New England Patriots select QB J. Brissett of North Carolina State. Straight Parcells

So Parcells watched him play HS ball near Jupiter.

Weiss had him for a single season @ Florida where I'm not sure he even played.

I don't necessarily mind the pick. It's the slot for him. I cannot grasp Bills propensity for taking guys about 100-150 spots prematurely. CBS rankings have this kid at 213, 3 spots ahead of lil Gronk - undrafted. I know that's not the bible, but. He could've been had with a 6. Maybe even 7.

I'll never understand it. And yet it's happened in so many recent drafts. We're basically just giving away a mid 2nd to 4th rounder with this philosophy.

It's Bill's ego at play.

So Parcells watched him play HS ball near Jupiter.

Weiss had him for a single season @ Florida where I'm not sure he even played.

I don't necessarily mind the pick. It's the slot for him. I cannot grasp Bills propensity for taking guys about 100-150 spots prematurely. CBS rankings have this kid at 213, 3 spots ahead of lil Gronk - undrafted. I know that's not the bible, but. He could've been had with a 6. Maybe even 7.

I'll never understand it. And yet it's happened in so many recent drafts. We're basically just giving away a mid 2nd to 4th rounder with this philosophy.

Don't you think BB had this kid targeted for 1 reason or another (Parcells' recommendation, perhaps) and simply didn't want to take a chance on missing out on him? I wonder how many times BB has waited until the 'correct' round only to see a guy taken beforehand? (Emmanuel Sanders) Lesson learned. Better to draft him early than to miss out on him entirely.

I don't mind the pick at the position of the draft after watching many of the videos of the kid at draftcountdown.com. To me he's the equal of Goff, Wentz and Lynch in the fundamentals of the QB position and far better than Wentz and Lynch in the "decisions under pressure" and "poise" categories. He's a good fit for any short to intermediate passing game. All it takes is 1 west coast offensive team to see his value to them and 'poof!', he's gone.

Network Expert Caveat: Just because Kiper or Mayock or the NFL Network have determined a player's projected round to be picked doesn't mean Blesto, National and especially Belichick Scouting agree with them. Something to remember.

Network Expert Caveat: Just because Kiper or Mayock or the NFL Network have determined a player's projected round to be picked doesn't mean Blesto, National and especially Belichick Scouting agree with them. Something to remember.
I could not agree more, just because the national Draft guru's say he should be picked in round X means poop. IF the were so freaking good they would have a job as a GM in the NFL, not working one weekend a year and being wrong 96% of the time.

and yes it is better to pick a little early, than to miss out completely by one pick on someone The BB Group feels is a player.

Don't you think BB had this kid targeted for 1 reason or another (Parcells' recommendation, perhaps) and simply didn't want to take a chance on missing out on him? I wonder how many times BB has waited until the 'correct' round only to see a guy taken beforehand? (Emmanuel Sanders) Lesson learned. Better to draft him early than to miss out on him entirely.

I don't mind the pick at the position of the draft after watching many of the videos of the kid at draftcountdown.com. To me he's the equal of Goff, Wentz and Lynch in the fundamentals of the QB position and far better than Wentz and Lynch in the "decisions under pressure" and "poise" categories. He's a good fit for any short to intermediate passing game. All it takes is 1 west coast offensive team to see his value to them and 'poof!', he's gone.

Put the Kool Aid down before it spills.

Point out one that has popped in the last 5-10 years that was severely over drafted per almost all ranking sources.

Point out one that has popped in the last 5-10 years that was severely over drafted per almost all ranking sources.

I'm not drinking Kool Aid. I'm just considering BB's influencers, tendencies and lessons learned. He wanted the guy...simple as that. Plus, perhaps I like the kid more than you do.

If BB wanted Reynolds, then there is an example of drafting early instead of losing out.

That, or, he was playing smoke and mirrors...

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

I'd hardly consider McCourty this type of reach.

Mock drafts and predicting what BB will do...futile. He duz wut he duz...

I'm not drinking Kool Aid. I'm just considering BB's influencers, tendencies and lessons learned. He wanted the guy...simple as that. Plus, perhaps I like the kid more than you do.

I agree.

But that's not really the discussion topic I thought.

I thought we were talking about how well a player drafted about 100-150 spots ahead of where he was almost universally been projected performed.

Have we had one of these "reaches" justify the over-drafting of them?

Not arguing. Trying to actually discuss it and see if I'm missing someone.

Seems to me instead of taking a player 4-5 rounds earlier than projected we could go 2-3 and still get 2 or 3 much higher rated prospects.

I'd hardly consider McCourty this type of reach.
if you go back to when he was selected it was a HUGE reach that quickly turned into a player, same with Mankins

plus the long snapper last year and several other special teams players (Ebner and Slater) that are huge in the success of the team. Something few other teams do is have 3 guys that are not the Kicker, punter, snapper trio on the roster just for special teams.

if you go back to when he was selected it was a HUGE reach that quickly turned into a player, same with Mankins

plus the long snapper last year and several other special teams players (Ebner and Slater) that are huge in the success of the team. Something few other teams do is have 3 guys that are not the Kicker, punter, snapper trio on the roster just for special teams.

