My first Comic Con experience

Alk

Reaction score
Have any you ever been to one of these? We went to our first one last weekend. Our whole family loves Stranger Things but our youngest son has a huge crush on Millie Bobby Brown who plays Eleven. It just so happens that she was going to be at the Comic Con in Denver so we decided that we would check it out. It was a three day event and she was originally booked for Saturday and Sunday only. We bought our tickets for Saturday and then she cancelled for Sunday due to filming. I started to panic a little bit at that point but it all ended up working out.

We picked up our passes on Friday night when we got into town. We knew we were getting close when I saw Darth Vader walking down the street. When we got there, it was complete chaos. I dropped my wife off at the door so she could get the passes and proceeded to circle the block. We got our passes and headed to the hotel for the night.

The doors opened at 10:00 the next morning so I decided that we should get there at 9:00 so we could find a decent parking spot. We were able to get a good spot about two blocks away for $40. As we walked up to the convention center I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Two lines that both wrapped around two sides of the convention center. As we were walking to the end of the line, our son had already found the Flash and wasn't shy about asking for a selfie with him. As soon as we got to the end of the line we found that we were right behind some guy dressed up as Deadpool riding a unicorn. That definitely helped kill time because the guy was an absolute riot.

10:00 rolls around and the line still hasn't even begun to move. It was close to 11:00 before we finally got inside. I couldn't believe it when we got inside. This convention center was huge with three stories and it was absolutely full. Every conference room had some sort of panel going on in it. We immediately got pulled into one of the rooms which turned out to be some kind of trivia thing where they gave out prizes for answering questions. When that was over we just started walking around and checking things out. The time finally arrived to go do the photo op with Millie Bobby Brown. My older son really didn't want to be in the picture and I thought it would be kind of creepy for a 41 year old man to be in the picture (I soon found out that I wouldn't have been the only one) so we decided that we would just let our youngest son be in the picture. As soon as we went behind the curtains it was like they were herding cattle. They just rush people up to her, take the picture and she was literally pushing them away to get them moving along. I was amazed that my son was able to get a good picture with her.

Later on they had a panel with her. It was supposed to start at 3:00 so we decided to get there at 2:00 just to be on the safe side. There was already about 1,000 people in front of us. I was beginning to think that there was no way that we would be able to get a seat. When they finally opened the doors we got in as fast as we could and to our surprise the theater was enormous. We easily got a seat fairly close to the stage even.

The only thing my wife was really excited about was that Ryan Hurst who played Opie in Sons of Anarchy was going to be there. I tried and tried to talk her into doing the photo op but she refused. His panel started in a different room about 15 minutes before Millie Bobby Brown's panel ended. We decided that we would pop over there and see if we could catch the tail end. When we walked in, the room wasn't even half full so we got really good seats. They were just starting the Q&A part so my wife was able to ask him a question and got a pretty hilarious answer so her day was made.

After about 8 hours we had all had it. I really have no idea how anyone could survive three days of that especially in costume.

Anyone else out there have any comic con war stories?

19657321_10154604130367401_1111461654556223921_n.jpg

So the first time I went to comic-con it turns out that the convention center also happened to book some kind of pre-teen cheerleading something or other next to where comic-con was going on.

So we're walking around and see all the people in costumes having a good time. Next thing I know we're surrounded by 10 year olds in cheer leading costumes which I assume was somehow a part of comic-con and got SUPER uncomfortable.

Yeah I was super baked when this happened. Don't judge.

Then on the way out the elevator up to the parking garage gets stuck. So it's me and my two friends and a soccer mom and her daughter in full cheerleading get up (the daughter, not the mom :sulk: ) daughter quickly realized we're stuck in the elevator, panics, and starts crying and doesn't stop until we get out (like 25 minutes later).

Never been to comic-con but Otakon takes place every year at the Baltimore Convention center. I worked across the street from that building for many years and got to witness it in all it's costumed splendor. Let's just say it wouldn't have been a good environment for RG to be in...poor old perv's pace maker would have exploded over some of those young ladies in those costumes...

I have been to several.

I think 3 in Boston and 1 in Manchvegas.

Not that I knew anything about comics, was never a comic guy - I know what the average movie goer does, but one of the kids really wanted to go as she was an aspiring artist.

The crowds are mental, but there is some fantastic non-mainstream art to be found, and some very interesting people. I think I had the most fun just sitting outside the venue with an ice coffee people watching.

Never been to comic-con but Otakon takes place every year at the Baltimore Convention center. I worked across the street from that building for many years and got to witness it in all it's costumed splendor. Let's just say it wouldn't have been a good environment for RG to be in...poor old perv's pace maker would have exploded over some of those young ladies in those costumes...

My cousin lives in Baltimore. She, her husband and oldest daughter go to that one. Some of the pictures she posts makes me agree with your RG comment.

The thing that blew me away is what everything costs. I think it was close to $50 per person just for the day just to get in. Then everything costs money. I think we paid like $80 just for that picture with Millie Bobby Brown. They had two different options. The photo op or the autograph line. The autograph line was cheaper but then if you want to take a picture with them while you are there it would cost you up to another $20. I just couldn't imagine being that famous and making that kind of money and then telling some average joe that you're going to need another $20 for them to get a picture taken with you.

Carrie Fisher was charging $50 for an autograph when I was there and she wasn't even a real Jedi.

Carrie Fisher was charging $50 for an autograph when I was there and she wasn't even a real Jedi.

