MERGED - How is Gostkowski still on this team?

It's not a strawman because I'm not presenting an argument against any particular point or person here. In fact I never made the argument that he should be off the team.

What I did say was the big kicks that he has missed is enough to make you consider someone else. Then I stated it's my opinion Gostkowski would have lost his job had he missed the 41 yd fg, based on his track record of missing big kicks. You are trying to take my opinion he would be gone if he missed his last kick and apply it to an argument that I never made.
Isn't he is a top 5 kicker every year? A kicker who gets you into the playoffs!

I think we are all, myself included, spoiled and searching out flaws that don't exist because we have to find a flaw in the team. We are creating an issue that doesn't exist.

I think we are all, myself included, spoiled and searching out flaws that don't exist because we have to find a flaw in the team. We are creating an issue that doesn't exist.

Fair enough, we are very spoiled. I just get a bad feeling every time Gost lines up for a big kick ever since the 2015 AFCCG. Would be nice to have the best clutch kicker but this could be nit picking, hes got 3 rings with us. I hope that last kick gives him a good boost of confidence.

Missed an XP against Denver that might have had us discussing #7 right now.

You're right, the offensive line played no role in losing that game. Neither did the secondary, letting noodle-arm Manning complete wobble-balls at will.

It was all Gostkowski. :coffee:

We'll see, he's a UFA. I'll be stunned if he doesn't get a 3-year extension if he wants it. He didn't take all those 'restructures' and 'haircuts' that he was supposedly going to have to take, since he sucked so bad, either, over this last contract.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

That was HUGE.

Meh.

You're right, the offensive line played no role in losing that game. Neither did the secondary, letting noodle-arm Manning complete wobble-balls at will.

It was all Gostkowski. :coffee:

We'll see, he's a UFA. I'll be stunned if he doesn't get a 3-year extension if he wants it. He didn't take all those 'restructures' and 'haircuts' that he was supposedly going to have to take, since he sucked so bad, either, over this last contract.

Cmon Tommy.

Sure the OLine blew. But they were hurt. Why the Stork tell wasn’t eliminated baffled me.

And the coverage to TEs TWICE killed me!

But an extra point?

Can’t have that. Not there.

Cmon Tommy.

Sure the OLine blew. But they were hurt. Why the Stork tell wasn’t eliminated baffled me.

And the coverage to TEs TWICE killed me!

But an extra point?

Can’t have that. Not there.

It was in the first quarter.

Owen Fucking Daniels made Jamie Collins his bitch twice, but that's Gostkowski's fault too, I'm sure. It didn't cost them the game. To say it did is nonsense.

WHAT????? The hell you say, I dont believe that for a second. :coffee:

It was in the first quarter.

Owen Fucking Daniels made Jamie Collins his bitch twice, but that's Gostkowski's fault too, I'm sure. It didn't cost them the game. To say it did is nonsense.

A virtual gimme point for a professional in a game of few points that forced them to go for 2 late certainly didn’t help. At all.

And I’ll agree, of FAR more impact is fvcking Jamie Collins. He melted. Fvck him. I changed my mind. Go to the Bungles. Perfect fit. Fvckhead.

I would say that his season averages/stats are consistently good, but he's picked some bad times to miss XPs/FGs.

Brady being Brady has covered some of it up (Atlanta) though.

A virtual gimme point for a professional in a game of few points that forced them to go for 2 late certainly didn’t help. At all.

And I’ll agree, of FAR more impact is fvcking Jamie Collins. He melted. Fvck him. I changed my mind. Go to the Bungles. Perfect fit. Fvckhead.

Thank you, this is the right response. :coffee:

I would say that his season averages/stats are consistently good, but he's picked some bad times to miss XPs/FGs.

Brady being Brady has covered some of it up (Atlanta) though.

I mean, no time is a good time for a miss.

But show me the kicker who never misses, and I'll support going to get him.

I mean, Zeurlein missed the same kick in the same direction (and missed it worse), and his literally lost his team even the slimmest of comeback hopes.

I mean, no time is a good time for a miss.

But show me the kicker who never misses, and I'll support going to get him.

I mean, Zeurlein missed the same kick in the same direction (and missed it worse), and his literally lost his team even the slimmest of comeback hopes.

I wasn't implying he should never miss.

What I meant was:

1. Missing a kick in the playoffs is obviously worse than missing in September

2. Missing a kick in the playoffs (especially in a close loss) stands out in the minds of fans, so it leaves a negative impression

Point is, if he hits 90% of his kicks but those 10% are all in January-Feb then fans are going to be more upset with his play than if all his misses are in the regular season. Doesn't even mean he misses in Jan-Feb more than anyone else, but it just means we are more likely to remember his misses when they occur in big games.

Doesn't mean there's a better option or that he should be replaced though.

What I meant was:

2. Missing a kick in the playoffs (especially in a close loss) stands out in the minds of fans, so it leaves a negative impression

Point is, if he hits 90% of his kicks but those 10% are all in January-Feb then fans are going to be more upset with his play than if all his misses are in the regular season. Doesn't even mean he misses in Jan-Feb more than anyone else, but it just means we are more likely to remember his misses when they occur in big games.

Agree.

I just get a bad feeling every time Gost lines up for a big kick...
I do and would get that feeling no matter who it is, Vin, Gost, the next guy...they are kickers, none are perfect and misses can come at anytime.

I say careful what you wish for, there's a good chance the next guy isn't going to be as good as Gost. Just look how many teams have burned through multiple kickers over the years or even in the same season. I feel blessed to only have had 2 kickers since the mid 90's.

I do and would get that feeling no matter who it is, Vin, Gost, the next guy...they are kickers, none are perfect and misses can come at anytime.

I say careful what you wish for, there's a good chance the next guy isn't going to be as good as Gost. Just look how many teams have burned through multiple kickers over the years or even in the same season. I feel blessed to only have had 2 kickers since the mid 90's.

This. AV missed a field goal and extra point in the playoffs against the Chiefs. Granted we got our butts kicked, that changed the dynamic of the game big time. Instead of it being a one touchdown game in the 4th quarter it was an 11 point game. No kicker is automatic unfortunately. There are some extremely good kickers, but even the greats miss field goals at times. Didn't the Packers kicker miss like 3 or 4 in a game this season? Poor bastard.

This. AV missed a field goal and extra point in the playoffs against the Chiefs. Granted we got our butts kicked, that changed the dynamic of the game big time. Instead of it being a one touchdown game in the 4th quarter it was an 11 point game. No kicker is automatic unfortunately. There are some extremely good kickers, but even the greats miss field goals at times. Didn't the Packers kicker miss like 3 or 4 in a game this season? Poor bastard.

Your game was over at kickoff with that travesty of a plan Reich delivered.

Josh realized late in a rock fight his initial might not get it done. Gathered O. Told them we’re scrapping it. Went to an attack they hadn’t practiced on the fly. And got the game winning 4th Q drive.

Josh is best.

What I meant was:

The thing is his percentage is higher in the playoffs than in the regular season, so he actually elevates in Jan/Feb(statistically speaking). There's no denying there were some bad misses in there, but clutch kicks can happen at times other than at the very end of the game, but people don't remember those. They just remember misses as you pointed out.

You would really have to take every single kick in context to really measure how good/bad he is in "clutch" situations. So someone should go study some film :)

To me even kicks early in playoff games are big, even if the game ends up as a blowout because you didn't know it would end up that way at the time.

Vinatieri makes those kicks (An XP and a 23-yarder, IIRC), then the Colts are down 7 with the ball in the 4th quarter, after having done NOTHING the entire game, offnsively.

Back