Old School Wrestling Thread

Screen-Shot-2020-01-09-at-9.24.45-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-01-09-at-9.25.20-AM.png

Never got into the pro wrestling craze.

But I wrestled on the same mat on the same night as who was to become Tony Atlas.
He won his match. But our team kicked butt. lol.

I have not watched Wrestling in awhile, mainly because WWE has ruined it for me. I used to love the territories and the different federations everywhere. AWA, NWA, Mid South, UWF, Florida Championship wrestling. It had great stories, great talent that made it believable because they lived it. They took kayfabe to a new level. Of course this was before internet, so depending on where you lived, you did not see a whole other world of wrestling in Mexico, and In Texas, and In Puerto rico. So now I get to venture back and see those old matches that I missed and only read about. Was great fun. Ok that's all I have on wresting.

So, this isn't the UFC fight thread where Cowboy lost in 40 seconds? I guess it's longer than 7, but... :coffee:

Brady was there...

Love old school rasslin'! Perhaps anybody interested could post a pic, and any interested party could have a guess? I'll start... Or if it's a bad idea, please ignore :)

Love old school rasslin'! Perhaps anybody interested could post a pic, and any interested party could have a guess? I'll start... Or if it's a bad idea, please ignore :)

Superstar Billy Graham?

Alright, my turn. This one might be a bit too obscure.

I just happened to catch that they were airing WrestleMania III on Fox Sports last night so I scrapped any plans that I had and sat down and watched that. You couldn't have wiped the smile off of my face through that whole thing. It was like reliving my childhood. I didn't realize it back then but the Hogan vs Andre match was just straight garbage. The rest of the matches though were great. Macho Man vs Steamboat might be one of the best matches of all time.

I could have sworn we used to have one of these but it must have been another board. Anyway, this is a thread to share any memories of the old school wrestlers.

I was going through some of my old stuff and came across a wrestling program from when a wrestling promotion came to my hometown back in the 80s and it really jogged some memories. I pretty much watched up to the late 90's when I kind of grew out of it.

I had autographs from all sorts of wrestlers on that program but didn't recognize many. The ones I still remember were The Missing Link and Rick McCord. Link had himself a pretty big career but McCord was nothing more than a Ric Flair knockoff that kind of bounced around the Midwest promotions. I still remember reading that program and that was the first I had heard about King Kong Bruiser Brody being killed in Mexico.

Those were the glory day of Wrestling. I, too, seemed to outgrow it in the '90s, but before that, I was a rabid fan. I remember when the Link was Dewey Robertson was a face in Canada, when I was really young.

The best feud ever was Flair and Ricky Steamboat. They were both early in their careers and that feud was vicious! That was my intro to Wrestling - watching Flair grind Steamboat's face into the mat for about 15 minutes in a sneak attack on one of the TV shows.

Actually, that wasn't my first forray into Wrestling. My grandfather and I used to watch every week when I was a kid, during the Bruno Sammartino, Dominic Denuci days in the early 70's

I snapped some pictures of my old wrestling program. I would have been 12 years old at the time. This was kind of fun to go back through after all these years. I had totally forgotten that this was how I had heard about Bruiser Brody's death.

Those were the glory day of Wrestling. I, too, seemed to outgrow it in the '90s, but before that, I was a rabid fan. I remember when the Link was Dewey Robertson was a face in Canada, when I was really young.

The best feud ever was Flair and Ricky Steamboat. They were both early in their careers and that feud was vicious! That was my intro to Wrestling - watching Flair grind Steamboat's face into the mat for about 15 minutes in a sneak attack on one of the TV shows.

Actually, that wasn't my first forray into Wrestling. My grandfather and I used to watch every week when I was a kid, during the Bruno Sammartino, Dominic Denuci days in the early 70's
do you remember bob Backlund running the stairs for the Endurance world record?

YOU are one of my faves...you rock!
no you do!!!

do you remember bob Backlund running the stairs for the Endurance world record?

no you do!!!

Oh, man!! Barely but I do remember something like that? I'll have to look it up.

I remember when Wrestling made it's return to Buffalo in the 80's. The headline match was Steamboat and Jay Youngblood vs Flair and Sweet Ebony Diamond. My uncle played golf with the GM of the old Aud, where the Sabres and Braves played and would get me ringside tickets for every match.

Oh, man!! Barely but I do remember something like that? I'll have to look it up.

I remember when Wrestling made it's return to Buffalo in the 80's. The headline match was Steamboat and Jay Youngblood vs Flair and Sweet Ebony Diamond. My uncle played golf with the GM of the old Aud, where the Sabres and Braves played and would get me ringside tickets for every match.
I was second row at the Garden, on my chair clapping for The Hammer Greg Valentine when he was the typical heal and teh gallery gods (people up in the nose bleeds) started tossing stuff down on the group of us. so cool because teh wrastlers walked right by us. God those were the days!!

I was second row at the Garden, on my chair clapping for The Hammer Greg Valentine when he was the typical heal and teh gallery gods (people up in the nose bleeds) started tossing stuff down on the group of us. so cool because teh wrastlers walked right by us. God those were the days!!

Valentine was on the card I mentioned above and I walked past where the dressing rooms were and hew was leaning on a railing and glared at me with a look that terrified me at the time! The Hammer was the man!

Back