Mac Jones Is Our QB1

You're deluded if you think that. He is genuinely a shit Quarterback.
Well, he was running around like a nut out there I've seen a lot of quarterbacks, good quarterbacks, who ended up with nervous feet and ineffectiveness when the past rush is consistently and constantly brutal. There were two pick sixes today so the stats agree with you about his overall shittiness. Still, I'm not sure how much a fault he was for either of. those pick sixes. Being a Patriots fan from the beginning might have desensitized me, especially the years between the bears super bowl and the Packers super bowl when there was a lot of bad football played (I think they had the first pick in the draft three times in a span of 10 years between Sims and bledsoe and fryer), but I'm having a hard time getting into a doom and gloom mood this early in a season.

Bill confirmed that Mac will remain as starting QB . Alyouis made a good point in an earlier post about Mac , his mental state seems to be more of the issue .In my opinion , ability is not a question , he has shown he can play.This begs the question as to why he has'nt.My hunch is either that Mac has let something something crawl into his brain or let someone put it there.

As most of you know , a brain bug can be fatal to a QB ( athletes) and this could be the case if he doesn't extract his craniums from his differential.I also believe that his poor choices spring from " trying to make something happen ".
His whole career basically hangs on this season and he is playing to save his ass . He doesn't really have a " play it safe and lose option ".For Mac , this is " Go big or go home " territory and even INT's are not on the radar , it is do anything to win because that's the only way he remains in the league .He can't think " oh , I'll just go to another team " , no one will knock on the door if he doesn't perform this year . He is about 11 games away from a promising career at Walmart if he doesn't get a grip.
I think you're onto something here, and I think BB has more patience to bring Mac along than some of us here.

This is a hard time to be a Pats fan, not because the Pats are sucking, but because fans i respected and understanding the game are going off the rails. As you say Mac could be out as a Pats QB, though I doubt he'll be out of football. As you say, he's proven he could do it. He doesn't have to learn to read defenses, throw accurately, be patient (as patient as a QB cna be under a heavy rush). He has to get back to do what he's shown he could do.

That's mental, not physica, again as you say. If he proves not to be mentally tough, so be it. But it's WAY to early to give up on him IMO.

edit: if he is in a high pressure, must-prove-myself mode, then getting a pic because his arm was hit as he threw and a ball that bouncedoff the receiver's hands is not going to lower his anxiety and tightness.

Patriots rookie quarterback Mac Jones is PFF's second-highest graded QB. Cam Newton is the 6th (of 40 qualified QBs).
Last year we had 0 good QBs. Now we have 2. Thank you, BB!
Sorry chevss, you just had the unfortunate honor of starting this thread, which I agreed with and defended, repeatedly over the last three years.

This year, we have 0 good QBs. And if Mac Jones thinks the rest of the team is the problem, he's going to have a very short career.

Well, he was running around like a nut out there I've seen a lot of quarterbacks, good quarterbacks, who ended up with nervous feet and ineffectiveness when the past rush is consistently and constantly brutal. There were two pick sixes today so the stats agree with you about his overall shittiness. Still, I'm not sure how much a fault he was for either of. those pick sixes. Being a Patriots fan from the beginning might have desensitized me, especially the years between the bears super bowl and the Packers super bowl when there was a lot of bad football played (I think they had the first pick in the draft three times in a span of 10 years between Sims and bledsoe and fryer), but I'm having a hard time getting into a doom and gloom mood this early in a season.

I think you're onto something here, and I think BB has more patience to bring Mac along than some of us here.

This is a hard time to be a Pats fan, not because the Pats are sucking, but because fans i respected and understanding the game are going off the rails. As you say Mac could be out as a Pats QB, though I doubt he'll be out of football. As you say, he's proven he could do it. He doesn't have to learn to read defenses, throw accurately, be patient (as patient as a QB cna be under a heavy rush). He has to get back to do what he's shown he could do.

That's mental, not physica, again as you say. If he proves not to be mentally tough, so be it. But it's WAY to early to give up on him IMO.

edit: if he is in a high pressure, must-prove-myself mode, then getting a pic because his arm was hit as he threw and a ball that bouncedoff the receiver's hands is not going to lower his anxiety and tightness.
You say it’s way too early to give up on him. We’re into year 3 with him. We’ve seen enough of him surely to have a clear enough opinion on him? And for those going on about his rookie season, he didn’t have a good end to that season. And concerns back then were expressed about his lack of arm strength and fundamentals like his footwork. And he threw a lot of INTs in that season. In his 3rd game against the Saints, he threw 3 INTs.

We all were desperate to believe in him post-Brady, and we gave him all our support and we bigged him up when outside of NE, the feeling was quite meh about him.

When you have a QB like Jones who has no physical attributes, he's not big, he's not athletic or fast, and he doesn't have a cannon arm, he has to be top level in every other area. Namely, accuracy, intelligence, poise in the pocket, superb fundamentals like the mechanics of setting himself in the pocket, footwork and throwing action, and finally and maybe above all, he has to be mentally tougher than the other QBs.

A poster here last season, and I can't remember who it was, made a very good observation and gave examples of how Mac gets badly spooked in the rushing lanes. His eyes turn away from his targets and focus on the rushers coming through at him, and this causes INTs and other mistakes.

