Miami Christmas Thoughts

Well, I see what most see. Poor safety play, down seasons from McCourty, Wilfork & Mayo, No Ras-I so who knows what's he is about (BB obviously was very high on him in the game and a quarter he played). BB needs better one on one CBs to do much of what he's trying to do.

If I had a wish list I could fullfill, I'd like to see a dominant Defensive lineman who controls at least one side of the LOS, a fast cover backer who can really play (unlike Guyton) and a top free safety who can move around and make plays sideline to sideline. If I want to be greedy, an OLB upgrade over Niko wouldn't be bad either although he pretty decent. A great pass rusher sounds nice but those guys are rare and typically one dimensional.

You can't have all-stars at every position so a DL/S/Cover backer would be about as much as I could ask for for new personnel. A return to form for Mayo/Wilfork/McCourty, a healthy year for Ras-I and health and improvement from Fletcher/Spikes would go a long way to squaring this defense away.

This team needs an outside threat at WR. Someone who can win one on one match-ups. He doesn't have to be Moss, he can be Gaffney and he'll get the job done. Price and Tate had the potential but couldn't break in so BB put big $$$ into Ocho and we've all seen the result. He might get another chance with a full off-season but I wouldn't be surprised to see the team go in another direction.

I've been thinking about personnel needs for a few weeks now. S is an obvious need but S will have to be taken early because of slim pickings in this draft after the first 2. DL is a need, since as it is, we have Ellis who is an ancient veteran to replace. CB is a need with as much sub defense as the Pats play. Ras-I is a hybrid who could play S but that magnifies the need at CB. OLB is also a need from my perspective unless BB has confidence in Ninkovich who to me looks average at best. I'm on board with the WR position unless 85 shows an awful lot of progress from here on out. This should prove to be a very interesting draft day and FA period at Gillette.

Just another random thought about the broadcast. At the end of the game, after Welker caught the game sealing 6 Yd 1st down toss, Brady pitched the ball wide to Ridley who took it out side from the 31 to the 49 for an 18 yard pickup and another 1st before being rolled OB to stop the clock, whereupon the announcers got all over him as if it were the same thing as when Marion "the Moron" Barber ran OB in the Bears/Broncos game a few weeks back.

Yeah it's better if he stays in bounds, but IMO no apologies necessary for matriculatin' the ball down the field and getting another first. The game was in the bag anyway and once again, the announces are clinging to Cliche and remaining, almost as always oblivious to Nuance.

Cheers, BostonTim

Well, I see what most see. Poor safety play, down seasons from McCourty, Wilfork & Mayo, No Ras-I so who knows what's he is about (BB obviously was very high on him in the game and a quarter he played). BB needs better one on one CBs to do much of what he's trying to do.

It's also tough for me to say as I don't see much NFL football during the year. I wonder just how much the injury situation has contributed to the poor defense. Earlier in the year, Chung was taking away TEs with help from Niko but now BB has to use two players to do it and there's no one on the active roster capable of taking away great slot receivers alone so the CBs are finding themselves one on one too often for their talents.

BB is doing an awful lot of game planning and moving of bodies to get a mix that just barely works.

The defense is made up of a bunch of "solid" guys but no superstars. Wilfork and Mayo should be but haven't played that way this year.

If I had a wish list I could fullfill, I'd like to see a dominant Defensive lineman who controls at least one side of the LOS, a fast cover backer who can really play (unlike Guyton) and a top free safety who can move around and make plays sideline to sideline. If I want to be greedy, an OLB upgrade over Niko wouldn't be bad either although he pretty decent. A great pass rusher sounds nice but those guys are rare and typically one dimensional.

You can't have all-stars at every position so a DL/S/Cover backer would be about as much as I could ask for for new personnel. A return to form for Mayo/Wilfork/McCourty, a healthy year for Ras-I and health and improvement from Fletcher/Spikes would go a long way to squaring this defense away.

It's never going to be the dominant unit it once was because BB's philosophy has changed. He once put the majority of the team's cap $$$ into the defense believing that you could win with great defense, special teams and adequate offense. His offense used to look like his defense does now, littered with cast-offs, cheap veteran FAs and UDFA working around a couple high profile people.

Remember the days of Mike Compton, Joe Andruzzi, Charles Johnson, Fred Coleman, Brandon Gorwin and many others? BB has completely shifted his thinking to offense. He wants to pay a few key guys on defense and fill in with cheaper solid players who will operate at a level that will allow his offense to win games. The endless series of injuries has made it tough on this defense so we don't really know if it would have been adequate or not. If there is only a small amount of money to spend, I'd spend it on a real safety to pair up with Chung and hope to stay healthy.

There were roster decisions regarding the defensive backfield which are being criticized now but people forget that an NFL roster is limited. You can only carry so many people. Saying that Butler and Wilhite would be better than Jones and Eldelman is true but BB started the year with Dowling and Bodden. He cut those other guys in favor of them and they were both injured. Cutting Sanders and letting Merriweather go are a different story, one that can be rightly criticized.

Offensively, I'd do what had to be done to re-sign Welker. After that there are few weaknesses other than at WR and Center. Light, Solder, Vollmer & Cannon are a formidable tackle unit when healthy. The TE spot is off the charts (a true third guy would be nice though) and the RB corps looks set for a few years. It's young and cheap and after Faulk goes a roster spot will open up.

This team needs an outside threat at WR. Someone who can win one on one match-ups. He doesn't have to be Moss, he can be Gaffney and he'll get the job done. Price and Tate had the potential but couldn't break in so BB put big $$$ into Ocho and we've all seen the result. He might get another chance with a full off-season but I wouldn't be surprised to see the team go in another direction.

