Looking at the Patriots 2023

Well today's gonna be a good day with the draft and people here. :coffee:,

Oh, vey

w/ their #1 pick in The 2023 NFL Draft, The New England Patriots have traded down w/ Philadelphia for 1 late-2nd round pick, an early 3rd round and 1 round 5th pick for agreeing to take Matt Patricia

Team sources say Bill is always looking for a good long snapper anyways and is allegedly quoted saying:

"there's got to be someone, somewheres out there because we need to have competition for Cardona sometime"

how's that Musie? 😘

"MY OPINION" is that the game has passed Bill Belichick and his methods and style are about 15 years behind. The modern NFL is a league of mobile quarterbacks and high-speed receivers. Bill is still in the 'pocket passer' and 'timing route wide receivers' mode. As such, the Patriots pose no threat to teams that are now speeding up their defenses because their offenses are top 10. Bill is playing Atari while the rest of the league is moving toward PS5.
:doh:

49, 51 and 53 disagree.

I ask you the same question. Who do you get to replace them . To Fix problems using CURRENT CAP & draft . Have a actual football discussion . Instead of being just another angry bitter Fan .
First I'd look to a successful college coach like Ryan Ray. (He played QB at my grandson's HS) Look to someone in their late 30's and early 40's with experience dealing with young players. BB is responsible for the cap situation and that can't be fixed until next year when the dead money and current money becomes adjusted and opens up.

This is all part of any football discussion. I'm not bitter about anything. I coached youth sports including HS football for 30 years and I may have a different aspect than others, but I knew when it was time to quit. Bill is hanging on for dear life to catch Shula's win record. Right now, it looks like he'll be in Foxboro for the next three or four years before he can amass another 24 wins.

2022 was a disaster that Shakespeare couldn't describe in any way that's palatable. Bill's decision to bring back Patricia and Judge was understandable but putting them in charge of the offense was bizarre, to say the least. As is the Belichick we all know, he does not feel any need to apologize or explain himself. It's on to the next thing and put negatives behind us.

I've argued with posters and live people almost to the point where people have wanted to take a swing at me. "MY OPINION" is that the game has passed Bill Belichick and his methods and style are about 15 years behind. The modern NFL is a league of mobile quarterbacks and high-speed receivers. Bill is still in the 'pocket passer' and 'timing route wide receivers' mode. As such, the Patriots pose no threat to teams that are now speeding up their defenses because their offenses are top 10. Here's the problem. Bill is 71 years old. He can't change. I'm two years older than Bill and I saw the changes coming when RGIII was drafted. He didn't last, but the next level came and we started seeing QBs with cannon arms and legs that could move.

The players today are not complacent, accepting people like they were in 1995 or even 2005. These guys were raised playing Madden and have a much deeper understanding of the new game of lightning reaction and millisecond response. Bill is playing Atari while the rest of the league is moving toward PS5.
3d66be31bfbb028033623c34fc8a8c56.jpg

Jesus, hyperbole much, Bill blundered replacing the exodus of offensive coaches, but despite having a relatively tough schedule the Patriots finished 15th in DVOA, had the 10th highest point differential, had relatively bad luck in a few close games, had the 3rd ranked defense (DVOA), and had what appears to be a decent draft.

It was a disappointing season but there were positives to build on for 2023.
Some here seem to suffer from
FD0045-%E2%80%93-Essential-Guides_Hero_Imagery_English_01.png

2022 was a disaster that Shakespeare couldn't describe in any way that's palatable. Bill's decision to bring back Patricia and Judge was understandable but putting them in charge of the offense was bizarre, to say the least. As is the Belichick we all know, he does not feel any need to apologize or explain himself. It's on to the next thing and put negatives behind us.

I've argued with posters and live people almost to the point where people have wanted to take a swing at me. "MY OPINION" is that the game has passed Bill Belichick and his methods and style are about 15 years behind. The modern NFL is a league of mobile quarterbacks and high-speed receivers. Bill is still in the 'pocket passer' and 'timing route wide receivers' mode. As such, the Patriots pose no threat to teams that are now speeding up their defenses because their offenses are top 10. Here's the problem. Bill is 71 years old. He can't change. I'm two years older than Bill and I saw the changes coming when RGIII was drafted. He didn't last, but the next level came and we started seeing QBs with cannon arms and legs that could move.

The players today are not complacent, accepting people like they were in 1995 or even 2005. These guys were raised playing Madden and have a much deeper understanding of the new game of lightning reaction and millisecond response. Bill is playing Atari while the rest of the league is moving toward PS5.