They benched Mac both this week and last. Did anyone see any noticeable improvement in the Offense after he was benched?

I knew Mac was NOT gonna be the guy as soon as the cigar pic with the man boobs came out.

Even Edelman thinks he's hasn't improved.
This is a quarterback league,” Edelman said during an appearance on The Ryen Rusillo Podcast. “You have to have a quarterback that fits your system to win games. Look at all the good teams. They all have good quarterbacks. And right now, Mac hasn’t been developing at the rate that they want. ...

“Billy O’Brien, I guarantee he’s looking at everything [Josh] McDaniels did, he’s looking at everything that Mac is comfortable with. And he’s still having rookie-type throws

So Coach is stilll sticking with his man despite all evidence to the contrary.
I have to wonder if this is an ego thing with BB. He's made his decision and refuses to back down. Think his unwavering support of his floundering QB will result in his own demise? I keep wondering where Kraft stands in all this as, after all, his decision is the determining vote.
:patpatriot32:

So Coach is stilll sticking with his man despite all evidence to the contrary.
I have to wonder if this is an ego thing with BB. He's made his decision and refuses to back down. Think his unwavering support of his floundering QB will result in his own demise? I keep wondering where Kraft stands in all this as, after all, his decision is the determining vote.
:patpatriot32:
What’s his other option right now? Zappe is horrible as well.

Even Edelman thinks he's hasn't improved.
This is a quarterback league,” Edelman said during an appearance on The Ryen Rusillo Podcast. “You have to have a quarterback that fits your system to win games. Look at all the good teams. They all have good quarterbacks. And right now, Mac hasn’t been developing at the rate that they want. ...

“Billy O’Brien, I guarantee he’s looking at everything [Josh] McDaniels did, he’s looking at everything that Mac is comfortable with. And he’s still having rookie-type throws

But as some here would say, people who say what Edelman did don't know what they are talking about. The evidence keeps piling it up they keep clinging to the Mac Jones is our QB1 forever idea.

Jules wouldn't have an idea of what a good QB is what a bad QB is would he?

They don't have much choice but to try to get Mac figured out. At least for this season. I like Zappe but he doesn't seem any better.

The problems with this team run deeper than one position. BB has a lot of work to do and honestly not seen any reason to believe it's going to happen. Many issues popped up before this season.

Cowerd had a good take on all this and if it's posted on youtube later I'll put it here

basically - Bill is an Historian. Andy Reid and Kyle Shannahan are revolutionaries. Bill is Ken Burns. those guys are Steve Jobs.
it's not mac jones fault he has no one around him. dinged bill for the 3 guards and 2 kickers draft. for overpaying for tight ends because they can't draft one. for resigning Devante Parker who can't get open. for overpaying for Ju Ju

pointed out Mac low ceiling but asked the question "how is he getting worse"

Yes by far the biggest issue with this team is personnel, which has been ongoing for years. It was even a problem when Tom was here, but the GOAT can mask ineptitude to some degree.

Mac isn't great but his OL has regularly sucked and so have his targets. Aside from injuries, those deficiencies have all been the result of decisions made by BB.

We have to stop blaming the receivers. Brady used to get by with midget white receivers who were as slow as Treacle and where one was a QB, and another was a Lacrosse player. Yes, Mac is not Brady, but Tom used to be able to get these guys in sync with him no matter who the OC was.

We have to stop this excuse-making for Mac Jones. The issues have many parts, but on offense, the current QB1 is the major factor. He's just not good enough for an NFL franchise QB.

Far to many post that are over reactions. Anyone who quotes Colin Cowherd should reexamine their sources. That clown is nothing but a knee jerk reactionist.
The issue is the fact that the team has been unable to put a quality O-line in front of Mac. As a result he is starting to develop so called happy feet. He has no time to set and scan the field to find a receiver. The receivers have no time to get open before Mac is being chased out or hit. Mac is trying to make something happen and far to often there just isn't anything there. I don't blame Mac or O'Brian or BB They have a difficult schedule and a boat load of injuries BB tried to address the O-line issues but when all but the center has been off the field a some point it get difficult to maintain any protection.

We have to stop blaming the receivers. Brady used to get by with midget white receivers who were as slow as Treacle and where one was a QB, and another was a Lacrosse player. Yes, Mac is not Brady, but Tom used to be able to get these guys in sync with him no matter who the OC was.

We have to stop this excuse-making for Mac Jones. The issues have many parts, but on offense, the current QB1 is the major factor. He's just not good enough for an NFL franchise QB.
Not true I can recall a few occasions that not even Brady was able to get much done with some receivers. The OB turned WR Julian Edelman was a gifted athlete. The Lacrosse player Chris Hogan had a good career away from Brady.

It is true.
Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true.
Chad Johnson was given a three year contract with the Patriots, but only spent one season with the team in 2011. He caught 15 passed out of 32 targets for 276 yards
Bethel Johnson Just a waste of time.
Michael Floyd had 42 yards and a touchdown in the regular season.
Aaron Dobson Never did much of anything
J.J. Stokes made just two appearances in the regular season, posting two catches for 38 yards
Phillip Dorsett struggled in his first season in New England where he had 194 receiving yards in 15 games
Tiquan Underwood He had just 30 receiving yards in 13 games.
That is just a few.
No Brady didn't work well with every one.

Back