Marcus Cannon - contract extended for 5 years

I think he should just keep winning until Roger retires. For ****z and giggles. :coffee:

If Brady and Belichick win another ring, this might be Roger at the ceremony:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MTc3zcnIZOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He would get offered way way more than that.
I know. It was in response to your $2 mil offer comment. I thought you were serious and just wanted to point out that $2 mil would be a pay cut from the previous year.

Nothing need be done this year as the Pats control him (as an RFA) next year. The situation will become clear next year. I can see them trading him if it appears Brady is going to play a few years beyond 2017, and I can see paying him a competitive contract if it only overlaps Brady by one year, also factoring in how Brissett looks his sophomore year..

I disagree that BB will cheap out on JG, though, if he considers him the heir apparent. It should be rather obvious to everyone these days that the single best indicator of whether a team does well or not is the quality at QB.

I know. It was in response to your $2 mil offer comment. I thought you were serious and just wanted to point out that $2 mil would be a pay cut from the previous year.

Nothing need be done this year as the Pats control him (as an RFA) next year. The situation will become clear next year. I can see them trading him if it appears Brady is going to play a few years beyond 2017, and I can see paying him a competitive contract if it only overlaps Brady by one year, also factoring in how Brissett looks his sophomore year..

I disagree that BB will cheap out on JG, though, if he considers him the heir apparent. It should be rather obvious to everyone these days that the single best indicator of whether a team does well or not is the quality at QB.

This whole situation is fascinating. It could play out in so many ways IMO. I think a trade is likely only because so many teams need a franchise guy and will give up a lot to get him. The issue I see with paying Garop big money to stay is you have both and him Brady on the books at high salaries. Brady isn't exactly making chump change the next two years. I just can't see Bill paying both guys. I do agree he will offer Garop a big contract if he views him as the heir apparent but the wild card is how long Brady will play at this insane level. I mean he is the best QB in the league right now at age 39, missing the first four games and with a pretty average D on top. They have him signed until he is 42 which is way too long to keep Jimmy around.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Jacoby is going to be the heir apparent to Brady and Jimmy will be traded. It just makes the most sense given the money and Jimmy's contract situation. I just don't see Bill making the kid wait 2-3 years to be a starter and also paying him starter money to ride the bench. JMO.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Jacoby is going to be the heir apparent to Brady and Jimmy will be traded. It just makes the most sense given the money and Jimmy's contract situation. I just don't see Bill making the kid wait 2-3 years to be a starter and also paying him starter money to ride the bench. JMO.

Garop's sample is slightly larger than Jacoby's; he looked good but he also took sacks and had a lower completion percentage. I'd like to see the kid at least throw a touchdown pass before I anoint him as Brady's successor.

Besides, if Garop's an RFA, the Pats don't have to worry about anything for a year. Let's see how things play out with Brady's age, injuries, the playoffs, and his level of play. Lots of variables. Like I said, if the Pats win another Super Bowl and Brady has some aches and pains, he may decide his legacy is good enough.

Garop's sample is slightly larger than Jacoby's; he looked good but he also took sacks and had a lower completion percentage. I'd like to see the kid at least throw a touchdown pass before I anoint him as Brady's successor.

Besides, if Garop's an RFA, the Pats don't have to worry about anything for a year. Let's see how things play out with Brady's age, injuries, the playoffs, and his level of play. Lots of variables. Like I said, if the Pats win another Super Bowl and Brady has some aches and pains, he may decide his legacy is good enough.

For sure Jacoby is still a bit of an unknown. But he looked really good for a rookie especially when compared to Jimmy who was awful his rookie season as the Pats had to train him in a pro style offense. It would not surprise me to see the Pats draft another QB high this off-season if they trade Jimmy.

I think for Brady even if he wins a 5th he is coming back. He wants to play for several more years. He just loves to compete that much. But as you say, have to see how he continues to play the rest of this year and into next year. I am torn about losing Jimmy but also excited about the picks we could get for him too. Honestly, this is a great problem to have in many ways.

He was 42 of 60 for 70%, 4 TDs 0 picks. QB rating 117. He had 3 sacks and a fumble lost. No picks.

Did you boycott the Brady suspension games?

He was 42 of 60 for 70%, 4 TDs 0 picks. QB rating 117. He had 3 sacks and a fumble lost. No picks.

Did you boycott the Brady suspension games?
are those Jacoby's stats? holy poop that is impressive.

I think JD was saying we needed more of a sample of Brissett but I could be wrong.

Code:
Games Played 3 · Games Started 2 

Passing stats 

COMP ATT COMP% YDS YDS-A TD LNG INT 
34 55 61.8 400 7.2 0 58 0 

Rushing stats 

ATT-Ru YDS-Ru AVG-Ru lnG-Ru TD-Ru FD-Ru FUM-Ru LST-Ru 

16    83    5.19    27     1     5         2       1

are those Jacoby's stats? holy poop that is impressive.

I think JD was saying we needed more of a sample of Brissett but I could be wrong.

Code:
Games Played 3 · Games Started 2 

Passing stats 

COMP ATT COMP% YDS YDS-A TD LNG INT 
34 55 61.8 400 7.2 0 58 0 

Rushing stats 

ATT-Ru YDS-Ru AVG-Ru lnG-Ru TD-Ru FD-Ru FUM-Ru LST-Ru 

16    83    5.19    27     1     5         2       1

No, that's JGs stat line.

Brace yourself peeps. This is BB. He's no dummy. JG is going nowhere.

No, that's JGs stat line.

Brace yourself peeps. This is BB. He's no dummy. JG is going nowhere.

