Mallett Sucks: The Extended Version

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
I suppose it could be summed up in just those two words "Mallett sucks" and I wouldn't get much of an argument, but for those of you that didn't get a chance to watch the game, I'll elaborate.

After years of development and speculation, what we learned last night is that we have is a guy that has almost zero hope of being a viable backup QB anywhere in the NFL.

There, I said it. I've been a supporter of his and have patiently waited for signs of life, but have now seen the light and last night was probably Ryan's swan song with the Pats even if his inevitable separation from the team may take a bit longer.

There were a few examples of the kind of thing that folks have observed about him that graphically illustrated why he's not going to make it. One nice replay showed the agonizingly long time he takes to get the ball out of his hand -- which effectively negates the velocity he is able to generate once it does. His delivery is one of the longest, slowest you will ever see.

He again showed very poor pocket sense and breaks down and runs (slowly) not to daylight but often right back into trouble. It was painful to watch him take off for a hook slide only to catch one of his long getaway sticks in the carpet and grimace in pain. This guy can't even slide adequately and he appeared embarassed and utterly devoid of poise. Mallett looked like he was in a waking nightmare and it showed.

His accuracy cannot reasonably be termed spotty as he missed low, high and wide including several to wide-open targets. During one bad overthrow to Boyce he gesticulated for everybody to see that it was Boyce's fault for running the wrong route and that may have been the case, but it appeared like a desperate attempt to deflect blame. Brady can get away with that stuff because he's earned the right. He hasn't.

After the first series, the hapless Christian Fauria commented that he liked the way that Mallett was "able to get the team in and out of the huddle", although it is hard to imagine a QB that could not pull that one off. Way to gild the lily, Christian.

I suppose we haven't seen the last of him quite yet and there is always a puncher's chance for redemption, but given the apparent limitations in his particular toolkit I wouldn't expect there will be any Disney movies forthcoming and inspired by his path to glory.

Can one screwed-up preseason game really tell you anything? Last night's sure did.

How can you say that after he had POP according to Mayock!! He was supposed to be a starting QB in this league!!!

I am shocked you did not see how well he got in and out of the huddle!!

Yeah he blew last night, he was trying to place a pass instead of trying to complete it. He has no touch so just let him sling it and force the WR/TE/RB's to catch the hot potato as it flies into their space.

I remember a certain Matt Cassell vs. Matt Guttierez debate in the preseason of 2008 where most everyone who watched the pre-season was, beyond a shadow of doubt, certain that Cassell, who looked goddawful, was going to be released, and that Gutz was the best man to back up Brady. I think we all know how that turned out. I think we should all take a deep breath and remember: it's just the preseason, it's beyond meaningless.

How can you say that after he had POP according to Mayock!! He was supposed to be a starting QB in this league!!!

I am shocked you did not see how well he got in and out of the huddle!!

Yeah he blew last night, he was trying to place a pass instead of trying to complete it. He has no touch so just let him sling it and force the WR/TE/RB's to catch the hot potato as it flies into their space.

I was thinking last night about Mayock's comment and have come to this conclusion. He meant Jimmy Garoppolo has the pop to be a starter down the road :Fart:

So you're thinking you'll only be able to get one first round pick out of him instead of two or three?

Oh, you are a saucy one. :jedi-smiley:

Nobody said "first rounders". Most of us were only hoping for a couple of seconds.

Which is just about how much time he has left in the league after last night. He made Curtis Painter look good.

Oh, you are a saucy one. :jedi-smiley:

Nobody said "first rounders". Most of us were only hoping for a couple of seconds.

Which is just about how much time he has left in the league after last night. He made Curtis Painter look good.

Ehhh a few of you said first rounders. Not recently though lol.

I think my exact words were "I'm not seeing it."

On a side note, Curtis Painter: still in the league. I know, I was as shocked as some of you are. He's at least as terrible as Mallet was, although I guess I didn't watch him last night.

Was too busy watching Matt Hasselbeck abuse the best defense in the history of defense.

I suppose it could be summed up in just those two words "Mallett sucks" and I wouldn't get much of an argument, but for those of you that didn't get a chance to watch the game, I'll elaborate.

After years of development and speculation, what we learned last night is that we have is a guy that has almost zero hope of being a viable backup QB anywhere in the NFL.

