Mike Reiss predicts a 9-7 season

spacecrime

Reaction score
Mike Reiss predicts a 9-7 season. He has the Pats having a rough early/middle season and then finishing strong. He has them 4-2 in the division which might be enough to take the AFCE where everyone seems to be competitive. With this brutal schedule, if they are good enough to make the playoffs, they might be good enough to advance at least to the divisional round, maybe even the AFCCG.

Game-by-game prediction

Sept. 13: vs. Miami, Win

Sept. 20: at Seattle, Loss

Sept. 27: vs. Las Vegas, Win

Oct. 4: at Kansas City, Loss

Oct. 11: vs. Denver, Win

Oct. 18: BYE

Oct. 25: vs. San Francisco, Loss

Nov. 1: at Buffalo, Loss

Nov. 9: at N.Y. Jets, Win

Nov. 15: vs. Baltimore, Loss

Nov. 22: at Houston, Loss

Nov. 29: vs. Arizona, Win

Dec. 6: at L.A. Chargers, Win

Dec. 10: at L.A. Rams, Win

Dec. 20: at Miami, Loss

Dec. 28: vs. Buffalo, Win

Jan. 3: vs. N.Y. Jets, Win

Strength of schedule: 1st, .537

Dang, they go almost a month between home games. Also I hate the early bye. Though it may not be as painful with a younger team.

I still think we'll be OK. 12-4 even.

There are only a small, tiny even, number of decent teams in this league. You take the Chiefs, Ravens and Niners and that's it in terms of genuinely very goos teams. The Pats will struggle against those teams.

But everyone else? Please. The NFC is not a good conference. The Hawks or Saints are decent, GB and Dallas vastly overrated.

And the rest of the AFC is very ordinary.

Hard to find fault with Mike's take but I do think the Pats sweep the Bills so I'm thinking 10-6 with a good chance to sweep the Dolphins since Stid has no history of losses at Miami the way TB does. 11-5? Maybe. But I'd be happy with 8-8. Some of those games are toss ups which could go either way.

The Bills have a great roster & a smart HC but they also have Josh Allen at QB and I trust our DBs to come through.

Mike Reiss predicts a 9-7 season. He has the Pats having a rough early/middle season and then finishing strong. He has them 4-2 in the division which might be enough to take the AFCE where everyone seems to be competitive. With this brutal schedule, if they are good enough to make the playoffs, they might be good enough to advance at least to the divisional round, maybe even the AFCCG.

Game-by-game prediction

San Francisco and Houston imo, could go either way. Which San Fran team will show up? The world beaters from last year? Or will they follow in the foot steps of past Super Bowl losers and struggle to get 8-9 wins? Buffalo, imo is another one that could go either way. We have the edge in the coaching department over most teams and while Buffalo is talented, I think the coaching staff is sub par. Again this is just my opinion.

I don't disagree with the 9-7 but I do think a couple of those games can be won and that would change our season.. I see the Pats finishing in the AFC East at 5-1 or 4-2, is it good to win the division, I have
no idea.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

I hope they tank...I'm not joking either. Shank it for Shaggy...

Shaggy? Tyler Lawrence?

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

There are only a small, tiny even, number of decent teams in this league. You take the Chiefs, Ravens and Niners and that's it in terms of genuinely very goos teams. The Pats will struggle against those teams.

But everyone else? Please. The NFC is not a good conference. The Hawks or Saints are decent, GB and Dallas vastly overrated.

The 49ers are an unknown right now. Will they follow in the footsteps of the Falcons and Rams and most Super Bowl losing teams? Or will they bounce back and have another great season? I'm not completely convinced they will be the power house they were last season.

I’m expecting real growing pains. I think the schedule is brutal and we really take it on to chin. Bill gets the team pointed in the right direction and closes with 3 straight Ws to finish 7-9 with solid development and a team identity moving forward. Stids growing pains are real, but with luck he shows he’s our guy for the future.

That’s my guess.

12 and 4? Wow. I hope you are correct. I'm thinking 10 and 6.

San Francisco and Houston imo, could go either way. Which San Fran team will show up? The world beaters from last year? Or will they follow in the foot steps of past Super Bowl losers and struggle to get 8-9 wins? Buffalo, imo is another one that could go either way. We have the edge in the coaching department over most teams and while Buffalo is talented, I think the coaching staff is sub par. Again this is just my opinion.

I don't disagree with the 9-7 but I do think a couple of those games can be won and that would change our season.. I see the Pats finishing in the AFC East at 5-1 or 4-2, is it good to win the division, I have
no idea.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Shaggy? Tyler Lawrence?

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

The 49ers are an unknown right now. Will they follow in the footsteps of the Falcons and Rams and most Super Bowl losing teams? Or will they bounce back and have another great season? I'm not completely convinced they will be the power house they were last season.

Trevor Lawrence. I think Jax is in the drivers seat to land him.They will be a 2 or 3 win team at best.

12 and 4? Wow. I hope you are correct. I'm thinking 10 and 6.