Both McCourty and Mankins names were familiar in their perspective drafts. Maybe not projected in Round 1, but expected off the board before 2 ended.
Not drastic reached.

Slater was a 5. Anything goes then. Perfect spot to grab your binkie, no matter how rated. And Ebner a 6. Anything goes there.

Stephen Gostkowski
(most thought BB stoopid to take a kicker in the 4th round)

Harmon is another one. Taken in third round. He has worked out pretty good.

and yes it is better to pick a little early, than to miss out completely by one pick on someone The BB Group feels is a player.

Caserio on Sirius XM said this on Brissett (via Mike Reiss):
The Patriots like to see players improve and Caserio noted how the quarterback had 17 fumbles as a junior and “a lot of that is just moving the ball in the pocket.” In his senior season at NC State, Caserio noted that “he cut that down to four”, which is the type of improvement the club wants to see. The Patriots brought Brissett to town before the draft and were “very impressed” as he struck them as “very mature.” “Football is very, very important to him,” Caserio said.

Vollmer, a guy who wasn't even invited to the combine and wasn't even a consideration for UDFA by the 'experts'?

Who decides what over-drafted is? How do you know when a pick i
has over-drafted, other than Mel Kiper says so? All those experts go by stats and measurables, and how players did their last game. Stock goes way up if a guy does well in the senior bowl and down if he has a bad game. Does that make any sense at all? Players go up and down the draft board for months after all the games are played. That makes no sense, either.

And how do you know when a pick will be 7th round or third round? What if 31 teams wanted X player who should have been a seventh round pick, and they decided to over-draft him in the fifth round. A couple of GMs were smart enough to guess that and decided to make sure they got him in the fourth. They all would be SOL if someone drafted him in the third, and the guy who was smart enough to get the guy he wanted is ridiculed as over-drafting. smh

If someone selected Malcom Butler in the second round, would that be called overdrafted when the pick was made?

The only system that makes sense to me is rate players by how much impact they will have on your team, the draft the guy you think will make the biggest impact on you team at that pick. If no one on your board has what you consider third round value based on what he can do FOR YOUR TEAM, then trade down.

But if you think a guy has second round value TO YOUR TEAM, and it is the third round, then why wait and hope he'll be available in the 7th? That makes zero sense to me. If I think the guy will have an impact on my team, why the hell would I care what other teams think. It only takes one team to be thinking like me and the guy I want is gone.

I suppose maybe other coaches/GMs draft with an eye to how others might evaluate a player, but how many superbowls have they won do to their system. BB won several and went to others by "wasting yet another pick." I don't see that as drinking Kool AId, but as looking at long term results of a process.

This rant isn't directed at you, honestly. I'm just sick of all the draft grades out there, where a team is graded based on how well they followed the writers mock draft.

Both McCourty and Mankins names were familiar in their perspective drafts. Maybe not projected in Round 1, but expected off the board before 2 ended.
Not drastic reached.

Slater was a 5. Anything goes then. Perfect spot to grab your binkie, no matter how rated. And Ebner a 6. Anything goes there.
Revisionist mentality, both Mankins and McCourty were a Reach when selected, looking back it doesn't seem like one but the truth is 3rd game of his second season McCourty was a bust. Mankins was a slow tackle who would have to move to play in the NFL.

Slater, Ebner and Cordazza (Sp?) could all have been undrafted free agents but the role Bill saw in them is why they were above other players with better numbers - you can not measure the love of the sport, the will to do your job and do it well and the ability to be coached.

If you question the question to be coached, see the Quote Bishbash placed above this.

Looking from the outside we will never know what it is that bill sees but so far it has been a pretty solid draft process with reaches in the high reward, high risk second and into the third round but then filling roles with later rounds. Bill also seems to search for misplaced players, guys who picked the wrong coach, or the coach left after he arrived and the new coach played him at a position of weakness not strength.

I thought we were talking about how well a player drafted about 100-150 spots ahead of where he was almost universally been projected performed.
Not universally or he wouldn't have been drafted that high. At least one GM had a different opinion than talking heads. Perhaps because the GM conducts interviews and workouts and knows the positions better than Mel Kyper and Todd McShay?

Revisionist mentality, both Mankins and McCourty were a Reach when selected, looking back it doesn't seem like one but the truth is 3rd game of his second season McCourty was a bust. Mankins was a slow tackle who would have to move to play in the NFL.

Slater, Ebner and Cordazza (Sp?) could all have been undrafted free agents but the role Bill saw in them is why they were above other players with better numbers - you can not measure the love of the sport, the will to do your job and do it well and the ability to be coached.

If you question the question to be coached, see the Quote Bishbash placed above this.

Looking from the outside we will never know what it is that bill sees but so far it has been a pretty solid draft process with reaches in the high reward, high risk second and into the third round but then filling roles with later rounds. Bill also seems to search for misplaced players, guys who picked the wrong coach, or the coach left after he arrived and the new coach played him at a position of weakness not strength.

Steven Neal who was a wrestler.

Back