Looking At The Patriots 2022

I had breakfast with BB once. I was a minute late, indecisive on where to sit, wasn't prepared to order when the waitress came to the table, and fumbled my toast into my coffee. I have since been cut from the breakfast roster.
Late? I am amazed he even let you sit down.

True. I noted this offseason that we had about 6 safeties on the roster and only one of them is a capable deep defender. And he's 32.

It wasn't as glaring as that Waddle TD, but after the opening drive tipped pick to Javon Holland, we had Miami stopped at midfield and they made to go for it on 4th down. They ended up calling a TO and again lined up. Our D, no doubt, reminded each other "whatever you do, don't jump!" and yet Carl Davis did exactly that extending their drive which wound up in a field goal and a Dolphins lead. We'd been making those sort of pre-snap/unforced errors all summer and it continued into the season. Not good. That initial part of the game felt like a 10-point swing.

Pure mental mistake, one of about a half-dozen that dug a hole for us in that first half.
I have high hopes for Bledsoe. He seems capable of knowing where the ball is / going and can function working downfield.
He made a play against Alabama very similar to the Jason McCourty play in the super bowl.

I have high hopes for Bledsoe. He seems capable of knowing where the ball is / going and can function working downfield.
He made a play against Alabama very similar to the Jason McCourty play in the super bowl.
His wine? Oh wait, nevermind...

Yes, Bentley was there. Arguably the guy who ended up with the best chance of making the tackle but as he dove in an attempt to grab Waddle's ankles, Dugger collided with him and took Bentley out of the play. Mills was also hot-doggin' it on that play, too; it appeared to be man-coverage and Mills had outside leverage - after getting beat, he pulled up and started jogging, leaving the job to Dugger and Bentley.

Any of those three (Dugger, Bentley, Mills) could have made the tackle but didn't for different reasons. Dugger took a bad angle. Bentley was taken out by Dugger. Mills bailed on the play after he gave up the catch. No bueno all around.

That play, along with the no-call tipped INT, and the strip-sack, were the three biggest plays in the game. Those three plays alone were worth anywhere from 14-21 points (very likely 21 since a rightfully called DPI on the opening drive would've put the ball on the Dolphins 1 yard line). The game was decided by 13 points.

Can't give up those big plays at all, but especially right before half.
Mills and Bryant...both late to the plays...hot doggin it with cheese. Glad that I'm not the only one who notices this.

It's possible, but he might be on the 3-year plan. When a young guy tears it up in camp I don't waste time thinking he's ready to play. I figure it means he's got another 18 months of seasoning left before he's ready to crack the code and take snaps. He's getting "close".

Sarcasm aside, Bledsoe's a sturdy kid and does look like a player, but I'd appreciate more pure speed at the position. DMac isn't going to last forever. Bledsoe looks like more of a box guy than a Duron Harmon type.

Next week I mean...and I hope I'm wrong. Meyers is Jones most dependable player.
JM is fine. On this team he is a valuable vet that can speak a bit. He has earned it. Bourne got a little out in front of his skis. That's ok. Mac spoke on Kendrick's behalf finding him often when on the field. That isn't accidental.

At the risk of sounding ridiculous...

Is there too much depth in the offensive skill positions? I mean, being able to absorb the inevitable injuries with quality depth who are basically as good as your starters is great, of course. But until that happens are you hurting the rhythm, explosiveness, and continuity of the offense by not being able to focus snaps and touches with your "top" few guys?

To illustrate, I have Meyers with 100% of offensive snaps yesterday, and Humphrey beating out Bourne. At TE, Smith saw more snaps than Henry, and Stevenson more than Harris at RB. If I had suggested those two weeks ago, all but maybe the last one would have been met with much head scratching and hand-wringing, no?

Or maybe the idea is that the chemistry will develop at different rates, but by the end of the year you've developed a deep well of connections that everyone trusts and feels good about.

I do know that having so many weapons doesn't help that much if the QB locks in on a couple of them. Hopefully the OL can make Mac feel comfortable so he can get back to scanning the field and just going to the open man again.

At the risk of sounding ridiculous...

Is there too much depth in the offensive skill positions? I mean, being able to absorb the inevitable injuries with quality depth who are basically as good as your starters is great, of course. But until that happens are you hurting the rhythm, explosiveness, and continuity of the offense by not being able to focus snaps and touches with your "top" few guys?

To illustrate, I have Meyers with 100% of offensive snaps yesterday, and Humphrey beating out Bourne. At TE, Smith saw more snaps than Henry, and Stevenson more than Harris at RB. If I had suggested those two weeks ago, all but maybe the last one would have been met with much head scratching and hand-wringing, no?

Or maybe the idea is that the chemistry will develop at different rates, but by the end of the year you've developed a deep well of connections that everyone trusts and feels good about.

I do know that having so many weapons doesn't help that much if the QB locks in on a couple of them. Hopefully the OL can make Mac feel comfortable so he can get back to scanning the field and just going to the open man again.
No such thing as too much depth. Jones wasn't as accurate as he should be. It might be because that he playing hurt.

No such thing as too much depth. Jones wasn't as accurate as he should be. It might be because that he playing hurt.
Could be. I'm just not seeing the chemistry/trust between Parker & Jones. Parker should be a security blanket more than a weapon: if no one is open, put it where Parker has a chance to fight for it. But without a ton of trust, that's not easy for a QB to do.

Back