Marcus Cannon - contract extended for 5 years

Is Scar really this damn good? I mean, he took a turnstile most fans wanted run out of town ASAP and turned him into a big-paycheck guy. Amazing.

It's either that or maybe he was battling an injury all of last season. I seem to remember him having a foot or ankle problem if I'm not mistaken.

Is Scar really this damn good? I mean, he took a turnstile most fans wanted run out of town ASAP and turned him into a big-paycheck guy. Amazing.

Cannon was decent went Scar was here the 1st time, took a nose dive for the next 2 seasons and is now back to playing good. It's circumstantial, but real. It also helps that the OLine has had relative continuity for most of the season, especially compare to last year.

Scar is very good but the prior guy (I refuse to write his name) used different blocking schemes and taught different blocking techniques which didn't work at all. As Alk said, Cannon was injured for a lot of 2015.

Butler, Hightower, Ryan, Sheard, Garoppolo...

Extend Cannon?

This is like when they gave Ninkovich an extra $2 million for no reason.

If JG takes an extension on this team, his agent should be fired, he could walk off the pats in free agency and get huge money, not some chump change of the pats throwing him a couple million until brady decides to retire.

If JG takes an extension on this team, his agent should be fired, he could walk off the pats in free agency and get huge money, not some chump change of the pats throwing him a couple million until brady decides to retire.

It would be for a lot more than a couple million.

Or he could play it smart like McDaniels and Patricia and stay with a great organization, owner, and HC, learn from the GOAT in Brady, and collect an awesome paycheck for doing a lot of clipboard holding, knowing he'll eventually be QBing a solid team in a great environment. As opposed to doing what you said and taking a few mill more to lose games in Cleveland and get the shit best out of him by opposing teams, the media, and the fans.

I certainly hope that the Pats have a young coach to shadow Scar and become the heir apparent. No more bringing in someone from the outside.

Butler, Hightower, Ryan, Sheard, Garoppolo...

Extend Cannon?

This is like when they gave Ninkovich an extra $2 million for no reason.

Great point(s). I would think also that the few standouts on defense would be the priority, esp. Butler and Hightower.. Ryan? Meh. Garoppolo? trade bait. Sheard? Would like to see him get more similar numbers to last year before spending too much.. No FF's 3 sacks.. What kind of payday should that warrant?

His RFA tender next year alone will be $3.5 mil.

Cannon has played very well this year plus 335 lb quick footed right tackles are pretty rare, especially when they are versatile enough to play either G or T position in a pinch. BB reiterated today he's very happy to have Cannon extended.

I am not sure I am ready to predict this, but let's say I wouldn't be shocked if JG signs an extension for mid-level starter money and BB and TB have a meeting about 2017 being his last season with the team. Eventually Brady is going to start slipping and we've been hearing for 16 years "better a season too soon than a season too late".

Cannon is a much better player in 2016 than in years past

Cannon’s worst two seasons came under offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo and that’s not a coincidence. When offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia, who coached Cannon from 2011-13, returned to the team, he had some criticisms about Cannon’s technique.

“He hasn’t used his length,” Scarnecchia said earlier this season. “His arms are really long, but he doesn’t use them like a guy that has long arms needs to use them. The more you keep the defenders out and away from you, instead of letting them get into your body and grab things, the better off you’re going to be at tackle. He seems to grasp that very well and embrace it. If he will continue to play that way, he’ll be fine. And he has been fine.”
DeGuglielmo did not teach good technique to the players and it showed. The second Scarnecchia returned to the team, Cannon was playing better than ever before:

So long as Scarnecchia is coaching Cannon- and the Patriots are grooming Cole Popovich to eventually take over as an in-house replacement for Scarnecchia with the same techniques- the Patriots should have a solid, if not great right tackle.

Offensive tackle free agency and draft classes are very weak

If the Patriots did not sign Cannon to an extension, he would be a desired candidate on the open market because there is no one else of note that will be available over the offseason.
Ravens RT Ricky Wagner seems to be recapturing his old form after an ugly 2015 campaign, but the 28-year-old Cannon might arguably have been the #1 tackle in free agency with the desired blend of age and ability- and if it’s a coin toss between Wagner and Cannon, it makes much more sense to retain the incumbent.
As for the draft, there are just three top tier offensive tackle prospects. Alabama OT Cam Robinson is expected to go in the top 10, or at least the top half of the first round, although he hasn’t played up to expectations. Wisconsin OT Ryan Ramczyk has played just one season of FBS football after transferring from a Division III program. Florida State OT Roderick Johnson looks the part, like Robinson, but hasn’t played up to expectations and is very inconsistent.
The Patriots would much rather move forward with a player they know than hope that one of the rookies will be ready to start on day 1.
Patriots will have offensive line stability for first time in a long time

The Patriots rotated players at every position on the offensive line during 2014-15 with the hope that someone would step up and win a starting job. Instead of finding the best five players, it left the entire unit without any consistency or support. Scarnecchia buried that idea the day he walked through the door.
“They had so many guys playing multiple positions [last year], and we believe in continuity and trying to keep the same guys next to each other as much as we can," Scarnecchia said over the summer. "You can’t always do that, [but] I think that was a huge deal last year and hopefully we won’t get into that situation this year. Keep working with the same guys day in and day out, and hopefully they will improve."
Cannon is now penciled in as the Patriots starting right tackle through the year 2021. Left guard Joe Thuney is signed through 2019. Right guard Shaq Mason is signed through 2018. Left tackle Nate Solder is signed through 2017, while center David Andrews will be a restricted free agent after 2017.
We’ve seen the Patriots offensive line slowly improve every single week this year and they will continue to improve as they develop a rapport with their linemates. Andrews and Mason have continued to build their skill sets, with Andrews improving against bigger nose tackles and Mason faring better in pass protection. Thuney has exceeded all expectations as a rookie.
Look for the Patriots to try and extend Solder at some point in the coming months, too, as New England would love to run out the same offensive line for the next few years. Solder and Cannon will be 29 years old next season, which means that this same unit could protect quarterback Tom Brady for the next three or four seasons. http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/11/3...llion-solder-thuney-andrews-mason-scarnecchia

Just saw Cannon in a locker interview.

Might be the most polite, gentlemanly, respectful player I've ever heard, and I've heard a metric shitload.

I am not sure I am ready to predict this, but let's say I wouldn't be shocked if JG signs an extension for mid-level starter money and BB and TB have a meeting about 2017 being his last season with the team. Eventually Brady is going to start slipping and we've been hearing for 16 years "better a season too soon than a season too late".

What happens this year will have a big impact. Dude just joined the 60k club and is about to become the winningest QB ever. If the Pats win a SB this year, it might encourage him to give it up. When he feels good he loves to say he feels better than he did 10 years ago but, when you're injured, it puts a different perspective on things. If he gets another ring, those bumps and bruises might start to weigh on him. Honestly, with ring #5, what more would he have left to prove?

What happens this year will have a big impact. Dude just joined the 60k club and is about to become the winningest QB ever. If the Pats win a SB this year, it might encourage him to give it up. When he feels good he loves to say he feels better than he did 10 years ago but, when you're injured, it puts a different perspective on things. If he gets another ring, those bumps and bruises might start to weigh on him. Honestly, with ring #5, what more would he have left to prove?

I think he should just keep winning until Roger retires. For ****z and giggles. :coffee:

Back