Looking at the Patriots 2023

KC could benefit from having DHop for sure but do they really need him? They were 1st in total offense & 1st in points scored last year.
They may make him an offer but they'll look for a discount from him. "Hey, we're the Chiefs. How badly do you want a ring?" They have earned that right. He'd be their #1WR.

Plus DHop just signed an agent bc he wasn't getting enough calls.

Buffalo could use him, too. Diggs gets doubled too often and having DHop would change all that. But Hopkins wouldn't be their #1WR automatically since Diggs carries that moniker.

Realistically, both the Chiefs and the Bills have less than $1.5M in cap space. Could they sign Hopkins? Yes, but it would take salary maneuvers that neither team will want to do.

Some other team will offer him more money. Given a choice of $13M/ vs $18M/ which would Hopkins choose?

Other teams said to be interested are the Lions, Cowboys and Browns plus Hopkins already said he'd love to play in Baltimore with Lamar Jackson.
Each of these teams have plusses and minuses. All have cap space to offer more $$ than either Buffalo or the Chiefs.

• Dan Campbell is turning the Lions into something special and his players love him. Jared Goff resurrected his career last year. This is an up-and-coming team - 2nd in the NFC N last yr.
  • Jerruh generally gets what he wants and playing with Dak may also appeal to Hopkins. 2nd in the NFC E last yr and Hopkins may be what Jerruh thinks is missing to get past the Eagles.
  • The Browns have Deshaun Watson, Hopkins' QB on the Texans. They did great things together but the Browns have a long way to go. 4th in the AFC N.
  • The Ravens. Who saw them going after and signing OBJ? Not me. They have the cap to sign Hopkins, too. They want Lamar to run less and giving him this WR duo would do just that and still let Lamar shine. 2nd in the AFC N a couple of games behind Cincy with Lamar hurt much of the year. Oh, my!

Maybe the Ravens should be the real front runner for Hopkins.
I don’t see Lamar Jackson ever becoming the type of QB that could utilize both Odel Beckham Jr. and DeAndre Hopkins. Hell, I don’t think he can change enough to utilize one of them fully effectively never mind both.

I don’t see Lamar Jackson ever becoming the type of QB that could utilize both Odel Beckham Jr. and DeAndre Hopkins. Hell, I don’t think he can change enough to utilize one of them fully effectively never mind both.

Never know til you try. I wouldn't bet against Lamar with a WR group of OBJ, Hopkins, Mike Thomas, Bateman, Duvernay, Agholor, Zay Flowers and James Proche.

View: https://twitter.com/devinmccourty/status/1662059948186951681?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1662059948186951681%7Ctwgr%5E636948f6e99254aee4d1158b01196739cf82d016%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F985thesportshub.com%2Flisticle%2Fformer-patriots-player-jokes-about-teams-ota-punishment%2F%3Fitm_source%3Dparsely-api

That kind of wit will help McCourty in his next role – it was announced earlier this week he’ll be joining NBC’s Football Night in America as a studio analyst. He’s showing right away he won’t pull any punches when discussing his former team.

With so many former Patriots in the media it’s not unusual to see former stars criticize the team. In 2019, Rodney Harrison – who is also at NBC – shared that Bill Belichick once told him, in regards to his media career, “Look, if you guys have to criticize me, I understand it. You have a job to do.” When the team makes mistakes – as they did in this case – it’s now part of the job for McCourty to talk about it.

Meanwhile, the Patriots will get back to practice on Wednesday after their two canceled sessions. For more on what to expect, check out our OTA and Minicamp preview.

Never know til you try. I wouldn't bet against Lamar with a WR group of OBJ, Hopkins, Mike Thomas, Bateman, Duvernay, Agholor, Zay Flowers and James Proche.

Great group but he has to both want to do it AND be able to do it when the desire (or need) to run presents itself. He has the arm. Does he have the will to overcome his well developed instinct to run? That will be the question. I hope he does because he is well on the decline already if he doesn't stop running. Time is not on his side.

Money is though so there is that! :insane:

Also of interest

11. Rhamondre Stevenson will lead the NFL in rushing

The Patriots’ tailback is an unquestioned No. 1, with Ty Montgomery looking like he’ll assume the third-down responsibilities. Stevenson was 12th among running backs last year and roughly 600 yards off the pace set by Josh Jacobs, but he was in a fundamentally broken system with a more definitive platoon of backs.

17. Bryce Young will break the NFL record for …

Most consecutive completions by a rookie quarterback in the modern era. Mac Jones currently holds the record, which stands at 19. The Panthers will design a lot of easy completions for Young to get him into the flow of games. One week, he’s just not going to stop.

