Mac Jones Is Our QB1

Just to demonstrate how absolutely asinine and mythical the concept of a "ceiling" is for a player:

When someone says Mac Jones' ceiling is Andy Dalton, or Kirk Cousins, or whomever, they are NOT comparing Mac to Dalton, Cousins, etc, as they were at Mac's stage in their respective careers; they are NOT comparing rookie Dalton, Cousins, etc, to rookie Mac. Rather, they're comparing Mac right now to Dalton/Cousins right now, using the totality of an 8, 10, 12 year career (what a player's net career production is) in comparison to Mac's rookie season. Dalton's "ceiling" isn't a "ceiling" -- it's the outcome of his career. Dalton isn't a mediocre, middling QB because of his "ceiling" -- he's a mediocre, middling QB because he didn't play at a high level for a lot of his career. We cannot know what the outcome of Mac's career will be because it hasn't fully occurred yet. It's comparing apples and oranges. Either compare potential against potential, or production against production, but using the net sum career production of a player who has been in the league for 10+ years to project another player's potential is fundamentally flawed.

Another example of how stupid this "ceiling" stuff is: Josh Allen (using the terms laid out here) has always had a high "ceiling" since he entered the league. He has incredible physical tools, a strong arm, and some athleticism. Despite this high "ceiling" that has existed for all of his career, he's largely sucked until very recently. 2020/2021 were steps in the right direction, highlighted by two masterclasses against NE the most recent two times they played (my gut says those were outliers to a certain extent, but that's neither here nor there). Allen's ceiling was completely irrelevant until he actually started playing well. Despite his "ceiling", he sucked, until he didn't ... and he did not stop sucking because he all of a sudden had this magical moment of achieving his "ceiling" -- he stopped sucking because he started making better decisions with the ball and executed some incredibly accurate throws. Specific to his games against NE, he was (in part) so phenomenal because (for the first time that I've seen) he demonstrated patience and was willing to consistently/regularly check the ball down over the middle and in the flats, exposing NE's poor ILBs, which then opened up stuff down the field (again, Allen also made some incredibly accurate throws in those games, but his patience in softening up the defense opened some of those up).

So, again, "ceiling" is irrelevant; it's a myth, a hypothetical potentiality based on incomplete information, and has no actual bearing on what transpires on the field. It's a meaningless idea. All that matters is how a given player performs/executes on the field over the totality of their playing career. Really, Brady should be the ultimate example that sitting here discussing a player's "ceiling" is really stupid and meaningless. How one can watch his career arc and simultaneously buy into the idea that QBs have a "ceiling" is beyond me. Never thought I could bring myself to root for KC, but here we are.

Last edited:
Watching these videos, can anyone identify the mystical, magical "ceiling" Brady demonstrated during these games from the 2001 season? Can anyone objectively, tangibly, specifically define what Brady shows in these games that Mac did not demonstrate during his own rookie season? Does anyone watch these videos and come to the conclusion that there is a gap between rookie Brady's "ceiling" and rookie Mac's "ceiling"? Anyone ... Bueller?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOyoinMUo1c

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujAn22wf3dw

Watching these videos, can anyone identify the mystical, magical "ceiling" Brady demonstrated during these games from the 2001 season? Can anyone objectively, tangibly, specifically define what Brady shows in these games that Mac did not demonstrate during his own rookie season? Does anyone watch these videos and come to the conclusion that there is a gap between rookie Brady's "ceiling" and rookie Mac's "ceiling"? Anyone ... Bueller?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOyoinMUo1c

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujAn22wf3dw

No. Not me. I see lots of similarities.

Joe Burrow is a shitton better than I thought he would be.
I agree. Burrow is awesome. I actually like his overall game better than Herbert.

I agree, easy to just ignore anymore. Pointless to respond to any of it
I suppose, but football fans forums are where fans of teams get together to discuss their team, the good and the bad. Trolls add nothing. Their intent is to stir things up, and human nature being what it is, ignoring a troll is not effective. Banishing them is the only effective way to shut them up. No one wants to get rid of fans of other teams. There is some good football discussion, and some teasing. But there is a difference between teasing and posting with the intent to cause a disruption. The only one enjoying this is the asshole who for whatever reason likes to cause rancor.

