miami - Pats Official game-day Thread

Completely disagree. The downward spiral is steep and fast for teams that don’t regularly make the playoffs no matter a quick exit or not.

The culture needs to be one of reaching for each/next step for everything. Family. Self. Business. Sports. Laying down breeds a long term mentality of being lesser.
I can't argue that aspect - it's huge. But they'll still get blown out in a round 1 matchup and it will still be difficult to say they haven't regressed vs. 2021.

As a fan, I am looking forward to the draft and the additional cap space they will have next year. If that doesn't aid in a positive trajectory, we've likely come to the true end of the road with this regime. I am still optimistic based on the past two drafts, plus what 2023 potentially has in store but I have mentally filed the 2022 Patriots in the circular file bin somewhere next to the file on the 2009 Patriots.

I don't care who benefitted from it or when. I'm simply stating the rule. Whether a player was down when ruled down by forward progress is not reviewable. Whether the ball came out before the player was ruled down by forward progress is reviewable, as Gene Serretore points out.
Ok let’s try this again. He’s wrong according to the NFL rules. It’s been called this way for a while. Is it right who knows? Could BB challenge sure but It would be a waste of a challenge is my point...

Yes he fumbled but what good is it to review the play? It was a fumble and clearly recovered but the play was called dead before the recovery regardless if he fumbled or not the play was dead. Go ahead throw the challenge flag and lose the challenge. Could he of thrown the challenge flag sure, but at what cost is what the refs were telling BB. My point. Below is the explanation and the call has been consistently called this way like it or not my point. It has zero to do with who benefitted just as long as it’s consistent my point and it has been.... benefited may have been the wrong choice of word.

What’s the downside? We saw the Chiefs get burned by this rule twice against the Titans in the 2018 Wild Card Round. Forward progress can get tricky when there’s a fumble involved.

Marcus Mariota took a sack from Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson, and Mariota clearly fumbled the ball in the process. The Chiefs recovered, but it didn’t matter. Officials had blown the play dead, ruling Mariota down by forward progress.

What happens when forward progress is called? Two things happen: The play is over, and the ball is dead. The line of scrimmage is marked at the point of the ball that is closest to the opponent’s end zone when the whistle is blown.

Deciding when to call forward progress is just a judgment call for officials. Typically, if a ball carrier’s legs are still moving and he’s still trying to advance the ball, they aren’t expected to blow the whistle until it’s clear there’s no more hope for forward momentum.
Im just saying this is the way it’s been call for a long time even during his tenure period. His last game was 2018 Super Bowl LII. The game they use as an example and how and why it was called was the wildcard game 2018 .....

~Dee~

Last edited:
Completely disagree. The downward spiral is steep and fast for teams that don’t regularly make the playoffs no matter a quick exit or not.

The culture needs to be one of reaching for each/next step for everything. Family. Self. Business. Sports. Laying down breeds a long term mentality of being lesser.

Very well said.

Maybe tanking is the answer in basketball where there are only 5 guys that matter on a team, but a football team is
sort of an organic thing that needs to be handled right psychologically or you're cooked.

I say let the chips fall where they may, you do the best you can and then make good decisions on personnel and you're better
off than risking it all on one guy who could turn out to be Zack Wilson.

you're better off than risking it all on one guy who could turn out to be Zack Wilson.

Ashton Kutcher Burn GIF by PeacockTV

I can't argue that aspect - it's huge. But they'll still get blown out in a round 1 matchup and it will still be difficult to say they haven't regressed vs. 2021.

As a fan, I am looking forward to the draft and the additional cap space they will have next year. If that doesn't aid in a positive trajectory, we've likely come to the true end of the road with this regime. I am still optimistic based on the past two drafts, plus what 2023 potentially has in store but I have mentally filed the 2022 Patriots in the circular file bin somewhere next to the file on the 2009 Patriots.
Totally looking forward to the next draft as well as the continued evolution of some of our young players.

If Belichick pulls off this rebuild in three years while keeping the team competitive for playoff spots each of those years, I think it would be considered tremendous.

If Belichick pulls off this rebuild in three years while keeping the team competitive for playoff spots each of those years, I think it would be considered tremendous.
To quote Michaleen Oge Flynn in the Quiet Man, "Homeric".

Totally looking forward to the next draft as well as the continued evolution of some of our young players.

Umpossible - Belichick no good coach, only because TOMMY - Rah!

Are we “average“ yep... people don’t remember what average years which were abundant even during Brady’s time before parity ....

~Dee~
Sure we were below average for most of my fandom before Bledsoe. Other than Grogan, we got to watch the likes of Eason, Tommy Hodson, and Hugh Million. Those were years that would test most fans because there was no hope. With the Krafts as owners I don't believe the team will fall that low again because a large part of those dark day came from ownership, and I don't believe that today's ownership will allow Bill's moronic decisions to continue.

Back