New England Patriots select QB J. Brissett of North Carolina State. Straight Parcells

Vollmer, a guy who wasn't even invited to the combine and wasn't even a consideration for UDFA by the 'experts'?

Who decides what over-drafted is? How do you know when a pick i
has over-drafted, other than Mel Kiper says so? All those experts go by stats and measurables, and how players did their last game. Stock goes way up if a guy does well in the senior bowl and down if he has a bad game. Does that make any sense at all? Players go up and down the draft board for months after all the games are played. That makes no sense, either.

And how do you know when a pick will be 7th round or third round? What if 31 teams wanted X player who should have been a seventh round pick, and they decided to over-draft him in the fifth round. A couple of GMs were smart enough to guess that and decided to make sure they got him in the fourth. They all would be SOL if someone drafted him in the third, and the guy who was smart enough to get the guy he wanted is ridiculed as over-drafting. smh

If someone selected Malcom Butler in the second round, would that be called overdrafted when the pick was made?

The only system that makes sense to me is rate players by how much impact they will have on your team, the draft the guy you think will make the biggest impact on you team at that pick. If no one on your board has what you consider third round value based on what he can do FOR YOUR TEAM, then trade down.

But if you think a guy has second round value TO YOUR TEAM, and it is the third round, then why wait and hope he'll be available in the 7th? That makes zero sense to me. If I think the guy will have an impact on my team, why the hell would I care what other teams think. It only takes one team to be thinking like me and the guy I want is gone.

I suppose maybe other coaches/GMs draft with an eye to how others might evaluate a player, but how many superbowls have they won do to their system. BB won several and went to others by "wasting yet another pick." I don't see that as drinking Kool AId, but as looking at long term results of a process.

This rant isn't directed at you, honestly. I'm just sick of all the draft grades out there, where a team is graded based on how well they followed the writers mock draft.

I get all this. And it's valid and makes sense.

And yet the majority of the other picks not in question tend to fall within the general player rankings, so they sure seem to be on board with other prospect evaluations.

They just seem to stand alone on certain guys.

Like I've said, after late 4 who cares. Anything goes. Wicked crapshoot from there anyways, with UDFAs making the final roster as often as anyone drafted down there.

I'd hardly consider McCourty this type of reach.
He was called a special teams player after the draft, but I think the main point is that BB puts his value on the player and goes with that. I don't think he pays much attention of mock drafts so he doesn't know where a player is supposed to go by general consensus of the media. He has his own value of players on his own big board.

I just think we pay a lot more attention to Kiper and Prisco and draft websites than he does.

Mock drafts are fun, but they aren't a scouting tool for BB.

Why Brissett has a good chance to reverse the trend of some recent Pats QB draftees: Ryan Mallett, Zac Robinson, Kevin O'Connell, Cliff Kingsbury, Cassel and Rohan Davey.

Matt Cassel drafted in the seventh round in 2005 took over for an injured Brady in week one of the 2008 season and brought the Patriots to an 11-5 record. He is the only quarterback on the list who has even had a semblance of a decent career. The Patriots were able to trade Cassell after the 2008 season for a second round draft pick. Ryan Mallett was traded for a conditional seventh-round draft pick. The other quarterbacks were released by the Patriots before their contract expired or not resigned. In all the Patriots drafted quarterbacks do not have the pedigree of the Packers.​
The biggest issue for the Patriots is the draft capital that has been invested since 2008 in quarterbacks. Kevin O’Connell and Mallett were two wasted picks as neither developed. Mallett at least brought back a low-end draft pick. The Patriots could have been better served in 2008 by drafting another player in the third round and then selecting Matt Flynn later in the draft. Likewise, by wasting a draft pick on Mallett in the third round the Patriots missed out on someone who could have impacted their team.​
Why Brissett will buck the trend.​
When former Patriots coaches Bill Parcells and Charlie Weis give ringing endorsements of you as a player and person that’s a good place to start. Unlike Jimmy Garoppolo, Brissett played in a pro style offense at NC State and actually had a playbook. Unlike Ryan Mallett, Brissett isn’t a head case and is more than just a big arm. In fact, Brissett needs to grow into his arm, he already has great accuracy in the short and intermediate throws. Unlike Zac Robinson, Brissett will be given a chance as a third round draft pick to learn the system for a few years. Unlike Kevin O’Connell, Brisset comes from a program that played against top quality colleges. Unlike Kliff Kingsbury and Rohan Davey, Brissett has a more natural pedigree as a quarterback and is a student of the game. Finally, unlike Cassel, Brissett actually played in college. Brissett will sign a four-year contract with the Patriots and for the foreseeable future is a developmental quarterback.​
Best case scenario for the Patriots.​
The best case scenario in the event that Brady’s suspension is carried through is Jimmy Garoppolo playing well enough in his stint as the starter to at the very least receive a second round draft pick in the 2017 NFL draft.
http://espnnhradio.com/is-jacoby-br...r-another-quarteback-bust-for-bill-belichick/

