NFL Network Thoughts

grog

Chief Instigation Officer
Reaction score
While watching the Colts be gifted yet again on Thursday night football, I couldn't help but think about how terrible the broadcast was from the NFL network. They are clearly amatuers at producing a quality football telecast.

1. You could feel the chaos that must have been going on in the director's booth. Transitions from one shot to another were scattered and poorly timed. They missed action on the field at times while showing irrelevant happenings on another part of the field. The cuts to and from commercials were harsh. It just looked like a high school production.

2. The announcers were poor. Example: stating that there have already been six or whatever lead changes before the Jags attempted a FG that would NOT have changed who was leading. The got lucky at the end when they called for Wayne to be the next target. They also where pretty good at the jinx talking, saying things like there hasn't been a punt yet right before a series with the first punt. But over all, they were WEAK.

3. It is clear the NFL network will not show replays over missed calls, blown calls, or anything controversial to the product they want to convey. There were more than a few times a replay would have been nice, but they never showed one because it might make the officials look bad.

4. Cameras. Did they use less than most networks. They had bad angles on many shots. Maybe they should consult with BB on this issue ;-)

Overall, I am glad I do not pay for this product. It was shown free here last night since it was a local team, and now I no longer want to buy it. Yes I will miss some games, but that was a poor effort last night. Was that typical for NFL network?

NFLN sucks at broadcasting games, i was bitching the entire time about their camera angles

3. It is clear the NFL network will not show replays over missed calls, blown calls, or anything controversial to the product they want to convey. There were more than a few times a replay would have been nice, but they never showed one because it might make the officials look bad.
That irks the crap out of me. Other networks do it too though. It seems worse this year than ever before. There was one Pats game I think where there were two penalties we just never saw the replay for. NEVER. Idiotic.

That irks the crap out of me. Other networks do it too though. It seems worse this year than ever before. There was one Pats game I think where there were two penalties we just never saw the replay for. NEVER. Idiotic.

My Dad and I noticed this as well. On Thanksgiving (Canadian) we were watching a game between two shit teams (forget who) and there was a penalty called. Forget the penalty, but I think it was holding or something on a decent gain on the ground. Anyway, it was called back and the camera just sat there from the overhead angle while the announcers abruptly stopped talking about the penalty and changed the topic. We never saw a reply and were both sitting there saying, "WTF, are they going to show us what happened?"

:banghead:

There was one tackle against a Jags player that was clearly around his neck and possibly a face mask from the one replay shown. Obviously was not flagged because it would have helped the Colts and no comment from the broadcast booth. Minor league broadcasting and a shock coming from the league.:banghead:

There was one tackle against a Jags player that was clearly around his neck and possibly a face mask from the one replay shown. Obviously was not flagged because it would have helped the Colts and no comment from the broadcast booth. Minor league broadcasting and a shock coming from the league.:banghead:

You're talking about when Joseph Addai made that tackle after the Manning pick. If you know anything about football and the rules, it was clear that that tackle was completely legal. He tackled him by the shoulder pads on the sides, never did he grab the neck or inside the back of the shoulder pads.

Overall, I am glad I do not pay for this product. It was shown free here last night since it was a local team, and now I no longer want to buy it. Yes I will miss some games, but that was a poor effort last night. Was that typical for NFL network?

For me, it's all relative: watch crappy broadcast or watch no broadcast at all. Is a lousy lay worse than no nookie at all? Matter of opinion, I guess.

Since I only ever get to watch Patriots games streaming on line anyway week after week, even crappy announcing/camera angles on a REAL TV SCREEN beats what I am stuck with on a weekly basis (until the playoffs ...)

You East Coasters are mega spoiled.

