field.

Would I take a guaranteed-healthy JG over a guaranteed-healthy Cam? I don't know. I don't think we'll see 2015 Cam again, but I don't think we'll see 2017(?) JG either. Given that I don't see a strong case either way, why would I be in favor of giving up a pick? Use the 2nd or third on Trask, Mills, or Monds. Or whoever they think can do the job. Or use it to trade up in the 1st if they think that's how to get their man.

But you're talking about spending the #15 for a bridge QB, not the QB of the future. Hard pass.
Would I take a guaranteed-healthy JG over a guaranteed-healthy Cam? Absolutely. JG can run the entire offense. Cam can not. Remember, BB would not have been looking to move on from TFB if he didn't already know that JG could run the complete offense.

Health is always a risk for any player. For JG, more so, but he was healthy enough in college to get selected in the second. JG is still only 29. For now, I am dismissing the concern.

At his age and ability to run the O I don't view JG to be the bridge should we get him.

If we can get JG and a late round pick this year or even next for our 2nd I would do it. I think BB would do it. Keep Cam for the year. Maybe even keep Stid if he has any chance of a real 2nd year bounce. Cam and Stid are cheap.

25 million is a concern I admit, but if you make this deal you think you are getting your starter for a few years. In that scenario it really isn't expensive. It gives BB a chance to make a selection on D (Micah, please and thank you).

Now let's watch BB do nothing at QB this year, LOL.

Last edited:

What? Who is everyone? Talking again not knowing what you're talking about? Link please
Shanahan's system is good for any QB. RG3, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins. JG is the perfect QB for Shanny's rolling pockets and play-action designs that incorporate a good running game.

BB offered a 2 when?

How can you dismiss JG’s fragility? The guy is glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
He has been injury prone. But wasn’t until he left the Pats. Every single QB in the league can be done in one play if hit wrong.

Back