Nugent day one...

Shemp

Upright Member
Reaction score
Heavy pressure from the right on his missed PAT... nerves probably didn't help. But he was pretty good the rest of the dy. Clanked one in of the left post... but it went in. Cautiously optimistic.

Some of has have said continuously that what was out there was no better than what they already had.

The xtra-point try was moved back, so it wasn't automatic. I was all for it. I advocated for it a few years ago, as it was stupid to have an automatic extra-point. I know Belichick also advocated the longer xtra point.

It's like free-agency in sports...it's called progress.

Kickers are going to miss some xtra points. What is it, 32 yds now, as opposed to 18 yds? People have to get over the occasional miss. Ghost missed 4 because he he was injured. This kicker Nugent will be much better than Gostkowski would have been this year.

Nugent, day one: Good and acceptable.

I've heard it said 'no kicker or punter could screw up this team'.

Ghost was good. He had a few glaring misses but he was way above average, and let’s not forget, he’s not kicking in a dome like a lot of these guys who come in and flash. Nugent had some decent years, and a few were with the bengals who play in the AFC north. He’s used to kicking in the cold, and in shit conditions outside. He won’t be perfect, but we can count on him to have a reasonable chance at hitting a 45 yarder in bad weather in January or December. He’s not Ghost or Adam V. But of all the guys who don't have jobs now he’s the one I was hoping they’d choose. I’m glad he missed that first one and responded. He’s a veteran, and I don’t think nerves will be a factor in a big game. For just getting in and getting used to new teammates, I’m optimistic that he will be slightly more than average. And that’s all you can ask for in this situation.

There's a reason he's been on 8 different teams, he's serviceable at best which hopefully will be good enough this year. It's not like there's anyone better out there right now.

There's a reason he's been on 8 different teams, he's serviceable at best which hopefully will be good enough this year. It's not like there's anyone better out there right now.

Maybe there is, but, he was never given a chance?

I guess you could say that about every position. Do you have anyone in mind? I mean I guess we could give some no name unproven kicker a chance on a super bowl contending team if that's your thing. I hear Carli Lloyd is available. If Nugent poops the bed maybe that's what they do and it could work out. Maybe they can talk Janikowski out of retirement

Huh?

The Jets drafted him in the 2nd round. He was there for 4 years. He was with Cincinnati for 7 years. Lack of chances is not Mike Nugent's problem.

Huh?

The Jets drafted him in the 2nd round. He was there for 4 years. He was with Cincinnati for 7 years. Lack of chances is not Mike Nugent's problem.

Not Cat Scratch Fever...he was asking if there was a better kicker somewhere. I replied with your quote. Maybe somewhere there is a really good kicker, but for whatever reason(s), never was given a chance.

It's possible... :shrug_n:

he had extended stints with the JETE and Bengals. He's decent. Being on a number of teams is not uncommon for kickers, it's more of an oddity for one not to be.

he had extended stints with the JETE and Bengals. He's decent. Being on a number of teams is not uncommon for kickers, it's more of an oddity for one not to be.

I was high on Nugent coming out and really was hoping KC would draft him but in hindsight I'm glad as hell we didn't. Don't know what went wrong with him but for some reason he just went to shit as an NFL kicker.

Decent vs serviceable, kind of splitting hairs. He's 18th in FG% among active kickers(100+ FGA), I'm sticking with serviceable. Gost is 3rd and a lot people here think he sucks so I'm just doing the math.

Of the current top 20 kickers, only a couple have changed teams. I would not say it's that common for kickers to constantly change teams if they are any good, except for maybe late in their careers. He was on 4 different teams in a span of 2 years in the middle of his prime. Maybe he was dealing with injuries I don't know, didn't bother to research but sticking on a 2 teams when those 2 teams are the Jets and Bengals isn't exactly saying much.

How many teams was Revis on in a 5 year span. How about Moss. I think Nougat has done pretty well since coming off the couch 2 weeks ago He isn't doing any worse.

How many teams was Revis on in a 5 year span. How about Moss. I think Nougat has done pretty well since coming off the couch 2 weeks ago He isn't doing any worse.

Yep he's done fine. Misses 1 kick or so per game, kind of like Ghost lately. He hasn't had to kick a pressure kick yet though. That's when it will matter. Maybe he won't ever have too, but I'm guessing we'll need a pressure kick from him at some point.

Back