:cool:

You're talking about when Joseph Addai made that tackle after the Manning pick. If you know anything about football and the rules, it was clear that that tackle was completely legal. He tackled him by the shoulder pads on the sides, never did he grab the neck or inside the back of the shoulder pads.
Excuse me asshole, I wish that I had seen a clean replay, it looked like the horse collar tackles that have been made illegal and it looked like face mask involvement. As usual the NFL is protecting the colts. By the way, eat a bag of dicks and gfy.:Fart:

It's a bit off topic, but related. Vince Wilfork got flagged for hitting Chad Henne after Henne threw a pick in the last Pats-Miami game. Is the rule that the QB cannot be hit even when he is essentially on defense?

........uhm.

WHAT THE FVCK DO YOU PEOPLE EXPECT ON A TELECAST FEATUING MATT MILLEN OMFGZHEF'INGSUCKZORZDIEINSEVERALDIFFERENTFIRES!

I wish that I had seen a clean replay, it looked like the horse collar tackles that have been made illegal and it looked like face mask involvement.

I thought Addai's tackle started out looking hinky but once he threw the ball carrier down, it looked to me like he brought him down by the shoulder pads.

Of course, that isn't really the point. The point is WE SHOULD HAVE SEEN A REPLAY OR TWO!!!:banghead:

As others have said, it was a problem last night and has been a common theme all year. I would have liked to have seen a reply on that early spot the Colts got for a first down. They rushed the next snap and lost yardage while we were shown a view of Del Rio waiting on a replay so he could decide on throwing the red flag. He never got one and it wouldn't have mattered at that point anyway but at least show us what Del Rio was considering challenging in the first place. At least to let us know if he was right to hold the flag as he did.

It's a bit off topic, but related. Vince Wilfork got flagged for hitting Chad Henne after Henne threw a pick in the last Pats-Miami game. Is the rule that the QB cannot be hit even when he is essentially on defense?

I think the rule goes to hitting a QB who is away from the play. If Henne was trying to make the tackle or in a solid pursuit angle, I believe he's fair game. If he is away from the play and not trying to get involved, it's gloves off.

I believe a version of this rule stands for all players not just QBs. That's why a defender can't blind side an O Lineman, or anyone, way behind the play anymore. I believe the rule change was the result of Warren Sapp's blindside hit on an O lineman, injuring him severely, from the Packers a few years ago.

tNFL will never allow Wilfork to put his hands on a QB for the rest of his career w/o throwing a flag he's such a brutish oalf of a man :Lecture:

a flag was thrown and a $15K fine was issued recently on Vince when he tapped TFB on the shoulder to let him by so he could get to the carving table first in the buffet line at the hotel for the Miami game

true story

tNFL will never allow Wilfork to put his hands on a QB for the rest of his career w/o throwing a flag he's such a brutish oalf of a man

You Brute!, You Brute!, you vicious Brute!!!!!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMK6lzmSk2o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMK6lzmSk2o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

As others have said, it was a problem last night and has been a common theme all year. I would have liked to have seen a reply on that early spot the Colts got for a first down. They rushed the next snap and lost yardage while we were shown a view of Del Rio waiting on a replay so he could decide on throwing the red flag. He never got one and it wouldn't have mattered at that point anyway but at least show us what Del Rio was considering challenging in the first place. At least to let us know if he was right to hold the flag as he did.
I was :cuss: @ tTV watching Manning cleverly running a giddy-up play so they couldn't challenge the incorrect spotting in his favor :banghead:

if you didn't know how clever a QB #18 is, didn't the 2 TV jabberwockies literally use the word not long afterwards during another replay segment :cuss: :Eason:

You Brute!, You Brute!, you vicious Brute!!!!!
that whole dance number/fight break out sequence was like watching last nite's NFL Network broadcast ROFL

that whole dance number/fight break out sequence was like watching last nite's NFL Network broadcast ROFL

Especially at the end when Matt told that intern he was parked over by the commissary!

tNFL will never allow Wilfork to put his hands on a QB for the rest of his career w/o throwing a flag he's such a brutish oalf of a man :Lecture:

a flag was thrown and a $15K fine was issued recently on Vince when he tapped TFB on the shoulder to let him by so he could get to the carving table first in the buffet line at the hotel for the Miami game

true story
Well now we know whose fault "P- Shoulder" is.

Back