Happy Bergeron made the Olympic's team!

Go Canada Go!

Some craziness from last night's Vancounver-Calgary game to take the edge off the long wait this morning. This was two seconds into the game. The fight resulted in 142 penalty minutes and 8 ejections.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JNxvV2jt_IA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Staged fighting = dumb and that proved it in spades.

Speaking of Brian Burke being an idiot...

After ruining the Leafs, he's busy now making the Flames a joke. A few games ago when the Pens played them, 2 guys went after 1 Pens AHL call-up and completely ignored the play, leading to the Pens' first goal. Later, Cammalleri threw away 2 minutes of a 5 minute powerplay by stupidly crosschecking Tanner Glass in the face. But Burke wants guys with toughness and "intensity"...

Seriously.

He did a decent job in Vancouver before getting a bunch of credit for winning with another man's team in Anaheim. He's been a joke ever since. How anyone still gives him a shot at running a club is beyond me.

Speaking of Brian Burke being an idiot...

After ruining the Leafs, he's busy now making the Flames a joke. A few games ago when the Pens played them, 2 guys went after 1 Pens AHL call-up and completely ignored the play, leading to the Pens' first goal. Later, Cammalleri threw away 2 minutes of a 5 minute powerplay by stupidly crosschecking Tanner Glass in the face. But Burke wants guys with toughness and "intensity"...

I'm not a Burke fan, but I'm not sure how this is evidence of anything but players not being disciplined.

I doubt Burke openly encouraged what happened, but I'd be shocked if he spoke negatively about it interally after the game.

The best part is Tortarella took it hook line and sinker. He could have just put out non-fighters and not acted like and idiot.

The best part is Tortarella took it hook line and sinker. He could have just put out non-fighters and not acted like and idiot.

Half agree.

If Calgary is going to put its goons on the ice and clearly demonstrate an intent to get physical on the opening shift, why would the Canucks put their top players on the ice and risk injury?

Torts deserved his suspension for acting like an idiot, but Hartley deserved a bigger fine. Staged fighting is a disgrace and needs to be removed from the game.

Half agree.

If Calgary is going to put its goons on the ice and clearly demonstrate an intent to get physical on the opening shift, why would the Canucks put their top players on the ice and risk injury?

Torts deserved his suspension for acting like an idiot, but Hartley deserved a bigger fine. Staged fighting is a disgrace and needs to be removed from the game.

I don't think Calgary was going to jump guys off the opening draw who weren't fighters. Westgarth tried to get Bieksa to fight but didn't 'jump him'.

Torts has started his tough guys before, so he has zero high ground IMO. I've seen Sestio jump guys right off draws in the last few weeks.

Vancouver is tied for first in the league with 35 fighting majors, you can't employ this tactic and then cry about it.

Oh look. A Tortarella coached team in a line brawl to start a game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iIlLbJHKw8M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think Calgary was going to jump guys off the opening draw who weren't fighters. Westgarth tried to get Bieksa to fight but didn't 'jump him'.

Torts has started his tough guys before, so he has zero high ground IMO. I've seen Sestio jump guys right off draws in the last few weeks.

Vancouver is tied for first in the league with 35 fighting majors, you can't employ this tactic and then cry about it.

My distaste for staged fighting extends to the Canucks and Torts as well. Never said otherwise.

I'm annoyed about the whole incident and his actions that led to a suspension, but I'd be extremely pissed if he'd put a star out there and it resulted in an injury. I'm aware that that situation isn't likely, but the NHL has become bush league in many ways (Scott / Kessel incident for example) so I'm fine with him keeping the better players on the bench.

That doesn't mean I support the fighting though.

Torts could have spoken to the officials and they could have defused any potential non-sense before the puck drop. His ego is massive. He's not much different then Burke actually.

Torts could have spoken to the officials and they could have defused any potential non-sense before the puck drop. His ego is massive. He's not much different then Burke actually.

spot on IMO.....I liked torts when he coached the NYR....but his ego defly got in the way and impeded his decision making

The Islanders have been giving the Bruins fits this season. It was a game until the 3rd, then the Bruins pulled away.

js do you follow the Islanders at all.

I caught the 3rd period of the Bs game last night and it looked like an NHL team (Bruins) matching up with a High School team (Islanders).

They were like 3 steps behind everything when the Bruins had the puck

Ill watch the Isle from time to time.....I know a bit about them. They have some nice young talent....but their coach is awful. They never seem to have a system....and most Isle fans that I know are always questioning why they can't make the playoffs. IMO,,,,they are defly capable of making the playoffs talent wise.

Back