I would have liked to see the Pats go after the Packers' Jones or the Chargers' Floyd last year as FAs but they stayed away preferring Ocho who is cheaper and should have been the answer. I'm not sure which WRs are available in FA beyond Welk but the pie is pretty small. I don't see a lot of $$ available for free agents. Maybe German patriot can give us some idea of the $$$ situation as he sees it for next year.

Great run down....question...Is BB really putting that much on the offensive side of the ball? It seems he is still looking to add a lot of players on defense, and kinda fill in whatever on offense especially at wideout. Other than the TE's working out the way they did, he is not really adding anything at wideout to this point, nor has he in awhile. I mean other than Oline which was a need, most of his first round picks have went to the defense.

Great run down....question...Is BB really putting that much on the offensive side of the ball? It seems he is still looking to add a lot of players on defense, and kinda fill in whatever on offense especially at wideout. Other than the TE's working out the way they did, he is not really adding anything at wideout to this point, nor has he in awhile. I mean other than Oline which was a need, most of his first round picks have went to the defense.

Again, GP would know better that I but I have to assume that Brady's contract alone dictates that the bulk of the $$$ is allotted to the offense. Ocho and Branch were brought in and are getting paid too and Welk is in line for a huge upgrade. Mankins is making huge money compared to what Andruzzi and Neal used to get as well. Light and Koppen are more expensive now as well. I think that BB is right about poring $$ into certain positions. I'd rather he pore money into the QB position and the OL than the defensive backfield, that's for sure.

I'm not suggesting that BB has totally neglected the defense. He's tried to build a decent unit but he's not going to short change the offense to do it.

While at my sister's house cooking dinner and keeping one eye on the game, I was handed a gift and was told to open it immediately. It was a brand new Patriots hat, with a switch inside which lit up the logo. I put it on, and NE came alive. Props to my sister for the timely gift...and you're all welcome :toast:

I've been thinking about personnel needs for a few weeks now. S is an obvious need but S will have to be taken early because of slim pickings in this draft after the first 2. DL is a need, since as it is, we have Ellis who is an ancient veteran to replace. CB is a need with as much sub defense as the Pats play. Ras-I is a hybrid who could play S but that magnifies the need at CB. OLB is also a need from my perspective unless BB has confidence in Ninkovich who to me looks average at best. I'm on board with the WR position unless 85 shows an awful lot of progress from here on out. This should prove to be a very interesting draft day and FA period at Gillette.

Unfortunately, there are more holes than expected just a year ago. It's unfortunate but that's the NFL. Are there any vet FA safeties on the horizon who could come in without breaking the bank? I'd be shocked if BB used a high draft pick on an inferior safety prospect just because it's a need. Everyone here knows his philosophy on that issue.

Again, GP would know better that I but I have to assume that Brady's contract alone dictates that the bulk of the $$$ is allotted to the offense. Ocho and Branch were brought in and are getting paid too and Welk is in line for a huge upgrade. Mankins is making huge money compared to what Andruzzi and Neal used to get as well. Light and Koppen are more expensive now as well. I think that BB is right about poring $$ into certain positions. I'd rather he pore money into the QB position and the OL than the defensive backfield, that's for sure.

You're right. I looked at the initial 53man roster and the gap between Offense and Defense was roughly $10M.

I'm not suggesting that BB has totally neglected the defense. He's tried to build a decent unit but he's not going to short change the offense to do it.

Branch I would think is not getting paid much considering he was cut and picked up. I think Ocho is around 5 mil....I guess that is where the problem is. Oline is probably a bulk of the money, but our receivers in the realm of what other teams are paying is nothing. Of course that is before welker's contract which up to now has been peanuts. I guess I was thinking from a standpoint of what was brought in here rather than the amount they are getting, the big money guys are players who were already here...Brady, Mankins, etc.

Branch I would think is not getting paid much considering he was cut and picked up. I think Ocho is around 5 mil....

Branch was not cut, they traded for him. He gets $2.2M plus possible incentives, Ocho is somewhere around $2.8M.

Branch I would think is not getting paid much considering he was cut and picked up. I think Ocho is around 5 mil....I guess that is where the problem is. Oline is probably a bulk of the money, but our receivers in the realm of what other teams are paying is nothing. Of course that is before welker's contract which up to now has been peanuts. I guess I was thinking from a standpoint of what was brought in here rather than the amount they are getting, the big money guys are players who were already here...Brady, Mankins, etc.
Merry Christmas Middy, Deion makes 2.2 million this year...the numbers are here http://patscap.com/

Any chance you have the numbers for the 2003-2004 period? I wonder how it looked then.

http://patscap.com/2004cap.html

http://patscap.com/2003cap.html

Branch was not cut, they traded for him. He gets $2.2M plus possible incentives, Ocho is somewhere around $2.8M.

What is Ocho's cap hit if he is released prior to 2012?

Does anyone still have any hopes for him? I'd imagine their are more optimistic guys in the locker room than in the entire fanbase.

Does anyone still have any hopes for him? I'd imagine their are more optimistic guys in the locker room than in the entire fanbase.

It depends if you buy into the Secret Weapon/Corey Croom Theory of Playoff Football.

I don't. But the team seems to feel he'll get it, he just needs moar tyme.

Hey, if they are intentionally holding him (and to a lesser degree, Snuffy) back - some poor team is going to be in for a big surprise.

I was about to post that :thumb:

Well, now we need you to tell us what it means!!! I did the rough (real rough) math and it's looks like the Defense was about ten mil more expensive than the Offense back then so it appears the $$$ has flipped. Not surprising if correct.

Back