Interesting, but not quite ready to give up on Garrops or crown Brissett's ass. :LOL:

Cheers, BostonTim

Very smart move. Let's see how he preforms in TC & PS. Before there any talk about him. Taking over when brady retires .

Interesting, but not quite ready to give up on Garrops or crown Brissett's ass. :LOL:

Cheers, BostonTim

I think what the author is saying is that Brissett may actually give the Pats a good ROI, unlike the other QBs BB has drafted. Personally, I believe TB12's replacement will be a freshman in college this coming year.

The Pats-Brissett connection began in 2011 with a phone call from Tom Brady to Brissett's mother.

To help seal the deal, Weis had one of his star pupils call Brissett’s mother to vouch for Weis and his coaching ability.
“He was like, ‘Let me let you talk to the best quarterback in the NFL,’ ” said Lisa Brown, a special needs teacher and nursing home aide. “So I had the opportunity to speak to Tom Brady. It was very exciting. He was just telling me that Charlie Weis is a very good person, and my son would be in good hands.”

===============
Florida used a pared-down version of the same playbook the Patriots have used for 16 years. Weis said the verbiage was the same they use in New England.
“It wasn’t all of the playbook, since you don’t have the time to put it all in, but it was the same system,” Weis said. “Same formations and plays, exactly what he learned as a freshman. It will come back to him real quick.”
=================

Brissett is more of a classic drop-back passer, taking snaps under center as well as shotgun at Dwyer and North Carolina State. Though he completed only about 60 percent of his passes in two years, his coaches rave about his accuracy, and, most notably, his character.
“He’s a Patriot-type guy,” Weis said. “He’s not a leave-the-pocket quarterback. He’s a true drop-back guy. He’s always around, he’s cerebral, he likes to study and work extra. He fits their system very well.”
“I texted Josh [McDaniels] and I texted Tommy, and told them both that I thought he’d be a great fit and they’ll both like him a lot.”
=========

Parcells laid out the rules for Brissett. You don’t live in Boston or Providence, you live in Foxborough, near the facility. Find a laundromat. Find a restaurant near your home, introduce yourself, and hopefully they can customize your meals for you.
Who better to prepare Brissett for life as a Patriot under Bill Belichick than Parcells?
“I just tell him what to expect and what to be prepared for, that’s all,” Parcells said. “I don’t know everything, that’s for sure, but I’m very happy because I know he’s going to get good coaching and a good opportunity, and that’s all any player can ask for.”
===========

“You never really know what’s going to happen until the players get under the gun,” Parcells said. “I think he has a good skill level, and he’s very smart, but that doesn’t guarantee success.
“I do think he has some attributes that you can’t see that are going to serve him well, but I don’t know that for a fact. You just have to do your best based on what you’ve seen him do and his commitment and how willing he is to work at it.”
That last part shouldn’t be much of a problem. Brissett and his mother went TV shopping last week so he can watch film at home. Brissett is a prudent spender who has never owned a car, and told his mother that he can catch rides to Gillette Stadium with Joe Thuney, his left tackle at North Carolina State who also was drafted by the Patriots.
“He’s all about football and clean living,” Daniels said. “He’s not a guy that’s going to be doing commercials. He listens to what his coach says, he’s serious, and he’s got the skill set to match all of the personality characteristics. Everybody loves him. He’s such a good kid.”
And Brissett thanks a Hall of Fame coach for putting him in a position to succeed and helping him get adopted into the Patriot family.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/p...connections/kpttZnObDbDahfelbmbRCK/story.html

I think what the author is saying is that Brissett may actually give the Pats a good ROI, unlike the other QBs BB has drafted. Personally, I believe TB12's replacement will be a freshman in college this coming year.