Agreed. He's going to be with the Patriots through their next championship reign right along with Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones, the cornerstones of our future defense...

Agreed. He's going to be with the Patriots through their next championship reign right along with Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones, the cornerstones of our future defense...

LOL. great post.

He threw five: one against the Chiefs, one against the Cards, and three against the Fins.

Besides, if Garop's an RFA, the Pats don't have to worry about anything for a year. Let's see how things play out with Brady's age, injuries, the playoffs, and his level of play. Lots of variables.
Agree 100%

Originally Posted by JD10367 View Post
Besides, if Garop's an RFA, the Pats don't have to worry about anything for a year. Let's see how things play out with Brady's age, injuries, the playoffs, and his level of play. Lots of variables.

The issue with waiting is next off-season the Pats will have to franchise Jimmy which means the tender gets set at two 1s. Right now because he is under contract, Bill can just listen to offers with no tender and take the best one. In other words, he can ask for the moon and get it. He will not be able to do that a year from now. If he wants to trade Jimmy then this is the off-season to do it while his stock is high and no tender. If he does not then I believe Jimmy will be with us for the long haul and eventually be the heir apparent to Brady.

BTW, for what's it worth, there have been reports that Jimmy and his camp believes he will be traded in the off-season.

LOL. great post.

Yeah, because BB just said the transition is seamless now from Garop to TB in game prep. What higher compliment can BB give?

But go and compare him to a freelance locker malcontent and a guy whacked out on bath salts half naked in January at the police station.

Truly, great post.

Yeah, because BB just said the transition is seamless now from Garop to TB in game prep. What higher compliment can BB give?

But go and compare him to a freelance locker malcontent and a guy whacked out on bath salts half naked in January at the police station.

Truly, great post.

I think you missed the point. Whenever it is that we think we have Bill figured out and are "sure" what he will do, he usually surprises without fail.

Truly, great post.

Don't get all bent out of shape. Lol. You're right, Belichick is a smart dude. My point is that none of us have a clue what he's thinking and will do. All I'm saying is if he were to trade Garoppolo it wouldn't exactly be the most shocking thing he has done. He says lots of things in press conferences. He could just as easily be boosting Garoppolo's stock for the teams that would be chomping at the bit to trade away multiple picks to get him.

The issue with waiting is next off-season the Pats will have to franchise Jimmy which means the tender gets set at two 1s. Right now because he is under contract, Bill can just listen to offers with no tender and take the best one. In other words, he can ask for the moon and get it. He will not be able to do that a year from now. If he wants to trade Jimmy then this is the off-season to do it while his stock is high and no tender. If he does not then I believe Jimmy will be with us for the long haul and eventually be the heir apparent to Brady.

BTW, for what's it worth, there have been reports that Jimmy and his camp believes he will be traded in the off-season.
(on red bolded sentence) I don't think it matters this off season or next. Any team who trades for JG will require a new agreement in place, or they risk giving up a first round pick or more) for one year of service. So no matter when JG is traded (if that is what happens) no team will get his tender year salary. It's going to be a whole new deal no matter when he's traded. Actually, JG will insist on that also. Why would he sign a deal that doesn't involve a major signing bonus?

The big determiner, IMO, is something you said in an earlier post: it all depends on whether the Pats see JG or JB as the heir apparent. BB likely has an idea based on practices (which might be one reason for taking Brissett off IR). The coach knows. Fans and media?

(on red bolded sentence) I don't think it matters this off season or next. Any team who trades for JG will require a new agreement in place, or they risk giving up a first round pick or more) for one year of service. So no matter when JG is traded (if that is what happens) no team will get his tender year salary. It's going to be a whole new deal no matter when he's traded. Actually, JG will insist on that also. Why would he sign a deal that doesn't involve a major signing bonus?

The big determiner, IMO, is something you said in an earlier post: it all depends on whether the Pats see JG or JB as the heir apparent. BB likely has an idea based on practices (which might be one reason for taking Brissett off IR). The coach knows. Fans and media?

Actually it is more beneficial for a team to trade for Jimmy now because the acquiring team can get the final year of his rookie contract and then control over whether or not they franchise him/extend him. This offers the most value to them which is probably why reports of the Saints and Browns being interested have surfaced. Otherwise a team is in the same position Houston was with Oz and have to put all the chips in the middle. But I was talking about trade value not his contract. Right now there is no tender for him in terms of picks because he is still under contract. After next year we have to franchise him which means his tender gets set at two 1s. Bill could potentially get more than that this off-season or trade him during TC when a QB goes down like what happened with Bridgewater forcing the Vikes to give a ransom for lousy Bradford.

Bill taking Brissett off of IR is an eye opener to me. Why would you do that and take away the roster spot with Brady and Jimmy ahead of him? I have always felt the drafting of Brissett which was before Brady got suspended was a referendum on Jimmy not being the guy. That being said, Jimmy looked really good for the 5 quarters he played, so who knows. :shrug_n:

Poor Marcus Cannon, this thread was supposed to be about him. :doh:

Don't get all bent out of shape. Lol. You're right, Belichick is a smart dude. My point is that none of us have a clue what he's thinking and will do. All I'm saying is if he were to trade Garoppolo it wouldn't exactly be the most shocking thing he has done. He says lots of things in press conferences. He could just as easily be boosting Garoppolo's stock for the teams that would be chomping at the bit to trade away multiple picks to get him.

Not bent. You are correct. It could be to pump value.

I did feel the comparison was poor though. The two you cited we sent packing for reasons. Bad ones.

Back