Mark Cuban Not Happy About Facing Cowboys

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
While I don't always agree with him, I've always admired Cuban for speaking his mind:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4768827&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is firing criticism at a league office again, but this time he has the NFL in his crosshairs.

Cuban is upset that the NFL scheduled the Dallas Cowboys' home playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles for Saturday night, which conflicts with the Mavericks' home game against the Utah Jazz.

"I know we're just little pissants compared to the NFL, but seriously, the NFL is turning into the ugly American when it comes to sports leagues," Cuban said. "They don't give a crap about anybody but themselves."

Cuban continued his rant via Twitter on Wednesday, pointing out a second NFL game going head-to-head with an NBA game in Boston.

Tweeted Cuban: "NFL couldnt schedule the Pats for late game on Sun rather than opposite Celtics @1pm?"

The Boston Celtics host the Toronto Raptors at 1 p.m. ET, while the New England Patriots open the playoffs at home against the Baltimore Ravens at the same time.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello has declined to respond to Cuban's comments.

The Mavericks' sellout streak of 334 consecutive games is not in jeopardy Saturday night because all the tickets have already been sold, Cuban said. However, he anticipates a high number of no-shows.

Cuban had nothing but praise for Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, his partner in bringing the NBA All-Star Game to Cowboys Stadium in February. However, Cuban lashed out at the NFL, which he said could lose the political support of other professional sports leagues if it continues to be inconsiderate with its scheduling.

"There's a balance between all the leagues," Cuban said. "They deal with similar issues. They deal with issues with copyright, antitrust, [Federal Communications Commission], all kinds of things. And it's going to bite them in the ass one day."

Cuban concluded with a jab at the NFL.

"Maybe the other leagues, when it comes to supporting them, will pull a Jim Irsay and disappear in the middle of the night," Cuban said, referring to the Colts' move from Baltimore to Indianapolis that was actually orchestrated by Jim Irsay's father Bob in 1984.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wondering what other PPers thoughts are on this? Cuban is talking about the concept of co-opetition, and how competing industries can actually work together to grab larger market shares.

So he has cowboy envy?

Oh, boo hoo. It conflicts with one of the 176827561725675267 annual NBA home games.

While I don't always agree with him, I've always admired Cuban for speaking his mind:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4768827&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is firing criticism at a league office again, but this time he has the NFL in his crosshairs.

Cuban is upset that the NFL scheduled the Dallas Cowboys' home playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles for Saturday night, which conflicts with the Mavericks' home game against the Utah Jazz.

"I know we're just little pissants compared to the NFL, but seriously, the NFL is turning into the ugly American when it comes to sports leagues," Cuban said. "They don't give a crap about anybody but themselves."

Cuban continued his rant via Twitter on Wednesday, pointing out a second NFL game going head-to-head with an NBA game in Boston.

Tweeted Cuban: "NFL couldnt schedule the Pats for late game on Sun rather than opposite Celtics @1pm?"

The Boston Celtics host the Toronto Raptors at 1 p.m. ET, while the New England Patriots open the playoffs at home against the Baltimore Ravens at the same time.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello has declined to respond to Cuban's comments.

The Mavericks' sellout streak of 334 consecutive games is not in jeopardy Saturday night because all the tickets have already been sold, Cuban said. However, he anticipates a high number of no-shows.

Cuban had nothing but praise for Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, his partner in bringing the NBA All-Star Game to Cowboys Stadium in February. However, Cuban lashed out at the NFL, which he said could lose the political support of other professional sports leagues if it continues to be inconsiderate with its scheduling.

"There's a balance between all the leagues," Cuban said. "They deal with similar issues. They deal with issues with copyright, antitrust, [Federal Communications Commission], all kinds of things. And it's going to bite them in the ass one day."

Cuban concluded with a jab at the NFL.

"Maybe the other leagues, when it comes to supporting them, will pull a Jim Irsay and disappear in the middle of the night," Cuban said, referring to the Colts' move from Baltimore to Indianapolis that was actually orchestrated by Jim Irsay's father Bob in 1984.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wondering what other PPers thoughts are on this? Cuban is talking about the concept of co-opetition, and how competing industries can actually work together to grab larger market shares.

I agree with Mark, the NFL needs to be more considerate at times with other sporting events that have big games going on at the same time. About 8 months ago Mark and I chatted via e-mail about programming he has on his HDNET channel. He didn’t have to get back to me on his own, but he did and without an employee doing it for him. Mark’s a good guy in my book:thumb:

Instead of co-operating with the NBA I feel that the NFL should instead bury it

I see where he's coming from, but I don't really know if there is any obligation on the part of the NFL. It'd be nice for fans of multiple sports if scheduling like this didn't happen, but I don't think Boston sports fans will cry about missing the Celtics game in order to see the Pats in the playoffs.

Who watches the NBA anyway:shrug:

There are other sports? Maybe they shouldn't play during football season.

so much for him buying a team in the nfl

I think the NFL told him years ago, he had about as much of a chance owning an NFL franchise as I do in getting laid by Nancy McKeon drool
Remember her? drool

Maybe he should borrow Gilbert Arenas' gun and go talk to Goodell in person.

<<
I agree with Mark, the NFL needs to be more considerate at times with other sporting events that have big games going on at the same time.
>>

The NFL does work with MLB during the World Series for instance, there is always one with with no Sunday night game IIRC.

But this is one of 80 regular season NBA games, and I can't see the NFL giving a shit about disrupting that.

I like HD Net too, and can't wait till I can dump Cox and get back on a provider that has it. Hopefully FIOS does because that's my next stop as soon as its been put into my town.

One thing I REALLY loved about HD Net was the way they cover NHL games. The cam positions are great giving beautiful shots, great image quality, the score / clock / logos on the screen are tiny and in the upper corner where they don't block anything much of the image, and best of all virtually every game the announces had "sounds of the game" periods where they wouldn't say a single word for a couple minutes at a time ! F'ing beautiful job. 5 stars for production quality.

Hey, I don't love the fact that the Pats game is at the same time as the Cs game on Sunday, but the notion that the NFL should have considered the regular season schedules of other leagues is ludicrous.

NFL playoff game =
Way
WAY
More important than a mid-season NBA game both via TV revenue AND to the average fan.

Put the Celtics/Lakers vs. the Bengals/J E T S game this weekend and the Celtics/Lakers would get WAXED in the ratings, even in the Boston area
WAXED

NFL playoff game =
Way
WAY
More important than a mid-season NBA game both via TV revenue AND to the average fan.

Put the Celtics/Lakers vs. the Bengals/J E T S game this weekend and the Celtics/Lakers would get WAXED in the ratings, even in the Boston area
WAXED

I thought the ratings for the Pats beat the Sox during a playoff run in september/October

Back