That's true I'm sure. I just like to find opportunities to talk about crowning asses. I'll even stretch for it if necessary. ROFL

Cheers, BostonTim

Why Brissett has a good chance to reverse the trend of some recent Pats QB draftees: Ryan Mallett, Zac Robinson, Kevin O'Connell, Cliff Kingsbury, Cassel and Rohan Davey.

http://espnnhradio.com/is-jacoby-br...r-another-quarteback-bust-for-bill-belichick/
Just a tiny bone to pick on their critique of the Mallett pick. IIRC, the Pats were trying up to the last second to dump that pick altogether, meaning they really didn't have anyone else they valued that much at that slot. So I wouldn't call Mallett a "wasted" pick in the sense of finding someone else they felt would help them at that value.

The Pats-Brissett connection began in 2011 with a phone call from Tom Brady to Brissett's mother.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/p...connections/kpttZnObDbDahfelbmbRCK/story.html

Parcells coached the Jets, Cowboys and held a FO job with Miami after he left the Patriots. He finds and mentors a QB and then directs said QB to Belichick. I wonder what message Parcells is sending to the Jets, Jerry Jones, Miami and their fanbases when he says "I’m very happy because I know he’s going to get good coaching and a good opportunity [in NE], and that’s all any player can ask for”. I think we know.
Nutkick

I don't understand why the Mallet pick was bad either. Just because you have the GOAT on the depth chart in front of him, who wants to take every game and practice snap. That is why he never really got the chance to develop. I thought it was a steal at the time, and was glad to have him as the backup. I like JG even better, but if we traded him to another team and he did squat, I would be even happier. These teams that get our backup QBs are getting untried and untested college players 2 plus years after they have played in a meaningful game. Look at the 1st rounders floating around the league. How many didn't have the 5th year option picked up?

I don't understand why the Mallet pick was bad either. Just because you have the GOAT on the depth chart in front of him, who wants to take every game and practice snap. That is why he never really got the chance to develop. I thought it was a steal at the time, and was glad to have him as the backup. I like JG even better, but if we traded him to another team and he did squat, I would be even happier. These teams that get our backup QBs are getting untried and untested college players 2 plus years after they have played in a meaningful game. Look at the 1st rounders floating around the league. How many didn't have the 5th year option picked up?

they are also getting players who hopefully grasped the mental part of the game and learned how to play QB, to properly read defenses under the GOAT.

Mallett never seemed to grasp the mental part of being a leader based on our limited observations both here and in Houston, I hope he fails in Baltimore more because of my hate of the ravens and their coach than any feeling towards Ryan.

Perspective. Because we got less for him than he cost us. Bad return on the investment.

Jacoby Brissett compared to other draft prospects in terms of measurables:
<iframe src="http://mockdraftable.com/player_embed/6462/selected/graph/" width="500" height="620" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Jacoby Brissett compared to other draft prospects in terms of measurables:
<iframe src="http://mockdraftable.com/player_embed/6462/selected/graph/" scrolling="no" width="500" frameborder="0" height="620"></iframe>
So Brady's plot would look like a dot in the middle??

So Brady's plot would look like a dot in the middle??
Brady' looks like this:
<iframe src="http://mockdraftable.com/player_embed/3376/selected/graph/" width="500" height="620" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Very unathletic, but he's smart and has good height for the position. No data for arm length or hand size available.

Brady' looks like this:
<iframe src="http://mockdraftable.com/player_embed/3376/selected/graph/" scrolling="no" width="500" frameborder="0" height="620"></iframe>

Very unathletic, but he's smart and has good height for the position. No data for arm length or hand size available.

LOL. We could have guessed that chart.

Too bad they don't give wonderlic scores for WRs. I think they should and while they're adding stuff, please include character issues as well as determination to succeed.

Once size, athleticism and ability are met the only thing that matters is 'head' and 'heart' but they matter the most of all.

Back