Ignoring a troll is like, "Hey, some guy is coming in here and shitting all over our house and harassing the membership, what shall we do?
"Let him. Just clean up the mess as best as you can and let him keep shitting until he decides to stop.

Or, you could give him a time out (assclown) like you would any unruly juvenile.

Okay I'll stop :deadhorse: . It's your job to build the forum into the way you want to see it, not mine. I just wanted to make one last entreaty.

Thank you for the job you're doing.

And thankfully Mac Jones is still our no 1 quarterback!
He's his own person and he will develop at his own pace, comparing him to another QB at this time is silly, simply because hes not anyone else he is Mac Jones.

~Dee~

buczone.com/forum/

I have sent her various Bucs forums links too. It is pointless as she isn't a Bucs fan nor is she a Patriots fan.

She is obsessed with Tom Brady and that is really all there is to it. One can only wonder what impact, beyond what we see here, this has had for her.

By the way....

Mac Jones is our QB1.

1642513683454.png

I have sent her various Bucs forums links too. It is pointless as she isn't a Bucs fan nor is she a Patriots fan.

She is obsessed with Tom Brady and that is really all there is to it. One can only wonder what impact, beyond what we see here, this has had for her.

By the way....

Mac Jones is our QB1.

View attachment 8974
he sticks his tongue out while passing. aren't we concerned about that??
#trollquestion
🤣

Well let's circle back to Mac Jones before the thread is derailed.
I just wanted to say that you and Muse are doing a great job as moderators. I appreciate your work as I know it can be a cumbersome and difficult job.

I think as a rookie that is all you can ask for. I imagine next year he will have to take more on, and I'm sure he will. That said, he will need more weapons if BB is planning to go more offense heavy in the coming years. Otherwise it'll be like young Brady where he was just asked to limit mistakes, take what the defense gives him, and take designated shots when called upon.
Brady led the NFL in TD passes in his second season as a starter. He had 5 game-winning drives in his third season. He made the pro bowl in his first and fourth seasons. By the end of his fourth season Brady also was 9-0 in the postseason with 3 Super Bowl championships and 2 Super Bowl MVP's. So Brady was asked to do much more than "limit mistakes" in the early part of his career. He was being asked to lead the team to championships.

Regarding Jones, overall I thought the approach (from the coaching staff) was too conservative. Too many check downs, essentially conceding on too many 3rd-and-longs, not going for it on fourth downs, etc. His season also went in the wrong direction after he was restricted to 3 pass attempts in the wind storm. They probably could have mixed in some short play action passing there to keep Jones more involved. I think it's possible that game shook his psyche a bit.

Joe Burrow isn't a god, but, he's pretty good. Just like Mac Jones is when he's on point.
Burrow had a decent rookie season where he had a few terrific games, no really bad ones, and overall displayed more upside than Jones. We saw some of that upside come to fruition this season with his new weapon Ja'Marr Chase. Although his numbers blew up with his final two stellar starts, Burrow made a significant jump in year two. I think there are some similarities between the skill sets of Burrow and Jones. Neither for example has above average arm strength. Hopefully the Patriots can get a receiver similar to Chase for Jones but it's hard to imagine he could make a similar jump from year one to year two like Burrow... if even for no other reason then Burrow's jump was so significant.

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert and Burrow should be putting up prolific numbers for the next decade. Seems probable one or two of them will be competing in the conference championship annually. It's going to be difficult for the Patriots and Jones to keep pace with that. Primarily the Patriots defense needs to get much faster and better. Allen alone is obviously posing a major obstacle for the Patriots... that one's on Belichick to figure out.

And thankfully Mac Jones is still our no 1 quarterback!

~Dee~
Generally, the biggest jump from rookie year to sophomore is consistency. Rookies show why they were drafted with flashes but there are always rookie mistakes. They're inevitable. I was one who was strongly in favor of letting Mac sit for his rookie year and pick up the game, but now I'm glad that they didn't. He outplayed all the other rookie QBs and now has a full year of studying tape on 14 different NFL defenses, and this offseason can put what he will learn into context with what he already learned.

Back