New England Patriots select QB J. Brissett of North Carolina State. Straight Parcells

If you want to like this guys, don't watch his game against Clemson from 2014. 4/18 for 35 passing yards...

Charlie Weis was Flordia's offense coordinator when Brissett signed with the Gators. But Weis only coached for one season at Florida. He became Kansas' headcoach after Brissett's freshman year.

Urban Meyer didn't really recruit Brissett according to Brissett's mother. He never came and visited Brissett and wanted him to grayshirt which basically means that the player signs with the school, but has to delay his enrollment for one semester because the school doesn't have enough open scholarships. He's part of the recruiting class, but doesn't count against the scholarship numbers of the same season.

If Meyer didn't really want him (Jeff Driskel was his guy in 2011), maybe not all hope is lost :coffee:

Pats pretty much take a QB every other year. This is no surprise.

When it's this high it's no flier though

Mallett was third round. You have to have another QB in development behind Jimmy who is the projected starter when Brady retires.

Mallett was third round. You have to have another QB in development behind Jimmy who is the projected starter when Brady retires.

Agree. But a 3rd is generally not the spot they tap for a long term project.

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Kevin O'Connell was a 3rd round pick as well.

We're talking backup to the backup here.

A 3rd is a much costlier option.

Agree. But a 3rd is generally not the spot they tap for a long term project.

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

We're talking backup to the backup here.

A 3rd is a much costlier option.
O'Connell was the backup of the backup. Patriots opened the season with Brady, Cassel und O'Connell on the roster in '08.

You guys are being a bit harsh on Brissett I think.
I've seen plenty of scouting reports that have him scored equal to Paxton Lynch and way ahead of Connor Cook, Jake Rudock and Kevin Hogan.

BB didn't draft him bc of his mobility. Brissett was drafted bc of his winning attributes: pre-snap reads, patience in the pocket, pocket presence, coolness under pressure, good decisions when the play breaks down, improv ability, excellent intermediate and good long accuracy, winning attitude and enough arm strength. His deep accuracy is very good up to about 50 yds and his touch on short to intermediate balls is really good. He's pinpoint on the run with power up to 25 yds. There's a lot to work with here.

Watch this video of him playing against 3rd ranked Clemson last year & you'll see plenty of high quality play. I think he has 2nd contract starter ability especially if the coaches can get him to use better footwork to get him through his progressions quicker (but that's no different than Carson Wentz).

<iframe width="746" height="453" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ecqTJjq09j0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DraftBreakdown thinks enough of this guy to have 16 full game videos devoted to him. Here's their analysis of him
Senior QB from North Carolina St used in a run-heavy scheme that includes QB runs and with a below average WR corps. Good height with a thick build with good athletic ability, showing good quickness and burst as a runner. Displays solid mechanics in his set-up and footwork in the pocket. He makes very good decisions with the football especially on half-field and single-man reads, rarely forcing balls into coverage. Displays good situational awareness. Good poise in the pocket, identifying and delivering the ball to the correct target even vs. free rushers.
He is very judicious with the ball, and does not make game-changing mistakes and is willing to throw the ball away. Shows good accuracy in the quick passing game and when on the move especially to the short areas of the field. He displays good release quickness and can deliver the ball with solid velocity over the middle. Very good at extending plays, showing the ability to slide within the pocket and the athletic ability to escape and keep his eyes downfield. Very good play strength and can shed DL in the pocket. He is an effective runner with good burst and the strength to run through arm tackles and finish runs falling forward. Has limited pre-snap responsibilities in current offensive scheme regarding audibles and protections. Does not have the ability to translate pre-snap looks into his post-snap decision making. As a result, he is slow to read out progressions, especially full field concepts. Lack of arm strength leads to struggles with velocity on longer throws toward the sideline, especially Outs and Comebacks. Does not have the combination of arm strength and accuracy to throw targets open vs. tight Man. Overall, he is a big, strong QB who makes safe decisions with the ball but is limited in how much he can stretch the field. Best fits in a scheme that will ask him to get the ball out quickly and give him simple reads. http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jacoby-brissett/#player-report

Seems like someone BB would like.

O'Connell was the backup of the backup. Patriots opened the season with Brady, Cassel und O'Connell on the roster in '08.

True. But at that time OConnel had done dick in college, had yet to prove he could even take a snap in the pros, and was a very late pick himself. IMO the writing was on the wall they were making a significant upgrade attempt to the backup with OConnel in the 3rd.

Then Brady goes down, OConnel proves his value, and the plan changes a bit.

True. But at that time OConnel had done dick in college, had yet to prove he could even take a snap in the pros, and was a very late pick himself. IMO the writing was on the wall they were making a significant upgrade attempt to the backup with OConnel in the 3rd.

Then Brady goes down, OConnel proves his value, and the plan changes a bit.
You're talking about Cassel, right?

I've seen plenty of scouting reports that have him scored equal to Paxton Lynch and way ahead of Connor Cook, Jake Rudock and Kevin Hogan.

BB didn't draft him bc of his mobility. Brissett was drafted bc of his winning attributes: pre-snap reads, patience in the pocket, pocket presence, coolness under pressure, good decisions when the play breaks down, improv ability, excellent intermediate and good long accuracy, winning attitude and enough arm strength. His deep accuracy is very good up to about 50 yds and his touch on short to intermediate balls is really good. He's pinpoint on the run with power up to 25 yds. There's a lot to work with here.

Watch this video of him playing against 3rd ranked Clemson last year & you'll see plenty of high quality play. I think he has 2nd contract starter ability especially if the coaches can get him to use better footwork to get him through his progressions quicker (but that's no different than Carson Wentz).

<iframe width="746" height="453" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ecqTJjq09j0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DraftBreakdown thinks enough of this guy to have 16 full game videos devoted to him. Here's their analysis of him

I don't consider it being harsh. It's just how much time do you consider TB having? Where does Garop fit? And now you HAVE to allocate a roster spot. Versus a 6th-7th you have a much better shot at shuttling to the PS for long term development.

He played a good game against Clemson last year. Huge improvement over 2014...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WfeuR5xuVxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My biggest takeaway from that game: He's used to playing behind a shitty offensive line...

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WfeuR5xuVxY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

My biggest takeaway from that game: He's used to playing behind a shitty offensive line...

That and he made the most of what he had to deal with. Impressive poise under pressure. Give him 3 years to develop and hope JG plays well to start the season (if he has to).

I am not sure I would call what the patriots do.."simple reads"

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

That and he made the most of what he had to deal with. Impressive poise under pressure. Give him 3 years to develop and hope JG plays well to start the season (if he has to).

bad part is, one of the guys protecting him, we also took in this draft. :huh:

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WfeuR5xuVxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You mean the guard we took in the same round this year?

Back