NFP: Owners seek double-digit cut in player salaries

It's insane. Already, Suh is being mentioned as a sure-fire prospect. Yeah? Well, so was Ryan Leaf, Robert Gallery, Brian Bosworth, Tony Mandarich, Steve Emtman....

Of course, it is also possible that Suh may turn into a HOFer but it's stupid to put so much money into someone who is unproven.

You know those graduate programs at McKinsey? Where you get invited if you are amongst the best 5% at your business school..

Well, the salary you can end up making is pretty significant, but the first 3 years you better be prepared to work harder than everyone else at a pretty shitty salary.

In the NFL, Vince Wilfork may end up earning less per year than Suh.

Looking down that draft, it seems that the first 3 rounds are not that far apart regarding chances to make it in the NFL...or failure rate if you will...

Which will make this draft so cool with the 3 day format!

<<
The owners will bend on that. It's just part of the negotiation process - start with something outlandish, "concede" some ground, and end up agreeing about where you want to be.
>>

To some extent that's certainly true. However the owners apparently have a strike fund of something like 2 billion built up, while the union has almost nothing and the average dum dum player the same.

The owners are in a very very strong position this time, much more so than the last CBA negotiations.

If they're asking for 18% they probably won't take less than a 10% drop, along with a lot of changes to player discipline and the ability to recover any type of bonus or salary from a holdout. As well as a rookie salary cap.

To some extent that's certainly true. However the owners apparently have a strike fund of something like 2 billion built up, while the union has almost nothing and the average dum dum player the same.

The owners are in a very very strong position this time, much more so than the last CBA negotiations.

If they're asking for 18% they probably won't take less than a 10% drop, along with a lot of changes to player discipline and the ability to recover any type of bonus or salary from a holdout. As well as a rookie salary cap.

Boy, I certainly like the sound of all of that HH - most particularly the final item. Thanks for the info.

<<
I certainly like the sound of all of that HH - most particularly the final item.
>>

Yeah the union has screwed up bigtime. Gene Upshaw for years acted like an uncapped year meant every player would double or triple their salary. They have finally realized that no cap also means no salary floor. Ie; a few marquee players will get vast contracts while everybody else gets their salary cut in half.

The union has not planned well in building a strike fund of any size. The players have not planned well by saving money. In short, the players have been living in fantasyland and the last few months have had several buckets of ice water tossed in their faces and are snapping out of it way way too late.

The owners have acted like business owners and prepared for the worst quite nicely. The players believed a bunch of BS from Upshaw and the union, and now they are going to pay in a huge way. The owners have significantly more leverage at this point.

The players are screwed, its just a question of how soon they accept that and come to terms with the owners. Most of them will be unable to deal with a lockout for any real length of time, they just don't have the finances to do so. It costs more to insure their Ferraris and Lamborghinis every month than my Honda for a whole year. Their NFL sized homes mean many of them have large mortgage payments. They have families living off the gravy train and they won't be able to continue that.

The one factor that makes me optimistic about the CBA is the possibility of a rookie salary cap, coupled with a shorter, 2 or 3 yr first contract, making the capped salary more palatable to rookies. Now, with a 4-5 yr deal (even 6 for Vince & Watson) , the player basically has one chance to make a big deal, causing angst in such players as Wilfork. With a 2-3 yr first deal, the player would be 22-24 at his second deal and potentially still have productive years ahead at the time of his 3rd deal, 28-30 yrs old.Players would be much more likely to be paid for current contributions, rather than future expectations or, in some scenarios, for past performance. It's a win-win for everyone but league officials and agents.

You know those graduate programs at McKinsey? Where you get invited if you are amongst the best 5% at your business school..

Well, the salary you can end up making is pretty significant, but the first 3 years you better be prepared to work harder than everyone else at a pretty shitty salary.

...which is plain mad. If Suh proves to be as good as everyone thinks, then he can get paid, not before.

Supply and demand. Business schools produce hundreds of graduates every year capable of doing high-level consultancy work. College football programs do not produce an equivalent number of players capable of playing DT at a high level in the NFL, let alone freaks of nature like Suh.

Supply and demand. Business schools produce hundreds of graduates every year capable of doing high-level consultancy work. College football programs do not produce an equivalent number of players capable of playing DT at a high level in the NFL, let alone freaks of nature like Suh.

You don't know if Suh is capable of playing DT at a high level in the NFL. See post about first round busts.

<<
You don't know if Suh is capable of playing DT at a high level in the NFL. See post about first round busts
>>

Entirely correct. Every team has had many first round busts over the years, and the biggest ones have come from "sure thing" top 5 picks, over and over again.

You don't know if Suh is capable of playing DT at a high level in the NFL. See post about first round busts.

We don't know for sure if he'll be a stud. But his combination of size and athleticism is absolutely a necessary precondition. And players like that don't simply grow on trees.

Anyway, suppose Suh is a bust. So what? If the Rams dump a bunch of money into a player who doesn't pan out, it's no skin off my nose.

We don't know for sure if he'll be a stud. But his combination of size and athleticism is absolutely a necessary precondition. And players like that don't simply grow on trees.

Anyway, suppose Suh is a bust. So what? If the Rams dump a bunch of money into a player who doesn't pan out, it's no skin off my nose.

What if Miami does it?
The point that you seem to be missing is that players who have consistently proven themselves in their position (i.e. they are not busts and they do have the builds) get paid less than unproven players.

I'm kind of a rooting against the players on this one

One to many appeals for public support of "I'm thinking of my family"

I wish the players had planned better for this. Unfortunately, it seems as if they did a poor job of preparation and will probably have to cave.

It's too bad, too, because the players are right on most of the issues, IMO.

What if Miami does it?
The point that you seem to be missing is that players who have consistently proven themselves in their position (i.e. they are not busts and they do have the builds) get paid less than unproven players.

Well, Miami made Jake Long the highest paid offensive lineman in history in 2008. So far, he's been worth every penny.

I just don't see a compelling reason why a player shouldn't be free to earn whatever salary he is able to negotiate for himself. Especially when you consider that NFL contracts aren't guaranteed.

While I agree with the premise that if someone wants to pay a person something, why not take it..it isn't that simple in this case IMO.
JaCarcass Russell hasn't earned much of the GUARANTEED money he has been given based on what real NFL QBs should be doing.
What other profession besides the NFL gives people more money to start with than proven people in their profession make? That would irk the shit out of me if I were an NFL vet.

Back