Shakespearean? Really? Yes the Patricia/Jusge thing was a cluster-F and deserves scorn, but let's have a little perspective please. Because it was fairly obvious that it could go sideways from the beginning some folks blow the magnitude of it out of proportion. Plenty of other teams have made more costly mistakes that were not as visible or obvious, as evidenced by the fact that the Patriots will wait on 13 other teams before selecting at 14.

One of Bill's strengths is the ability to fix his mistakes and move on. I believe that Bill has done a good job in mitigating some prior mistakes (all teams make them) and placing the team in a decent position to compete in 2023 and forward:
1. Bill O’Brien and Klemm replace Judge/Patricia. 2. The bad contracts from 2021 FA have been traded, released, restructured, or not re-signed. 3. They have the most cap space of any team over the next 3 years. 4. Bill amassed the 7th most draft capital for this year's draft.
5. The front office has been revamped.
6. They resigned or upgraded all of their key FAs, improved at TE and OL, and added depth before draft.
7. All of the above will improve a team that, despite all of it's Shakespearean warts, was ranked 15th in DVOA.

In your spiel about fast modern offenses for some reason you skipped over the fact that in last year's draft they added the fastest WR (injury was not due to slight build or indicative of being injury prone) available and the fastest RB available, both of whom should see more playing time this year.

Last edited:

You seem like a pretty good guy and you express yourself clearly, but I'll be pleased to add your name to the list of people who are going to be very wrong about putting Ol' Pops out in the garage because company is coming over.

My prediction for 2023 is that Belichick reminds everybody why he is the smartest guy in the League.

Every trend has it's strengths and weaknesses and I might point out that we've won 6 rings against teams that were more talented, more dynamic, more modern than we were. I might also point out that your mobile QBs come with an asterisk as Baltimore and Arizona found out last season and as The Chiefs damn near did too as Mahomes played brilliantly on one leg. Tua was a good runner, but he won't be any more. Do you think NFL teams are more inclined or less inclined to ask their QB to run than they were one year ago? Speed kills, but it comes with huge risk unless you plan on competing for a Championship with your backup because Mr. Mobile is on crutches.

While the rise of Fantasy football has people getting goosebumps over Justin Fields and Jalen Hurts, the last 10 Super Bowl Championship teams had one "mobile QB" in Russell Wilson and two wins by Mahomes who is an excellent situational runner and the best QB in the League overall. I will call it 7 to 3 in favor of the pockets -- so --- when exactly does this revolution start?

Mobile QBs only work if the player is very judicious about when to take off and is an accomplished passer as well. And it's still only 3 of the last 10. Josh Allen will qualify just as soon as he quits trying to stop cannonballs with his face to pump his teammates up.

The revolution started in 1968 with Fran Tarkenton. We've seen some great running QBs but sooner or later they all get injured and miss impt games. Lamar Jackson is the poster boy for the new breed of QB but he's been injured to end the last 2 seasons. Kyler Murray, too. I wouldn't classify Russell Wilson as a running QB at this point. Cam was a big strong QB and he got injured. Kyler Murray is a smaller guy and he got injured, too. It doesn't matter how big or strong or elusive a running QB is, sooner or later they popped hard and can't get up. Josh Allen injured his arm last season. Buffalo is on record this off season that they don't want Josh Allen running much so they've upgraded their RBs squad.

First I'd look to a successful college coach like Ryan Ray. (He played QB at my grandson's HS) Look to someone in their late 30's and early 40's with experience dealing with young players. BB is responsible for the cap situation and that can't be fixed until next year when the dead money and current money becomes adjusted and opens up.

This is all part of any football discussion. I'm not bitter about anything. I coached youth sports including HS football for 30 years and I may have a different aspect than others, but I knew when it was time to quit. Bill is hanging on for dear life to catch Shula's win record. Right now, it looks like he'll be in Foxboro for the next three or four years before he can amass another 24 wins.
I would also add that we need to separate out the GM and HC positions. I would prefer to have a standalone GM and a standalone head coach.

Whatever gets Ryan Day out of Columbus I’m all for

Day was an example. Just sick of the retreads continually being spoken about or interviewed for positions.

There are masses of coordinators out there who are drooling for HC positions. Not all of them are GMs.

When you ask who can fill in? Jerrod Mayo is already in Foxboro and deserves a shot. Young, knowledgeable, former player. highly liked and respected by the players on the Patriots. Youth, enthusiasm and new ideas.

