Maine Moose Hunt

MaineMimi

Reaction score
My 13 year old daughter had her name picked in the Maine Moose lottery this year. Bull Moose and the week was last week.

Monday morning, 5:55 AM - the official moose hunt was on. My husband and Father-in-Law had been out scouting for a few months..trying to find places where they tend to hang out (the moose not my husband and FIL).

Long story short, at 6:50 AM, bullwinkle was down and we now have a full freezer of moose meat :)

He was 874 lbs (dressed weight) and a rack span of 48 1/4 inches.

My daughter would never hurt a fly - but put a hunting rifle in her hands and she's Rambo!

The first picture is her with her prize..2nd one is them at the tagging station/weigh in station with the moose up in the air.

Congrats. Will that get you through the winter?

Congrats. Will that get you through the winter?

Oh sure..we still get chicken, pork, fish..but this will be our "beef" and should last us a long time. We already had moose burgers and moose steaks. It's a very lean meat which I like very much. We split it with my FIL and we ended up with about 250 lbs each of meat

Well I hope that you happy! Some little baby moose is probably saying "mommy when is daddy coming home" and cow moose say "well he just went out for a pack of smokes, he should be back soon".:LOL:

As a fellow Mainer, way south as you can probably tell from my accent, I've had moose walk through our neighborhood as if the owned the place.

How do you feel about the bear baiting "controversy"? I think it's OK to bait bear, as long as the hunters go Davy Crockett- just a knife in their teeth.

Congrats to her!! I lived in SO Maine for 10 years and I used to see Moose quite often. I have a hard time eating deer and moose lol

Well I hope that you happy! Some little baby moose is probably saying "mommy when is daddy coming home" and cow moose say "well he just went out for a pack of smokes, he should be back soon".:LOL:

As a fellow Mainer, way south as you can probably tell from my accent, I've had moose walk through our neighborhood as if the owned the place.

How do you feel about the bear baiting "controversy"? I think it's OK to bait bear, as long as the hunters go Davy Crockett- just a knife in their teeth.

You know, I don't have any opinion about the bear baiting...we don't eat bear so we don't hunt it. We only hunt what we eat unlike others who hunt for the "trophy"

We have so many moose it's not even funny..one came and drank from our pool this summer and almost collapsed the side of the pool. Another one scared my neighbor..she opened her garage door and there was a big bull just wanting to come in.

Congrats to her!!

My daughter would be jealous. She's lived in Montana for 5 years and took up hunting last fall. She hasn't had any luck yet.

Down went Bullwinkle! :spock:

Cheers, (congrats) BostonTim

That is awesome. Moose is a very good source of protein. High in iron, b vitamins, looow in fat and cholesterol. Tasty too, depending on what they've been feeding on.

Congrats to your daughter for the tag, and for learning about being a responsible out doors person.

Nuthin like a freezer full of meat to bring a smile to the face.

Alright I'll be the first to say it........Nice rack!!!! Congrats to you daughter from a family of hunters

~Dee~

Alright I'll be the first to say it........Nice rack!!!! Congrats to you daughter from a family of hunters

~Dee~
eeek

Yeah, Im sure more than just me thought of that, then considered the hunter involved, and passed on that one...

Just sayin.

Cool! Gratz to your daughter!

But I have one question: 874 pounds?! How the hell did she (and your hubby and FIL) get it out of the woods?!

It wasn't cut up at the weigh-in so that rules that out, and it's not like you can go off-roading with a forklift. In my late teens I dragged a hundred-something pound deer out of the woods and that was a major PITA. 874 pounds boggles the mind!

Back