The craziest one that I saw was John Cusack. $80 for an autograph. $100 for a professional photo. I saw a dude walking all over the convention center holding a radio over his head and thought to myself. THAT'S why he's charging $100. ROFL

We do a good one here in Rhode Island but it's getting way too popular and crowded. Still, though, it attracts some good star power. Even though they don't like you to take (free) pictures, sometimes you can sneak a distant shot. And I prefer second-tier celebrities whose pics/autographs I can afford; I bypass the big-name people who I'm usually not interested in, in favor of a pic with a Gil Gerard ("Buck Rogers in the 25th Century") or Nicholas Brendan (Xander in "Buffy").

Also, the cons are fairly specific as to your interests. For example, the Boston Comic-Con (which is RIDICULOUSLY crowded) is more geared towards comic book artists. If you want to meet your favorite comic book artist, that's the place to go, but you won't find as many TV or movie stars as you would in Rhode Island.

Been to several. My son and I always have fun. We've dressed up a few times too.

Largest crowd I've seen for autograph/pictures was for William Shatner. Friggin huge. The Winter Solider dude had a massive crowd too.

I like the smaller cons because all the cosplayers enjoy getting their picture taken with ya and not changing anything. That's not the case in places like San Diego. Sheesh.

Going to some speaker panels helps break up a long day and slows the hemorrhage of money.

Favorite actor met would be Michael Rooker. Very cool dude. Weve paid for the meet & greet and picture a couple of times now.

My son is a shy kid so when a stranger recognizes his cosplay and wants a picture with him it's very rewarding (especially when it's a girl!).

Glad you guys had fun.

Accidentally went to a "Furcon".

Hockey tourney overflow hotel that had a "Furcon" thingy going on. Had to hide the kids as this was super unreal. People in animal costumes "walking" other people in ani, al costumes around the hotel with leashes. It got worse from there....

Accidentally went to a "Furcon".

Hockey tourney overflow hotel that had a "Furcon" thingy going on. Had to hide the kids as this was super unreal. People in animal costumes "walking" other people in ani, al costumes around the hotel with leashes. It got worse from there....

Plushies and Furries! Check out the "Fur And Loathing" episode of the original "C.S.I." 😳

Have any you ever been to one of these? We went to our first one last weekend. Our whole family loves Stranger Things but our youngest son has a huge crush on Millie Bobby Brown who plays Eleven. It just so happens that she was going to be at the Comic Con in Denver so we decided that we would check it out. It was a three day event and she was originally booked for Saturday and Sunday only. We bought our tickets for Saturday and then she cancelled for Sunday due to filming. I started to panic a little bit at that point but it all ended up working out.

We picked up our passes on Friday night when we got into town. We knew we were getting close when I saw Darth Vader walking down the street. When we got there, it was complete chaos. I dropped my wife off at the door so she could get the passes and proceeded to circle the block. We got our passes and headed to the hotel for the night.

The doors opened at 10:00 the next morning so I decided that we should get there at 9:00 so we could find a decent parking spot. We were able to get a good spot about two blocks away for $40. As we walked up to the convention center I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Two lines that both wrapped around two sides of the convention center. As we were walking to the end of the line, our son had already found the Flash and wasn't shy about asking for a selfie with him. As soon as we got to the end of the line we found that we were right behind some guy dressed up as Deadpool riding a unicorn. That definitely helped kill time because the guy was an absolute riot.

10:00 rolls around and the line still hasn't even begun to move. It was close to 11:00 before we finally got inside. I couldn't believe it when we got inside. This convention center was huge with three stories and it was absolutely full. Every conference room had some sort of panel going on in it. We immediately got pulled into one of the rooms which turned out to be some kind of trivia thing where they gave out prizes for answering questions. When that was over we just started walking around and checking things out. The time finally arrived to go do the photo op with Millie Bobby Brown. My older son really didn't want to be in the picture and I thought it would be kind of creepy for a 41 year old man to be in the picture (I soon found out that I wouldn't have been the only one) so we decided that we would just let our youngest son be in the picture. As soon as we went behind the curtains it was like they were herding cattle. They just rush people up to her, take the picture and she was literally pushing them away to get them moving along. I was amazed that my son was able to get a good picture with her.

Later on they had a panel with her. It was supposed to start at 3:00 so we decided to get there at 2:00 just to be on the safe side. There was already about 1,000 people in front of us. I was beginning to think that there was no way that we would be able to get a seat. When they finally opened the doors we got in as fast as we could and to our surprise the theater was enormous. We easily got a seat fairly close to the stage even.

The only thing my wife was really excited about was that Ryan Hurst who played Opie in Sons of Anarchy was going to be there. I tried and tried to talk her into doing the photo op but she refused. His panel started in a different room about 15 minutes before Millie Bobby Brown's panel ended. We decided that we would pop over there and see if we could catch the tail end. When we walked in, the room wasn't even half full so we got really good seats. They were just starting the Q&A part so my wife was able to ask him a question and got a pretty hilarious answer so her day was made.

After about 8 hours we had all had it. I really have no idea how anyone could survive three days of that especially in costume.

Anyone else out there have any comic con war stories?

19657321_10154604130367401_1111461654556223921_n.jpg

Alk - is the pick with Millie Bobbu Brown in that collage? I'm picturing her from Stranger Things so not sure what she looked like there.

Alk - is the pick with Millie Bobbu Brown in that collage? I'm picturing her from Stranger Things so not sure what she looked like there.

Yes, she is in the lower left hand corner. She looks a lot different with hair. She was making a funny face so that didn't help either.

Back