I have 9-7 if a lot of things go right. 8-8 not out of the question. Way too many questions and a harsh schedule. Then against its hard to predict who will get hurt and such from other teams, so you never know, but this is lesser of a team than last year and last year was the easiest schedule in football, so I think that could for sure cost 3 wins.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Explain how we are one of those decent teams now? You think the pats are better than the Saints and Packers Or Seattle?

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Game-by-game prediction

You think 9 wins will beat Buffalo in the division? They seem the same to me this year with a better receiving corp

I have 9-7 if a lot of things go right. 8-8 not out of the question. Way too many questions and a harsh schedule. Then against its hard to predict who will get hurt and such from other teams, so you never know, but this is lesser of a team than last year and last year was the easiest schedule in football, so I think that could for sure cost 3 wins.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Explain how we are one of those decent teams now? You think the pats are better than the Saints and Packers Or Seattle?

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

You think 9 wins will beat Buffalo in the division? They seem the same to me this year with a better receiving corp

I don't have to explain anything.

I don't have to explain anything.
????

Obviously you don't understand the rules about posting anything that does not put Brady in the most favorable light possible. It is vitally important that the Pats not do well now that Brady is gone. Certainly, they must NOT (gasp) win the division the year after Brady left as you said might be possible. Don't you realize how horrible it would be if they won the division and went to the playoffs and then won a playoff game the year after that didn't happen with Brady? OMG, man! It would be worse than when Cassel went 11-5 in 2008, then Brady came back the next year and took the team to 10-6.

Please adjust your opinions accordingly.

That’s the toughest schedule I can remember. I don’t see how they go better than .500.

Really with the playoff expansion it doesn’t mean much getting in anymore. Getting in has changed to winning a game, in terms of an accomplishment.

I’m rooting for stidham. If he shows he’s the guy I’ll consider the season a success.

If things go well I see Pats winning 10-11 games. The defense is still top 5 with that D-line and shutdown secondary. We'll see if BB's mad scientist moves to draft for the RPO pays off. If it does, that might set yet another blueprint to stop a certain gimmicky offense that gave many teams trouble during the regular season.

If Stidham has some growing pains then the record can easily go to 7-9 or 8-8 I think. I just don't see Pats being bottom dwellers with this team and this coach even for a year.

SI had an interesting article last week.

Patriots Appear to Be Building an RPO-Proof Defense

Right after they selected linebacker Josh Uche with the 60th overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the formula became abundantly clear: the New England Patriots are prepping themselves to defeat the RPO.

It's something they struggled with last season. They lost three regular season games to RPO-heavy teams (Baltimore Ravens, Houston Texans, and Kansas City Chiefs). In order to be able to shut down this offensive strategy that is quickly taking the league by storm, the Patriots needed three things: size, athleticism and versatility. This would allow them to line up in a normal 3-4 alignment and be in a comfortable position when seeing that play call.

The main idea was to get size on the interior of the defense and the middle linebackers spots and have speed and athleticism on the edges.
But where was Bill Belichick's first tip of the hand? When did he first tip his game plan for this philosophy during the offseason?

It came when he signed safety Adrian Phillips.

Phillips was the first versatile piece New England acquired this offseason. The former All-Pro safety saw snaps at linebacker with the Chargers, playing a role much like Patrick Chung has played in the past. He flies all over the field and plays up near the line of scrimmage on occasion. He is just one way to beef up the Patriots' run defense while not sacrificing anything in pass coverage. He has some of the best traits that help prevent New England's defense from being gashed by the RPO.

Next, we look to the draft, more specifically the first two picks for the Patriots. When talking about safety Kyle Dugger and linebacker Josh Uche, you cannot help but mention athleticism and versatility. Those traits are the first ones mentioned when talking about either of those players.

Dugger was asked during the Combine if he would consider a move to linebacker by some teams. While it is unclear if any one of those teams were the Patriots, it would certainly make sense they were. In the same fashion as Phillips, Dugger flies all over the field. Also, he might be the most athletic player on New England's defense in 2020. Both Phillips and Dugger can play snaps at linebacker and offer so much at that position. Again, that safety/linebacker hybrid can help provide speed on the edge, making tackles in space, while at the same time not sacrificing anything in the passing game.

As for Uche, he should be playing outside linebacker. However, there is some speculation that he could also play inside linebacker as well. One of Uche's college highlights was versus Penn State last season when he was able to to catch up, cover a fast K.J. Hamler, and breakup a past intended for him. That clip is enough to show that if Uche can do that, he can also track down a ball carrier running towards the sidelines. He has shown flashes of being a solid tackler in space, although he could improve here.

The athleticism and versatility of this year's revamped Patriots defense has now been highlighted. But what about size? Well, the size was on the roster last year. The size comes from Dont'a Hightower and Ja'Whaun Bentley at middle linebacker.

While it may take some time for the plan to completely unfold due to shortened rookie camps and less interactive offseason programs this year, the plan should eventually be for Uche and Anfernee Jennings to man the outside linebacker roles as soon as possible while Hightower and Bentley take the inside. Then, when facing RPO-heavy teams, rotate Dugger and Phillips at either Jennings' spot or as a safety in the box.

