NFL files pre-argument statement

The fact the NFL appealing to the second circuit could set precedents for the other sports leagues is something I was not aware of. The NFL really is rolling the dice big time here ...

I can see the special commish hot line being very active with the other 3 commissioners giving His Majesty courtesy calls.

I can see the special commish hot line being very active with the other 3 commissioners giving His Majesty courtesy calls.

And Pompous GoodHELL will admonish them for disturbing his peace. He is, after all, Commissioner of the NFL, and all others must abide.

Not to mention someone along they way would have convinced Bettman how much of an asshat he is being to suspend Crosby 25% of the season for an over-curved stick. Mike Trout for a corked bat. Kevin Durant for unapproved sneakers.

The other 3 would not be so full of themselves to fight this in Federal court.

Heard just the very tail end of Dale & Holley with Thornton tonite and Dale was talking about the appeal panel giving much more credence to the appeal verdict filing in the AP case.

Did anyone catch this and have a little more detail?

Up until now I read have every single filing by the parties and the court. Another 200+ pages? I just don't think I can do it. :facepalm:

Cheers, BostonTim

Here's a pretty good summary (it seems to me anyway) with analysis and eventual outcome that can be read in 7 minutes or scanned in 3.

http://stevensonlynch.com/13104-2/

1 year anniversary article from Dan Wetzel. Excellent stuff here for national consumption. I posted a small part of his article.

A year after deflate-gate ballooned, science shows shame of it all

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/1-yea...-science-shows-shame-of-it-all-073316233.html

The most damning rebuke is from Dr. John Leonard, one of numerous professors at MIT who have tackled this case. In a popular YouTube video, the Philadelphia Eagles fan doesn't just blast Exponent's conclusions but shows the flawed methodology that failed to account for how atmospheric pressure impacted the footballs that were measured at halftime. He basically calls them hacks, and when he fixes their mistake, he essentially closes the argument out. In the months-old video he asks Exponent to explain itself. To date, it hasn't. Apparently no one has disagreed with Leonard's findings.
"The Colts' balls were as much out of range as the Patriots' balls," Leonard told a class on the deflate-gate at UNH, according to the Boston Globe. "It's pretty much an open-and-shut case, but somehow [commissioner Roger] Goodell never understood it, and still doesn't to this day."
What Goodell undoubtedly understands is that for regular people, science is confusing. And since special interests have politicized it on certain subjects, a lot of Americans are quick to reject it or doubt it, no matter how absurd doing so is. In this case, the problem with science is it required time, study and patience. Deflate-gate was about winning the news cycle.
A year ago there were rants about how Belichick should be suspended for the Super Bowl and Brady barred from the Hall of Fame. An ESPN analyst actually choked up on the air, it was all just too much. Meanwhile, Brady was asked about the impact on innocent children.
A year later?
The only ones shouting seem to be the scientists.

1 year anniversary article from Dan Wetzel. Excellent stuff here for national consumption. I posted a small part of his article.

A year after deflate-gate ballooned, science shows shame of it all

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/1-yea...-science-shows-shame-of-it-all-073316233.html

I wish he would be allowed to address the court from Kessler & Co and review his findings, pointing out the sham the league took part in.

Then, the panel takes EVERYTHING under review and flips the scales of justice, demanding communications from any and all listed parties.

Let's REALLY get to the bottom of this.

That was a great read. Thanks for posting. Glad Dan decided to write this a year later. Hard to believe it has already been a year and we are back in the champ again.

It almost seems like a good thing the Pats are not at home for the AFC Championship this year. Less chance of manufactured cheating stories.

It almost seems like a good thing the Pats are not at home for the AFC Championship this year. Less chance of manufactured cheating stories.

I am sure there will be something. But not playing the whiny Ravens or loser Colts gives me more hope but not much.

I am sure there will be something. But not playing the whiny Ravens or loser Colts gives me more hope but not much.
If it were really cold out and the Pats intercepted a ball, they could give it to the refs and ask for it to be tested.

You are correct, that is blatantly false. However, it serves two purposes for the NFL:

1. It is stated to further push the NFL's PR campaign against Brady and the Pats. It is there to be quoted by the Bart Hubbach's of the world and further stain the NFL's greatest franchise.

2. It is a trap for Brady's legal team. If they try to argue that in fact the Judge did not agree with the NFL's BS factual finding, then the NFL legal team will say "Ah ha! We got you! You just admitted that the Judge's real basis for his ruling on his disagreement with the factual finding . . . he is not allowed to do that so he has to be reversed." But Kessler is far to smart to fall for this weak shit. He will simply brush this off - - "The NFL again misstates the record. The District Court did not agree with the Commissioner's factual findings, nor did the District Court disagree with the factual findings. The District Court, as required by the law, focused solely on the Commissioner's illegal decision to ignore the CBA, FAA, etc. and instead dispense his own brand of industrial justice"
Or they can say, "The District Court did not rule on the facts of the case, but we agree with the NFL that they should be addressed by the court, and the court rule as to whether the 'facts' provided by the league report are indeed factual. We join with the NFL and request the court to proceed with this."

From Forbes Magazine

One Year Later, Deflategate Represents The Power Of The NFL's Propaganda Machine

one year later, the NFL’s lies still largely trump the truth in every region of the country except New England.
Though NFL attorneys have written a plethora of legal briefs and arguments over the past 12 months, the league still hasn’t proven the Patriots illegally tampered with their footballs during last year’s AFC Championship. Judge Richard Berman nullified Brady’s four-game suspension in early September, citing a lack of precedent for the punishment and an unfair arbitration process. The NFL quickly announced it would appeal Judge Berman’s ruling, and opening arguments for that case, which is solely about the scope of commissioner Roger Goodell’s disciplinary authority, won’t begin until March.
This season, in an apparent effort to learn more about the science of ball deflation, the NFL announced it would test PSI on a random basis. But the league hasn’t released any of this information yet and reportedly is still considering whether to make any of it public. Six days before this year’s AFC Championship, most sports fans are still relaying on misinformation and disputed scientific evidence to frame their opinions on Brady, arguably the greatest quarterback of all-time.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexrei...rative-still-exists/#31c527362be72fe11b3662be

Back