Looking At The Patriots 2022

PFF's pass blocking grades from yesterday.

Wynn though :doh:
I've never seen a grade that low.

FfSMSKEXkAQ7Jyl

My take on the Zappe-Jones situation going forward:

Belichick suggested this morning that Jones wasn’t cleared to play against Cleveland.

Presumably, even if Jones is cleared by Monday night, he won’t be at 100%. To me, that makes the decision to start Zappe against Chicago the safe and easy one, as Belichick still has the built-in explanation of Jones not being 100%.

Where things will likely come to a head is going to be October 30, against the Jets. That will probably be the game where the decision on a starter has to be made with Jones at/near 100%.

If I was a betting man, I’d put my money on Zappe. But I’ll be happy with either so long as the team is winning.

I'm going to give a lot of credit to Matt Patricia, it looks much better compared to August. Kudos for having the intelligence to adjust scheme and plays if it's not working (stretch run) or due to different QBs.
I mean it's not rocket science. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Mac was 10% PA in his first few games while Zappe is 30%. That's a deliberate coaching decision clearly.

When Mac is back, just let him run that Zappe offense with some tweaks clearly, with the bigger and better defenses coming.

The Zappe offense looks so damn simple. Part of that is down to the QB and his excellent vision, poise and accuracy but it's good play-calling from the coaches. I know we can't PA our way to the playoffs, but simple, effective plays should be the order of the day, not asking Mac to make 50-50 passes to Parker in deep coverage in the EZ.

If we had scored on that opening drive in Miami, the opening drive of the season, when Mac drove them brilliantly downfield, the game would have been different and I'm convinced we would,d have won. The momentum and confidence that would have given the team would have been immense.

One thing is certain, we need Damo Harris back ASAP. Rhambo can't carry the run game on his own. We're far better with those two alternating in the back field.

Belichick suggested this morning that Jones wasn’t cleared to play against Cleveland.

Presumably, even if Jones is cleared by Monday night, he won’t be at 100%. To me, that makes the decision to start Zappe against Chicago the safe and easy one, as Belichick still has the built-in explanation of Jones not being 100%.

Where things will likely come to a head is going to be October 30, against the Jets. That will probably be the game where the decision on a starter has to be made with Jones at/near 100%.

Generally speaking a high ankle sprain is called a 6-8 week injury which puts a return around the Colts game, a week before the bye....he may not play until the 2nd Jets game 11/20.

Most if not all those games will be winnable with Zappe, if we roll through those games, then Mac returns, we have Jets,Vikings,Bills in 12 days...

Mac was 10% PA in his first few games while Zappe is 30%. That's a deliberate coaching decision clearly.

When Mac is back, just let him run that Zappe offense with some tweaks clearly, with the bigger and better defenses coming.

The Zappe offense looks so damn simple. Part of that is down to the QB and his excellent vision, poise and accuracy but it's good play-calling from the coaches. I know we can't PA our way to the playoffs, but simple, effective plays should be the order of the day, not asking Mac to make 50-50 passes to Parker in deep coverage in the EZ.

If we had scored on that opening drive in Miami, the opening drive of the season, when Mac drove them brilliantly downfield, the game would have been different and I'm convinced we would,d have won. The momentum and confidence that would have given the team would have been immense.

One thing is certain, we need Damo Harris back ASAP. Rhambo can't carry the run game on his own. We're far better with those two alternating in the back field.
My preference would be for Mac to run this Zappe offense with the occasional look downfield. P/A alone will not win forever and downfield alone will not win. The same way you use running to set up the play action, use slants and outs to set up the payday passes. I would think 5 or so throw it deep a game should be enough. Even if you don't hit on them, it keeps the defense honest.

Hearing teams have been inquiring about the availability of Kendrick Bourne and Agholor. Bourne would welcome a trade.
So far BB has turned a deaf ear but that can change.
The trade deadline is 4PM, Tuesday, Nov. 1. 2 weeks from today.

Last edited:
I think the chuck it deep stuff was an edict from Bill Belichick, having to get more explosive offensively, and truthfully, they did, so they tried some stuff out.

With Zappe, I don't think they have the luxury of 'trying stuff' like they could with Mac Jones, so this is more like what the offense would have been like later in the year. I mean, Patricia is still calling a very safe game for Zappe, the training wheels are definitely on, and they were off with Jones. Everyone's still learning, and everyone seems to be improving each week By the time December rolls around, they really might be onto something, especially when everyone's healthy.

I'm not even really considering the competition they've faced at this point - the kids getting better each week is what matters to me, and will make the difference as the year goes on.

Like, not having Damien Harris yesterday really showed. I think Stevenson could still be great, but Harris needs to get his 10 carries to make it all work. Stevenson was definitely gassed at times being in there every snap.

It was probably BB letting his staff choose. BB has given his staff guys a lot of autonomy contrary to popular belief.

Hearing teams have been inquiring about the availability of Kendrick Bourne and Agholor. Bourne would welcome a trade.
So far BB has turned a deaf ear but that can change.
The trade deadline is 4PM, Tuesday, Nov. 1. 2 weeks from today.
Any of those teams have a RT to spare? 🙏

I don't think we're at the end of the Bourne story. Agholor may have signed his ticket out of town with the fumbles and turnovers, especially with Thornton starting to emerge.

How much does he cost? What is his cap hit?
Bourne is pretty reasonably priced through 2023. Agholor is expensive this year, but an expiring contract. A team trading for Agholor would probably want to have a deal in place before signing.

My preference would be for Mac to run this Zappe offense with the occasional look downfield. P/A alone will not win forever and downfield alone will not win. The same way you use running to set up the play action, use slants and outs to set up the payday passes. I would think 5 or so throw it deep a game should be enough. Even if you don't hit on them, it keeps the defense honest.
Bingo. Please, let's have exactly that.

Last edited:
Back