Malcolm Butler wants new contract

I'd like to see them work it sooner than later. Get ahead of it like Gronk. The kid will always have some issues with his size but he competes on every ball and is always on his defenders hip. Very tough playing cb nowadays in the NFL. Collins, Hightower and Sheard are all waiting.

I'm a big Flowers fan and think he will be a good player eventually. Tough kid with high motor. Played against some great competition in college. I'm hoping him and Sheard are our next duo.

Meanwhile I'm very happy with our dline. Maybe even a little more than last year. Mainly because all the beef in the middle. Our entire line specializes in stopping the run first. Teams will have a hell of time trying to get any push up front.

Butler has not talked about his contract in the media. In fact Reiss is getting this from rumors that Butler has been talking to friends about it.
Looking at how Butler has played I would have to say he has far outplayed his contract. I also am of the opinion that The patriots will find a way to get Collins, Hightower and Butler all signed to some form of extension by the time the games mean something.

I have no doubt that he wants a new contract, and I don't think that's much of a story. What would make it a story is if he was going to holdout until he gets a new deal. Until then, I give this a yawn.

:yawn:

It's Butler's time to play hardball. Will be interesting to see if Bill negotiates or puts him on the shit list.

Yes, Sheard has been great for the Pats and he'll be needed to take Chandler Jones' place this year. Frankly, I think it was Sheard's good play that allowed BB to part with CJones. I like the rotation of our front 7 quite a bit - it's certainly a lot stronger than last years' at least on paper.

LDE - Nink - Grissom - Kearse
DT - Branch - Knighton - Valentine
DT - MBrown - Vellano - Kuhn
RDE - Sheard - Chris Long - Flowers

That's some serious beef in the middle with a good mix of veteran experience it seems to me. Rotating will keep them fresh. I like it a lot.

You believe they will keep 12?

No but I like the options.

Yes, Sheard has been great for the Pats and he'll be needed to take Chandler Jones' place this year. Frankly, I think it was Sheard's good play that allowed BB to part with CJones. I like the rotation of our front 7 quite a bit - it's certainly a lot stronger than last years' at least on paper.

LDE - Nink - Grissom - Kearse
DT - Branch - Knighton - Valentine
DT - MBrown - Vellano - Kuhn
RDE - Sheard - Chris Long - Flowers

That's some serious beef in the middle with a good mix of veteran experience it seems to me. Rotating will keep them fresh. I like it a lot.

I agree that the front is a bit better, at least against the run with the additions of Long and Knighton being an improvement in that dept. over Chandler and Akiem Hicks.

We've also got three 2nd-year guys in Brown, Flowers and Grissom that should get more reps and the latter two took a fair amount of snaps at DT on 3rd down leading me to believe that may be something we'll see more of.

Of course, you've got too many guys on the list to keep them all and I don't expect Kearse, Vellano or Kuhn to stick on the 53. That is just my guess, of course. As always Bill tries to stock a position with competition and let them decide who sticks or doesn't.

If I was going to take a stab at the annual "popular veteran shocker cut" I might worry about Ninkovich. He is still a fine player fand a team leader with a knack for a timely big play but I noticed a number of times last season when he appeared like he (he's 32 now) might be losing a half step and couldn't get to the edge. I feel like a heretic for suggesting that, but we all know BB is not a sentimental guy.

Sheard has been everything we could hope for and I'd love to see him stick around for a while.

However, I think something has gotta give. My prediction in this case is that Trey Flowers will be the new kid in town and the Pats will reluctantly allow Sheard to walk to try and sign Butler, Collins and High.

I think Flowers is going to be just as good as Sheard and maybe better based on what I saw last preaseaon. Obviously, I want to see him take a step up this summer, but if he does we won't be able to keep him on the bench for very long.
Sheard is good, he was good in Cleveland so it is not a system good like Mark Anderson and Andre Carter with 10 sacks a piece in 2011.

To me Flowers could be the Anderson/Carter equal but will he be system good or will he be just a Good ball players no matter the system.

zero reason to sign Butler before Hightower and Collins. Get the other two done first and deal with Butler afterwards.

Jeff Howe of the Herald writes that Butler is expected to attend OTAs next week and that his absence was not contract related.

Jeff Howe of the Herald writes that Butler is expected to attend OTAs next week and that his absence was not contract related.

This is what I had expected. The media is always a little quick to jump on things they hear. Many times they are correct but often enough it is incorrect speculation.

zero reason to sign Butler before Hightower and Collins. Get the other two done first and deal with Butler afterwards.

Why?

Cornerbacks just not that important in the modern NFL?

If I was forced to name one of them first I'd name Collins, but there isn't a big gap between any of those guys.

Flip a coin and then find a way to sign all of them.

Because Malcolm is a restricted FA and the Pats, with him, have both time and leverage that they don't have with Collins and Hightower.

Cheers, BostonTin

In a profession like the NFL who doesn't want a new contract for more money?

Is this really news?

Hell who among us does not think they are worthy of more money?

Why?

Cornerbacks just not that important in the modern NFL?

If I was forced to name one of them first I'd name Collins, but there isn't a big gap between any of those guys.

Flip a coin and then find a way to sign all of them.

No, because Butler is a RFA. :huh:

No, because Butler is a RFA. :huh:

What tender do they give him. The pats do reserve the right. If they only give him a 7th round tender. A team could overpay for him. That how Miami made Denver overpay for CJ anderson

What tender do they give him. The pats do reserve the right. If they only give him a 7th round tender. A team could overpay for him. That how Miami made Denver overpay for CJ anderson

No chance they let Butler walk, but I don't see the urgency as I do with Collins/Hightower

Back