Malcolm Butler wants new contract

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
According to Reiss. Butler has been talking to friends saying he wants a new deal before the start of the season. Problem is he has no leverage. He was undrafted so he is on the final year of his deal and then the Pats can tag him as a restricted FA in 2017. Still, I think the Pats get something with him done just not sure it is this off-season. Have to think they sign up Collins and Hightower first.

This isn't a good turn but it's been in the making for quite a while. He certainly deserves more than $600K/year but at the same time he and his agent have to understand the way the NFL works, at least most of the time. It takes time for an UDFA to work up to big money status. He's just entering his last year of a 3 year contract and next year he'll be a RFA. He's under the Pats control for this year and to some degree next year as a RFA. I'd like to see him and the Pats reach an agreement but if Butler insists on super star Pro Bowl money now this thing could blow up since I don't see BB doling out that kind of cash to him this year. Caserio and BB may tap dance a little for Butler but they can't let it get out of bounds with Hightower and Collins waiting their turns. We all know what happened when RSeymour, Milloy and Law got greedier than BB wanted.

Meanwhile...

Dont’a Hightower wants to “get better,” not talk contract

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...htower-wants-to-get-better-not-talk-contract/

Butler has not talked about his contract in the media. In fact Reiss is getting this from rumors that Butler has been talking to friends about it.
Looking at how Butler has played I would have to say he has far outplayed his contract. I also am of the opinion that The patriots will find a way to get Collins, Hightower and Butler all signed to some form of extension by the time the games mean something.

Butler has not talked about his contract in the media. In fact Reiss is getting this from rumors that Butler has been talking to friends about it.

My fear is this "friend" is a certain player Butler works out with each off-season in AZ with whose name rhymes with Feral Bevis.

Sorry to disagree, but Reiss doesn't put anything in writing unless there's some legitimacy to it, and he would know.
Looking at how Butler has played I would have to say he has far outplayed his contract. I also am of the opinion that The patriots will find a way to get Collins, Hightower and Butler all signed to some form of extension by the time the games mean something.

And Sheard.

Sorry to disagree, but Reiss doesn't put anything in writing unless there's some legitimacy to it, and he would know.

And Sheard.

I was not trying to indicate Reiss was not hearing it only that Butler is not the one saying it. In that respect I should have said it was just hearsay at the moment.

I'm sure he can get a new contract. It all depends on if he is demanding $6m or $16m.

I was not trying to indicate Reiss was not hearing it only that Butler is not the one saying it. In that respect I should have said it was just hearsay at the moment.

Good point. We "heard" about Gronk not being happy either and that was not the case. I do hope Butler does get signed though. It has been a loooong time since we had a legit corner that we actually drafted or in this case undrafted.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

I'm sure he can get a new contract. It all depends on if he is demanding $6m or $16m.

I would like to think if the Pats bumped him into the $3-5 mil range this year he would be happy and then a longer deal next off-season. It does not seem right to have him play at $600,000 for this season coming off a pro bowl season last year. But as always, in Bill we trust.

It sucks for Butler that he has to play for the league minimum, but 2015 was his first year as a starter. If he plays another good season in 2016, I'm all for extending him.

...It does not seem right to have him play at $600,000 for this season coming off a pro bowl season last year. But as always, in Bill we trust.

Part of the process that the Patriots and all other teams use to fill a 53 man roster is the cost controls that a rookie contract provides. As a matter a fact, that was one of the major points of the CBA.

If teams gave that tool away to every player that had outplayed his contract where is the benefit that the CBA provides?

BTW, in 2015 Butler earned an additional $319,282.65 in performance-based bonus pay above his team salary.

http://nesn.com/2016/03/malcolm-butler-leads-patriots-with-319k-performance-based-bonus-pay/

Part of the process that the Patriots and all other teams use to fill a 53 man roster is the cost controls that a rookie contract provides. As a matter a fact, that was one of the major points of the CBA.

If teams gave that tool away to every player that had outplayed his contract where is the benefit that the CBA provides?

BTW, in 2015 Butler earned an additional $319,282.65 in performance-based bonus pay above his team salary.

http://nesn.com/2016/03/malcolm-butler-leads-patriots-with-319k-performance-based-bonus-pay/

I think as with any player there are exceptions. The Pats did new contracts for both Gronk and AH after two seasons when it was clear they had outperformed their rookie contracts. They upped Mayo early as well.

The rookie salary scale was put in place to save teams for paying a player like Bradford all that money before he has proven to be worth it thereby hamstringing a team for years. It was never put in place to make a player who has clearly shown he has the goods to remain on that contract for all 4 years.

All that being said, Butler has had ONE great season which is why I can see the Pats maybe bumping a bit this year or perhaps putting more performance-based incentives in and then doing a longer contract next year when he has hopefully put in two solid seasons.

EDIT: One last thought. It would be to the Pats benefit to lock up Butler sooner rather than later as the CB market with the Revis and Norman deals is off the charts. The Pats got ahead of the curve with Gronk so not a bad idea to do the same with Butler. Just my two cents.

And Sheard.

Sheard has been everything we could hope for and I'd love to see him stick around for a while.

However, I think something has gotta give. My prediction in this case is that Trey Flowers will be the new kid in town and the Pats will reluctantly allow Sheard to walk to try and sign Butler, Collins and High.

I think Flowers is going to be just as good as Sheard and maybe better based on what I saw last preaseaon. Obviously, I want to see him take a step up this summer, but if he does we won't be able to keep him on the bench for very long.

Sheard has been everything we could hope for and I'd love to see him stick around for a while.

However, I think something has gotta give. My prediction in this case is that Trey Flowers will be the new kid in town and the Pats will reluctantly allow Sheard to walk to try and sign Butler, Collins and High.

I think Flowers is going to be just as good as Sheard and maybe better based on what I saw last preaseaon. Obviously, I want to see him take a step up this summer, but if he does we won't be able to keep him on the bench for very long.

Yes, Sheard has been great for the Pats and he'll be needed to take Chandler Jones' place this year. Frankly, I think it was Sheard's good play that allowed BB to part with CJones. I like the rotation of our front 7 quite a bit - it's certainly a lot stronger than last years' at least on paper.

LDE - Nink - Grissom - Kearse
DT - Branch - Knighton - Valentine
DT - MBrown - Vellano - Kuhn
RDE - Sheard - Chris Long - Flowers

That's some serious beef in the middle with a good mix of veteran experience it seems to me. Rotating will keep them fresh. I like it a lot.

Mike doesn't seem worried that Malcolm will hold out before the season. Acc to Mike's current understanding, Malcolm is only looking for an "adjustment" rather than a huge contract.

I can't blame him.

LDE - Nink - Grissom - Kearse
DT - Branch - Knighton - Valentine
DT - MBrown - Vellano - Kuhn
RDE - Sheard - Chris Long - Flowers

That's some serious beef in the middle with a good mix of veteran experience it seems to me. Rotating will keep them fresh. I like it a lot.

You believe they will keep 12?

Back