Mac Jones Is Our QB1

It's a fair enough assessment from Lazar. I don't think even those with the most strong feelings against Mac would say he is solely to blame. It's very possible that Mac is both a poor NFL caliber QB AND that the team, Offensive coaching and players failed him. They are not mutually exclusive positions.

To me, Mac is a 'Goldlocks' QB. that is, he will require everything to be just right in order for him to succeed. he will need a stellar O Line, great RBs, great receivers and TEs and great offensive coaching and playcalling. He doesn't have the talent to work around those things.

And I don't think the Patriots under Bill will ever give that to him, Bill will just not focus on getting an all star offense around the QB, it's not how he builds his teams. So Mac is probably better off somewhere else. Like under a McVay or a Shanahan. It's possible he could get some success in teams like that. But everything would have to be just right.

Bill got away with a lot with Brady, no question. I think a running QB, a guy like a Hurts or a Jackson is the kind of QB he would prefer to help make up shortcomings in the offensive weapons in his teams.
For me, is Mac solely to blame for the offense's problems? No. However, I do think Mac is the biggest problem that needs to be fixed / replaced. Next for me would be an upgrade at receiver. Upgrading the o-line (and especially the depth) would be third.

Won't change his arm strength or decision making etc etc. The only way you win with Mac is to have a one or two year window where you make an Alabama offense. I mean, you trade/pay do whatever to get 3-4 All Pro Linemen, at least 1 or 2 All Pro Backs, 2+ elite All pro Receivers.

Never going to happen and thus he needs to go. It is hard to see where Mac can be a playoff winning QB due to the salary cap.
I'll disagree a little on the arm strength point. Brady did not have a strong arm early on, but he was able to improve on it quite a bit, by working hard in the off-season. Whether Mac will do that, is to be determined, (but at this point, I'm not optimistic that he'll do what it takes). It is possible though, is my (maybe weak) point.

Of course, Brady's decision making and poise under pressure, in his first year of starting, was far superior to anything we've seen with Mac, thus far, (and that made up for Brady's candy arm, back in 2001 - 2002).

Won't change his arm strength or decision making etc etc. The only way you win with Mac is to have a one or two year window where you make an Alabama offense. I mean, you trade/pay do whatever to get 3-4 All Pro Linemen, at least 1 or 2 All Pro Backs, 2+ elite All pro Receivers.

Never going to happen and thus he needs to go. It is hard to see where Mac can be a playoff winning QB due to the salary cap.

That's maybe a huge exaggeration.

According to this article, some are becoming fed up with Mac Jones’ frequent decision-making lapses, (never mind the physical limitations to his game).

According to this article, some are becoming fed up with Mac Jones’ frequent decision-making lapses, (never mind the physical limitations to his game).

Reading progressions correctly has been a point of emphasis for the coaches for quite a while in addition to footwork and pocket movement.
This isn't new since his issues began last year & accelerated this year when the OL was a battered turnstile after week 1.
From what I understand, they want him to take the sure-thing short throw if it's open over the longer throw that may come open later in the play.
Breer may be taking it a little further than that but, heck, why not, Mac is easy pickings right now and headlines grab eager readers.

Paul Perillo is saying that was Mac's worst game ever as a Patriot. As uninspiring and indecisive as he's ever been and the Deuce and Hardy agree. Deuce saying it's unacceptable what Mac did.

He has to be toast.

Now for sure at 2-8...no more wins. This needs to be an organizational decision. IR who you need to, release who you need to..etc etc. Thats what this is.

Now for sure at 2-8...no more wins. This needs to be an organizational decision. IR who you need to, release who you need to..etc etc. Thats what this is.
We'll have a great draft position and huge cap space. We can genuinely do a total reset.

Question is, will RKK let Bill oversee it?

We'll have a great draft position and huge cap space. We can genuinely do a total reset.

Question is, will RKK let Bill oversee it?

Yeah I dunno. I like him as a coach as hard as it seems to believe. You are right, and I saw this last year when the CAP numbers came out that this was a year, if it started bad, you could do a total reset.

Pop looks like a steal and will be a massive help to a QB that can get him the ball. Thats HUGE for the next guy. I pitch Zeke on the plan and try to keep him too.

Back