MERGED - Marquise Hill dead after jetski accident in Lake Pontchatrain

RIP

My prayers are with the Hill familyand closest friends.

Very sorry to hear about this news. Does anyone know if he couldn't swim or just go caught up in the current? Lake Pontchatrain has pretty rough waters, doesn't it?

This is such sad news :( He is my age and I couldn't imagine what it must feel like to have something like this happen to any of my friends. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

My thoughts and prayers to the Hill family. I just got back from a long weekend of jet skiing and water sports myself. Needless to say, I always insist that everyone wears the life jackets, even the strong swimmers. Why take a chance when you don't have too. Wow, this is very sad.

So very sad! :( My heart goes out to his family. I'll say a little prayer for him.

Just heard this news and really can't believe it.
So avoidable, so tragic. Like wearing your seatbelt.

Condolences to the Hill, LSU, and Patriots families. 24. Jeesh.

Speaking as a Washington Redskins fan, i'm just here to say i'm sorry for the loss of Marquise and that my prayers will be with his family tonight. Sorry you fans have to go thru this.

My sympathies on the loss of this young man.

I hadn't heard about it till this morning, when I saw it on the news.

Truly sad... :(

My brother in law lived on Lake Ponchartain on a sailboat for several years and told me it is pretty shallow with a typical depth of only 6-7 feet. So, it sounds like the strong current might have been a big factor, but regardless of why a young man is dead and my thoughts and prayers are with his family.

As an aside, I feel like an ass for being Hill's number one detractor on these pages and wish I had just kept my big mouth shut.

Hawg73 on 05-29-2007 at 08:11 AM said:
As an aside, I feel like an ass for being Hill's number one detractor on these pages and wish I had just kept my big mouth shut.

Don't be. The fact that he turned out to be a sucky draft pick has nothing to do with it. He could've been Tom Brady or he could've been a walk-on FA scrub who got cut after training camp. What kind of football player he was is immaterial to the fact that he was young and died needlessly.

Rest in piece, Marquise. I wish you were still here for us to make fun of and clamor for the team to cut you. :(

here's a little more from pft -

LOSS OF HILL CREATES A BIG VOID

Although late Patriots defensive end Marquise Hill wasn't a household name in NFL circles, he made a significant impact in his three NFL seasons.

A member of the LSU national championship team, Hill entered the league as a second-round draft pick. But in a system that uses only three down linemen, and with a trio of down linemen named Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, and Ty Warren, a lot of guys currently starting in other NFL cities would have been on the sidelines for much of the time, too.

But Hill still had a great perspective, as evidenced by quotes contained in Tuesday's Boston Herald. "I don't worry about what other people say, because they can't play football," Hill said during the 2006 season. "You can't get down on yourself too early in your career if you’re behind some good guys. Obviously you want to play, but everything happens for a reason, so you have to sit back and wait, and when your time comes, take advantage of it."

Hill also is being remembered today as a hero. After the jet ski on which he and a female friend were riding Sunday night in Lake Pontchartrain overturned, Hill helped her to a buoy and told her to stay calm, before drifting away in another direction.

An off-duty law enforcement officer heard the woman's screams for help, and he nearly rescued Hill.

Hill is remembered as a player who helped the team in many ways other than between the lines on game days. "He worked hard and he was a funny guy," defensive lineman Jarvis Green told the Boston Globe. "It's like Coach always says: 'Even if you're not on the field, you can still do a lot to help the team.' He was out there pushing guys in practice."

"He also liked to have fun and enjoy things. He always would say, 'Life is short.' He could find anything, anywhere, and talk about it and make everybody laugh. . . . He wouldn't sit here and be miserable. He was a guy who always smiled."

Hill also found ways to help the community. In October 2005, he led a group of Patriots players to his hometown of New Orleans, where they helped an M.S. patient who had survived Hurricane Katrina by building a ramp to her home, repairing her fence, and cleaning up her yard.

Hill is survived by a two-year-old son and a fiancee, Inell Benn.

Therick67 on 05-28-2007 at 09:19 PM said:
May 28, 2007
Pats statements
The Patriots released the following statements from chairman/CEO Robert Kraft and coach Bill Belichick regarding Marquise Hill:

Robert Kraft:
“We are absolutely heartbroken to learn of Marquise’s death. Our immediate thoughts go to Marquise’s mother, Sherry, and the rest of his family. He was only 24 years old and his death is hard to comprehend. Marquise was a very respectful young man who worked hard to improve and was always eager to contribute to the team, both on the field and in the community. On behalf of the entire Patriots organization, we extend

our most heartfelt sympathies to Marquise’s family and friends who mourn his loss.”

Bill Belichick:
“We have suffered a stunning and tragic loss today. Marquise will be remembered as a thoughtful and caring young man who established himself as one of the year-round daily fixtures of our team. I send my deepest condolences to the Hill family.”

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 07:32:59 PM | Link | E-mail to a friend

I always figured that Marquise brought more to the team than met the eye while watching the field. These statements seem to confirm that.

It sounds like he was a truly good young man and it's too bad that he passed, particularly in the way that he did. My condolences to his family and friends and to the rest of the Patriots organization.

Rest in Peace, Marquise.

I'm alittle late to post on this one, as I'm moving soon and don't have internet and won't for about a month...

I just wanted to add my condolences, as I'm at a bit of a loss for words right now

Marquise was indeed a big man with an even bigger heart.

The first time we had a one-on-one conversation was one he initiated. He said to me: "What's going on down in New Bedford?" I had no idea what he was talking about. Not to mention the fact that he knew that I was from the city.

Marquise went on to tell me there was a shooting the night before. A cop shot a man who was wielding a toy gun. Marquise said he had been following the story on the news. I'll never forget that conversation.

As it turned out, we had other discussions about the day-to-day things going on in New Bedford - not all of them good either. He seemed genuinely concerned about the city and the youth.

Well, there really isn't anything I could say here that has not already been said.

Condolances to the Patriots, the Hill family, and any close friends.

On behalf of the whole Broncosfreak.com community I would like to send my sincere condolences to Marquise Hill's family, friends and all of the fans on this fine forum. It's hard to understand why these things happen. This offseason has been very difficult for the NFL in general with the loss of D Will, Damien Nash and now Marquise Hill. Life is too short. Enjoy every day. Live life to the fullest. God speed. If there is any sort of memorial donations that you are setting up please don't hesitate to email me or contact me on the Freak...I have the same handle there. Take care.

The Pats have adjusted the index page of their site so it honors Hill.

CanuckBroncofan on 05-29-2007 at 12:00 PM said:
On behalf of the whole Broncosfreak.com community I would like to send my sincere condolences to Marquise Hill's family, friends and all of the fans on this fine forum. It's hard to understand why these things happen. This offseason has been very difficult for the NFL in general with the loss of D Will, Damien Nash and now Marquise Hill. Life is too short. Enjoy every day. Live life to the fullest. God speed. If there is any sort of memorial donations that you are setting up please don't hesitate to email me or contact me on the Freak...I have the same handle there. Take care.

Thanks Canuck, and to everyone at Broncosfreaks. :thumb:

Back