Nah, let's stick with BB until he overtakes Shula and then he'll own all of the records. Until Andy Reid goes flying by with Mahomes.

I ask you the same question. Who do you get to replace them . To Fix the problems using CURRENT CAP & draft . Have a actual football discussion . Instead of being just another angry bitter Fan .
You're still trying to defend a wall that has been a pile of pebbles for six months now. It's not being negative to call a spade a spade. Let me paint a picture of what you're waving pom poms for. First, Bill trades a pro bowl level guard for basically nothing, creating a hole we didn't have just weeks before the draft. Then he drafts a 4th round player in the 1st that ended up being benched 3 times and who people here are still trying to pretend was some great pick. Next he trades up for another reach because he's fast, but can't stay on the field or catch the ball. More over, for all that speed he was drafted for Bill ends up having to use the 4th round cb on offense just to generate some kind of threat. You have another rookie cb that gets suspended for disciplinary reasons, all while Bill's hand picked offensive coaches literally destroy the development of a very promising 2nd year QB. Now you want accuse fellow Pats fans of being negative because they refuse to pick the nuts out of the shit that they were served? You can dress up last season anyway that makes you feel better about it but as the saying goes, don't piss down my back an tell me it raining.

Do you mean Ryan Day OSU Buckeyes coach. Being successful in college. Usually doesn’t translate to NFL success. Kliff kingburry was supposed to bring his air raid offense to Arizona.
Nick saban, Chip Kelly , Urban Meyer & Steve Spurrier all failed as NFL HC.
There you go trying to have a reasonable discussion using Facts. You should know by now that facts that don't support their view point just don't matter.

Day was an example. Just sick of the retreads continually being spoken about or interviewed for positions.

There are masses of coordinators out there who are drooling for HC positions. Not all of them are GMs.

When you ask who can fill in? Jerrod Mayo is already in Foxboro and deserves a shot. Young, knowledgeable, former player. highly liked and respected by the players on the Patriots. Youth, enthusiasm and new ideas.

Nah, let's stick with BB until he overtakes Shula and then he'll own all of the records. Until Andy Reid goes flying by with Mahomes.
Mayo is also smart enough to know he isn't ready just yet. Far to many fail to know that fact.

You're still trying to defend a wall that has been a pile of pebbles for six months now. It's not being negative to call a spade a spade. Let me paint a picture of what you're waving pom poms for. First, Bill trades a pro bowl level guard for basically nothing, creating a hole we didn't have just weeks before the draft. Then he drafts a 4th round player in the 1st that ended up being benched 3 times and who people here are still trying to pretend was some great pick. Next he trades up for another reach because he's fast, but can't stay on the field or catch the ball. More over, for all that speed he was drafted for Bill ends up having to use the 4th round cb on offense just to generate some kind of threat. You have another rookie cb that gets suspended for disciplinary reasons, all while Bill's hand picked offensive coaches literally destroy the development of a very promising 2nd year QB. Now you want accuse fellow Pats fans of being negative because they refuse to pick the nuts out of the shit that they were served? You can dress up last season anyway that makes you feel better about it but as the saying goes, don't piss down my back an tell me it raining.
Yet you still fail to see that Cole Strange who was rated late 1st early 2nd by a number of scouts, played very well. Thanks to David Andrews who did most of the coaching for the kid. The O-line last season had lots of issues that can be traced directly back to Patricia's lack of ability to coach them.

Masses? You are literally "ABB". Anybody but Belichick.

You seem quite intelligent. WRT BB, what pushed you over then edge? I bet there was a single moment in time when BB did or did not do something and your mind flipped.

When did Brady walk?

Yet you still fail to see that Cole Strange who was rated late 1st early 2nd by a number of scouts, played very well. Thanks to David Andrews who did most of the coaching for the kid. The O-line last season had lots of issues that can be traced directly back to Patricia's lack of ability to coach them.
Doesn't change the fact that regardless of if Strange ends up a player or not, we didn't even need him. Bill created that hole.

Doesn't change the fact that regardless of if Strange ends up a player or not, we didn't even need him. Bill created that hole.

Created a hole and then proceeded to fill that hole with something that proved to be better than what was there before.

Tampa have already moved on from Mason (and a 7th) for a 6th round pick. Seems clear to me that he sucked in Tampa

You may be correct in the end, and I hope you are. The fact remains that for last year it was a downgrade. Moving on, we will see how it goes.

Back