41. We will get really upset about something strategically savvy the Raiders do this season and blame Tom Brady

How weird is this going to be? The Raiders’ fan base, one of the most consistently aggrieved and conspiracy-theory-minded in the NFL, is now owned and controlled by a consortium of former Patriots. In Week 4, something strange is going to happen with the manipulation of their game day active roster or injury report, and the rest of the league is going to look straight at the pseudo-retired quarterback in the owner’s suite for answers.

51. The squib kick will rule 2023

One of the potential side effects of giving players a fair catch at the 25-yard line on kickoffs is that more teams will try to strategically squib the ball to prevent action and negatively shift the opposition’s starting field position. There is little doubt Bill Belichick has spent the spring with a tee, lecturing his kicker.

55. Five teams that made the playoffs last year will miss the postseason this year

The Buccaneers, Dolphins, Giants, Seahawks and Vikings will all be on the outside looking in.

90. Steve Belichick will get a defensive coordinator interview outside of New England

While the Patriots’ pseudo-codefensive coordinator has long been associated with his famous father, one franchise engaged in a far-reaching head coaching hiring cycle will even bring Belichick in for a head coaching interview. The 36-year-old has been an assistant with the Patriots since 2012.

97. Christian Gonzalez will win Defensive Rookie of the Year

As we’ve written a few times, Bill Belichick is still an excellent defensive coach. I’ve spoken to players who say his pregame tips and messaging are so good they feel it’s unfair. While I’m not suggesting his rookie cornerback needs this, if you pair an obviously talented player with expert instruction, the results are typically very good.

Jesus, even Curran is saying the Patriots are vastly different and that they look they most impressive and together since 2019...

FOXBORO -- Nobody knows what the Patriots offense will look like when training camp draws to a close in three months.F

But at Wednesday’s OTA, the efficiency, organization and crispness the Patriots showed announced that -- for the first time since 2019 -- a truly solid foundation is being laid.

Think about it. For the first time post-Brady, the Patriots know during OTAs who they’ll be and how they’ll play on offense.

Last edited:
Serious question, why wouldn't you?

Someone's trying to get someone to talk to him from the team again. :coffee:

Yup.

But he is also 100% correct IMO too. And this isn't hard to see/realize. That some still want to look at last season in a Mac vacuum is really puzzling.

Last edited:
It’s not wrong to say the Patriots made flat out awful personnel moves for a minimum of 6 years. I got called a hater here for who knows how long, but most were readily apparent as soon as they were made.

That said this offseason has been incredible. It’s the first year I’ve been excited to start the season in awhile. I’m not expecting a dramatically different record cause it’s a huge hole to dig out of. We need another offseason like this. But it’s the first time in years I’ve got legit hope for positive development from this team.

It’s not wrong to say the Patriots made flat out awful personnel moves for a minimum of 6 years. I got called a hater here for who knows how long, but most were readily apparent as soon as they were made.
;I don't think you're a hater, and probably neither do most here. Bu t you are so tremendously biased that you can't see the possibility of anything being positive. If you can open your mind for a crack and consider the bolded part of your post, you'll see the issue. No football personnel decision can be judged good or bad immediately after being made. Football just doesn't work that way.

Add this to how wrong you often are. Remember how you went on and on about the Pats winning only 4 game one year and they went to the playoffs? We all have our opinions. We don't all insist that our opinions are fact. Some payers are universally deemed great and turn out to be flops. Others come out of nowhere and even sometimes never get drafted but end up probowl players.

Adam Schein says 2023 will see the Pats miss the playoffs in BB's last season. (It'll be his last seasona because Kraft said geting back to the playoffs is important which obviousy means Kraft wil fire BB if the Pats a frozen out).
To be fair he's been saying that for a decade. It's even longer than Kellerman and Brady's Cliff.

That said this offseason has been incredible. It’s the first year I’ve been excited to start the season in awhile. I’m not expecting a dramatically different record cause it’s a huge hole to dig out of. We need another offseason like this. But it’s the first time in years I’ve got legit hope for positive development from this team.
One of these years they're be 5-12, promise. :coffee:

Yup.

But he is also 100% correct IMO too. And this isn't hard to see/realize. That some still want to look at last season in a Mac vacuum is really puzzling.
Go back through last season, they legit blew at least 4 games they should have won. It's infuriating. And that's not even counting the Bears game where they just no-showed.

Go back through last season, they legit blew at least 4 games they should have won. It's infuriating. And that's not even counting the Bears game where they just no-showed.
Are we disagreeing here?

Back