Looking at the Patriots 2023

Key point in article below.

The newest major detail on the Hopkins-Patriots situation comes from ESPN’s Dianna Russini, who tweeted Wednesday morning: “For those who have raised some concerns about Pats offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien and Hopkins past relationship in Houston, sources have shared there’s no animosity at all.”

O’Brien’s mere presence in New England as the new offensive coordinator seemed like arguably the biggest roadblock to the Patriots signing Hopkins, even more so than anything financial. Certainly more than the idea that Hopkins doesn’t love to practice or that he might not be a fan of Bill Belichick’s tough coaching.

But, apparently, that’s not the problem it appeared to be – and might not have been an issue at all, ever.

View: https://twitter.com/985TheSportsHub/status/1669004520884523008?s=20

Just driving up the Pats offer by making them THINK he may sign right now. Then he can walk into Buffalo with the current number looking for more.

I doubt he signs here.. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
What if they let Guy walk, got a 6 for Parker and a 7, and signed Hopkins and Dalvin Cook? They definitely have the space to do it. Would allow them to do a helluva lot with the RB position, have Montgomery, Gesicki, & Marcus Jones function as extra and matchup WRs...

What if they let Guy walk, got a 6 for Parker and a 7, and signed Hopkins and Dalvin Cook? They definitely have the space to do it. Would allow them to do a helluva lot with the RB position, have Montgomery, Gesicki, & Marcus Jones function as extra and matchup WRs...
I love what Cook would bring to the table but I would have rather seen them invest in a tackle than a diva RB (and RB isn't really a position of need for them).

I love what Cook would bring to the table but I would have rather seen them invest in a tackle than a diva RB (and RB isn't really a position of need for them).
Well, yeah, but I note the tense of the bold. But there really aren't available OTs out there. If we have Cook and Mondre plus the others it allows the leeway to use both as feature backs, as true 3 down backs who get spelled by there others in specific situations, because you're not going to overuse anyone. If and when one gets dinged, you have essentially our current status quo as the fallback.

Right now, what does our RB group look like if Mondre goes down? And I'm saying that as someone who likes both Strong and Harris...

Man, Hopkins is 31 years old and is coming off of a 9 game season with a 10 game season before that. I guess I'm just not that excited for him to be a Patriot.

Man, Hopkins is 31 years old and is coming off of a 9 game season with a 10 game season before that. I guess I'm just not that excited for him to be a Patriot.
9 game season wasn't due to injury, though. And the season he was injured previously was his first with fewer than 15 games. He's not injury prone, and was clearly fully healed when he came back.

He's not been a WR who wins with pure speed or quick twitch, so he's less likely to have the falloff you see for the pure physical freaks at WR. He won't be what he was, and he's always been more subtly excellent than a Moss, Megatron, or Julio type, but he's still outstanding.

Look at the numbers he's put up over the course of his career. Then look at his QBs. He's for real. He's not a mismatch, he's just consistently better than you give him credit for in most areas, and his catch radius, body position, and catching ability erases QB mistakes.

I've not been a big proponent of bringing him aboard given the comp and cash necessary months ago, but I have zero doubt he is a huge upgrade over Parker at that particular role, and forcing the other WRs down to #2/3/4 coverage will be a massive difference in their ability to make a difference.

Apparently the Patriots are putting him through a full workout. That should assuage your concerns a bit.

Back