With the size of Hightower and Bentley in the middle and the three Swiss-Army knives (Uche, Dugger, and Phillips) roaming around the field, run-pass options will be difficult to run against the Patriots. The inside run and slant routes over the middle will be hard to complete with two big middle linebackers manning the fort, and runs to the outside and tight end flat routes will also be tough to complete with the speed and athleticism New England will have on the edges.

Look out for one of the Patriots' biggest weaknesses on defense last year to become one of their strong suits in 2020. Belichick knew after losing his star quarterback that he would have to bulk up a defense that was already pretty strong. He is prepping New England's defense to dominate some of the AFC's strongest offenses as the six-time Super Bowl champions try to maintain their high level of success into a third decade.

If he's right, and that defense does come into shape, then some of the L's to KC, Houston and Baltimore might just flip.

I doubt they will have it working at full speed in early October, for the KC game, but if it does come to pass, it should be in place by November.

If things go well I see Pats winning 10-11 games. The defense is still top 5 with that D-line and shutdown secondary. We'll see if BB's mad scientist moves to draft for the RPO pays off. If it does, that might set yet another blueprint to stop a certain gimmicky offense that gave many teams trouble during the regular season.

If Stidham has some growing pains then the record can easily go to 7-9 or 8-8 I think. I just don't see Pats being bottom dwellers with this team and this coach even for a year.
I think both these options are reasonable. If the NFL misses most of training camp, the teams with new QBs will have it rough. Stidham has been around a year and knows the system, so he'll be better off than rookies who will be starting than Burrow, TUa, Herbert type of total rookies, but still at a disadvantage compared to QBs who have played a season in the NFL. A lot will depend on the new QBs abilities. Smarter, better QBs will pick things up quicker than others. 7-9 or 8-8 definitely a possibility.

On the other hand, a training camp for Stidham working exclusively with the first team offense vs the first team defense will be huge for him. One thing Pasts fans have is the good fortune not only to have a great QB but to have him for such a long time working in the same basic system. How many QBs have the Jets had over the last 20 years.

EDIT: Also, good find by O_P_T on the RPO guys. I agree and think a TC for those guys from the top of our draft will be a big help. They'll know their roles better and can use the first part of the season for refine their play, not learn it against live opponents.

Everything he mentions is the second level.

If teams are getting to the second level they can run all day.

You have to control the line.

I’m not sure we can yet.

Everything he mentions is the second level.

If teams are getting to the second level they can run all day.

You have to control the line.

I’m not sure we can yet.

What about Beau Allen? 6'3" 330# on the line? zHe sounds like an improvement over what we had last year. and Copeland? He and Hightower both on the field should solidify second level, no?

And really, even though the Titans ran all over us, they still only scored what? 20 points? I think it will come down to Stidham and the WRs. And the TEs, I guess, though I'm not wild about rookie TEs not named Gronk or AHern in this offense. They were unique and remarkable in 2010. That ain't gonna happen with our new guys, I don't think.

What about Beau Allen? 6'3" 330# on the line? zHe sounds like an improvement over what we had last year. and Copeland? He and Hightower both on the field should solidify second level, no?

And really, even though the Titans ran all over us, they still only scored what? 20 points? I think it will come down to Stidham and the WRs. And the TEs, I guess, though I'm not wild about rookie TEs not named Gronk or AHern in this offense. They were unique and remarkable in 2010. That ain't gonna happen with our new guys, I don't think.

Danny Shelton wasn’t a slouch. How much Allen improves the line remains to be seen. I’m not viewing him as the second coming of Big Vince.

I think both these options are reasonable. If the NFL misses most of training camp, the teams with new QBs will have it rough. Stidham has been around a year and knows the system, so he'll be better off than rookies who will be starting than Burrow, TUa, Herbert type of total rookies, but still at a disadvantage compared to QBs who have played a season in the NFL. A lot will depend on the new QBs abilities. Smarter, better QBs will pick things up quicker than others. 7-9 or 8-8 definitely a possibility.

On the other hand, a training camp for Stidham working exclusively with the first team offense vs the first team defense will be huge for him. One thing Pasts fans have is the good fortune not only to have a great QB but to have him for such a long time working in the same basic system. How many QBs have the Jets had over the last 20 years.

EDIT: Also, good find by O_P_T on the RPO guys. I agree and think a TC for those guys from the top of our draft will be a big help. They'll know their roles better and can use the first part of the season for refine their play, not learn it against live opponents.

Well there is a reason some teams have 1 QB over years and some teams have many. Some players dont make it. Its like when people say, oh poor Qb he has had 4 offensive coordinators and 3 head coaches....well yeah there is a reason for that. He is not doing well and people are getting fired.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

The titans plan was not to score a lot of points, it was to control the clock and keep the pats offense off the field, they succeeded. Arena football is not how you win games. Titans are a run first team, that is their MO, and they ran it to perfection.

Back