There, I said it. I've been a supporter of his and have patiently waited for signs of life, but have now seen the light and last night was probably Ryan's swan song with the Pats even if his inevitable separation from the team may take a bit longer.

There were a few examples of the kind of thing that folks have observed about him that graphically illustrated why he's not going to make it. One nice replay showed the agonizingly long time he takes to get the ball out of his hand -- which effectively negates the velocity he is able to generate once it does. His delivery is one of the longest, slowest you will ever see.

He again showed very poor pocket sense and breaks down and runs (slowly) not to daylight but often right back into trouble. It was painful to watch him take off for a hook slide only to catch one of his long getaway sticks in the carpet and grimace in pain. This guy can't even slide adequately and he appeared embarassed and utterly devoid of poise. Mallett looked like he was in a waking nightmare and it showed.

His accuracy cannot reasonably be termed spotty as he missed low, high and wide including several to wide-open targets. During one bad overthrow to Boyce he gesticulated for everybody to see that it was Boyce's fault for running the wrong route and that may have been the case, but it appeared like a desperate attempt to deflect blame. Brady can get away with that stuff because he's earned the right. He hasn't.

After the first series, the hapless Christian Fauria commented that he liked the way that Mallett was "able to get the team in and out of the huddle", although it is hard to imagine a QB that could not pull that one off. Way to gild the lily, Christian.

I suppose we haven't seen the last of him quite yet and there is always a puncher's chance for redemption, but given the apparent limitations in his particular toolkit I wouldn't expect there will be any Disney movies forthcoming and inspired by his path to glory.

Can one screwed-up preseason game really tell you anything? Last night's sure did.

Mallett sucks. He sucked last year in preseason, he sucked the year before in preseason, and he sucks now. He hasn't corrected any of the issues that were there from day one - the laser bullets aimed so low that a midget (and I mean that with no bias to little people) couldn't reach down and catch it, he makes shitty decisions, he's inconsistent, he doesn't make his reads and keys in on one player, the 5-step back is more like 10 steps back and 5 steps forward/sideways, he's slower than shit, and he's ugly. So that about sums it up.

I say this with great reluctance since my battle cry about Cassel was "Cassel sucks", and I was happily proven wrong. Cassel was smart. Mallett is dumb as a snail, also as slow as one.

JG showed more poise, technique, skill in his first appearance in an actual football stadium than Mallett has in his entire career here. He's a bum.

Let's just hope that the old man who usually starts these games when they matter can stay healthy or we are in for a long season.

JG showed more poise, technique, skill in his first appearance in an actual football stadium than Mallett has in his entire career here. He's a bum.

I can't say you're wrong. Jimmy had quite a night for himself and I'm sure the Noble Savages' scrubs were better than the guys he played against in college, so it was certainly a step up.

At the risk of sounding like a crusty old bastard I would've liked Jimmy to tone it down on the sidelines a bit. He was pleased with his performance, no doubt, and should have been, but he acted a little bit......cocky? maybe?

Anyone else have that thought?

It ain't always going to be that good, Jimmy, but nice job. He gave the team a lift on a completely effed-up night.

At the risk of sounding like a crusty old bastard I would've liked Jimmy to tone it down on the sidelines a bit. He was pleased with his performance, no doubt, and should have been, but he acted a little bit......cocky? maybe?

Anyone else have that thought?

It ain't always going to be that good, Jimmy, but nice job. He gave the team a lift on a completely effed-up night.

No, I didn't see that. He definitely had a big smile on his face, but can you imagine being a rookie QB having never set foot inside a pro stadium before, driving the ball down and getting a TD? I think he looked like a little kid in an ice cream shop. It just looked like sheer joy to me.

No, I didn't see that. He definitely had a big smile on his face, but can you imagine being a rookie QB having never set foot inside a pro stadium before, driving the ball down and getting a TD? I think he looked like a little kid in an ice cream shop. It just looked like sheer joy to me.

I agree.

When he was interviewed live on camera after the Senior Bowl, at first I thought he looked a little smug until he started talking. Then he sounded genuinely humble, but happy. I think he may just have one of those faces on which "happy" just kinda looks like "pleased with himself."

So basically, you're saying he's like Bledsoe, but without Drew's mobility and decision making.

popcorn

Back