Most important improvements for this season??

ParanoidPatriot

Big member
Reaction score
As I was taking some time from vacation fun to ponder the upcoming season I said to myself "self, what area do the Patriots need to improve this season"?.

I know that the most important key is keeping Brady healthy followed by no major injuries to key people. So we won't get into those.

Here are some options

The front 7 being able to dominate the LOS and putting pressure on the QB. We have the 3 best DL players in the league as a group. With the addition of Hobson and Mayo our LB's should be improved. The loss of Rosey is a factor but having AD at OLB should negate that. If Crable can serve the role of a pass rusher from the OLB it will add some things that we can do.

The DB's are a group that should be good but not great. They can have a very good year if the front 7 can put pressure on the QB. If not, they could be a problem.

The OL is a solid group but can be beaten by inside and outside speed rushers. Not many team have the DE's to move inside as the Giants have with Tuck and Cofield.

The running game showed well in the early season and late in the season. Maroney is in his 3rd year and showed that he now is ready to step it up and Morris being healthy all year will be a plus. This is a key to keep teams from loading up for the pass rush.

So which do you think is the most important improvement to be made? I rank the front 7 alone with the running game as the most important, but that's me.

Lets have some good, deep, football thinking on this subject.

Posted with permission of my bro. PATSNUTme

DBs and LBs. That's the area that cost them a Super Bowl. Oh, yeah, that and the turnstile O-line blocking. :banghead:

Hopefully that new LB blood will help. Hopefully the new DB acquisitions will as well.

It would be hard to imagine the offense actually improving over last year, but pass blocking remains a question mark. I'm not sure what to think about Nick Kaczur after his undercover Fed mole/possible pain-killer addict big offseason adventure, so right tackle has to be the main concern along with finding a TE that can help block on the edges now that Kyle Brady is gone.

I suppose if Kaczur struggles and we go with the status quo at TE then blitz protection could be a real concern and job one is to keep the franchise in the upright position at all times.

I'm hoping the coaching of Dom Capers and some fresh blood in the backfield helps the coverage a bit, although we played an awful lot of prevent last year. When we needed a stop we seldom seemed to get one and I understand that BB was quite unsatisfied, hence the coaching change.

Always something to worry about, but I'll quit there.

I have faith that BB will piece together a better than average defensive backfield, despite all of our uncertainty. He always seems to get it done on D.

But the Giants totally exposed the Pats O-line in the SB. Was this an anomoly or a sign of things to come? Will other teams use the game tape (*gasp*) to mimick what the Giants did? Or did our offensive line, which was fantastic for most of last season just lay and egg and take the SB off?

The OL worries me.

I have faith that BB will piece together a better than average defensive backfield, despite all of our uncertainty. He always seems to get it done on D.

But the Giants totally exposed the Pats O-line in the SB. Was this an anomoly or a sign of things to come? Will other teams use the game tape (*gasp*) to mimick what the Giants did? Or did our offensive line, which was fantastic for most of last season just lay and egg and take the SB off?

The OL worries me.

The Giants are on of the very few teams that have DE's big enough that can also play inside in a 4-3. Their quickness and speed was the problem with our OL.

A pound it out running game can negate that quickness and speed.

I think it's a very good question.

I could be wrong here, but I have a vague memory of the Pats punt and/or kickoff coverage teams giving up too many yards. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So I'll say the special-teams coverage play needs to improve

It would be hard to imagine the offense actually improving over last year, but pass blocking remains a question mark.

Here's how the offense progressed last season: total points by game:

38, 38, 38, 34, 34, 48, 49, 52, 24, 56, 31, 27, 34, 20, 28, 38.

Playoffs: 31, 21, 14.

They didn't fall under 34PPG in the first 8. In the last 8 they fell under 34PPG five times, and hit 34 exactly once.

In the playoffs, the total PPG went downhill until finally... The Game That Shall Not Be Mentioned.

Pass blocking? Injuries? People getting used to Moss being on the Patriots? :shrug: Something definitely didn't go as good in the second half as it did in the first half.

I would like to see more from the running game. Hopefully Sammy Morris can come back for a full season. It will be interesting to see what happens with the WR corps with Donte Stallworth moving on as well.

One thing that great about being a Patriots fan during this era is that we can talk about these things, instead of asking 'will we be a playoff team this year".

I think there needs to be improvement at kicker. No sarcasm intended here, but I think that the Ghost needs to improve his game, not so much his kicking as he was pretty decent all year, but more so in the confidence BB has in him. I need not remind anyone here of a 48-yarder in a dome that was not attempted. He has the leg and the accuracy. He just needs the BB seal of approval. He apparently is the man for the job as he is one of only three Patriots not competing for a job this year (FYI Brady isn't one of them.) Granted, the Ghost spent all last year kicking extra points and booming kickoffs instead of cranking out field goals and had to work with 4 different holders, he needs to up his game.

I think there needs to be improvement at kicker. No sarcasm intended here, but I think that the Ghost needs to improve his game, not so much his kicking as he was pretty decent all year, but more so in the confidence BB has in him. I need not remind anyone here of a 48-yarder in a dome that was not attempted. He has the leg and the accuracy. He just needs the BB seal of approval. He apparently is the man for the job as he is one of only three Patriots not competing for a job this year (FYI Brady isn't one of them.) Granted, the Ghost spent all last year kicking extra points and booming kickoffs instead of cranking out field goals and had to work with 4 different holders, he needs to up his game.

true
we need more stability there
and BB needs more faith in it

OOOOOHHHHHHHH I LOVE THIS THREAD! Thanks PP!

SOme great points made so far.

In my eyes the O line was awesome until the last few games especially the last one. I think that the G-Men exposed them but I agree in that they are one of the few teams capapble of such things.

Corner is a HUGE concern for me. Hobbs...number one? Shut down corner? I hope so.

With Samuel gone that is a huge gaping hole. As was pointed out BB makes those holes go away...let's hope he can pull this off. Obviously if the front seven can get consistent pressure on the opposing QBs then it takes a lot off of the D-backs...remember the days when the front seven created opportunities for each other?

The kicking game is fine, but a little more confidence would be nice. Let him kiack more long ones early in the season to gain self confidence and to gain Bill's as well.

Wow a totally football thread with insightful thoughts...thanks guys I neeeded this one.

OOOOOHHHHHHHH I LOVE THIS THREAD! Thanks PP!

SOme great points made so far.

In my eyes the O line was awesome until the last few games especially the last one. I think that the G-Men exposed them but I agree in that they are one of the few teams capapble of such things.

Corner is a HUGE concern for me. Hobbs...number one? Shut down corner? I hope so.

With Samuel gone that is a huge gaping hole. As was pointed out BB makes those holes go away...let's hope he can pull this off. Obviously if the front seven can get consistent pressure on the opposing QBs then it takes a lot off of the D-backs...remember the days when the front seven created opportunities for each other?

The kicking game is fine, but a little more confidence would be nice. Let him kiack more long ones early in the season to gain self confidence and to gain Bill's as well.

Wow a totally football thread with insightful thoughts...thanks guys I neeeded this one.

mmake the most of it, last one for a while!

the answer is simple LT and RT tackle. that was the main problem in the SB. matt light is a good Tackle but he sucks against great speed rushers namely freeney. I not a fan of nick kazur he ok to descent. that and the CB play was the main weekness or last year playoffs.

I read something that O found interesting about the Pats defense that may not come into play as much this year IF the young Linebackers contribute. I forgot where I read this, but the jist of it was that the Pats LBs and defense in general did great on 7 play or shorter drives by the offense. But, if an offense was capable of keeping the Pats on the field for longer drives, the LBs tired out and the defense got weaker.

So for me, I hope the schemes improve this year. I want to see the offense control the clock, run more, and keep our defense off the field. Then on defense, I hope we gamble more early in drives and force the issue to get the offense back out on the field.

I read something that O found interesting about the Pats defense that may not come into play as much this year IF the young Linebackers contribute. I forgot where I read this, but the jist of it was that the Pats LBs and defense in general did great on 7 play or shorter drives by the offense. But, if an offense was capable of keeping the Pats on the field for longer drives, the LBs tired out and the defense got weaker.

So for me, I hope the schemes improve this year. I want to see the offense control the clock, run more, and keep our defense off the field. Then on defense, I hope we gamble more early in drives and force the issue to get the offense back out on the field.

I believe any defense kept on the field will gradually tire, more so on extended drives. As far as the schemes go, Capers will throw in his 4 cents and the D as a whole will be better because of it. Two top-tier defensive coaches working together...I can't wait!woohoo

Come on folks. This is a totally football related thread that has a great start to it. DOn't let it die....let's hear what you Pats fans thnk...hell I even appreciate the non-Pats fans thoughts...

1. DBs
2. LBs
3. Offensive line
4. Field goal consistency
5. Running game consistency
6. Pressure on opposing QBs
7. 4th and 13 calls

The OL worries me.

Pook, stop worrying.

What I believe happened was the Giants have just put together a monster DL rotation and they all jelled at just the right time. Everyone know about Strahan and Osi, but not many knew about Tuck, Fred Robbins and Jay Alford. Tuck is a freak and the other guys are solid.

Nobody else could dismantle us like that because nobody else has that kind of ability right now. Strahan is retired, so even the Giants aren't likely to be as good, but it was just the stars aligning at exactly the right time for them, imo along with some really good players.

The Oline should be fine, other than a ? at RT.

Back