OT: I Need a Film Suggestion Available on Netflix

Fully Tilted

GhostGronk
Reaction score
4serious. I've been hooked on Netflix and I'd preferably like to watch something I haven't before. Once you've seen Moon, the critically acclaimed sci-fi melodrama starring the virtuoso thespian, Sam Rockwell, 4,000 times you need to move on.

I'm ready.

First one to post something I haven't seen that I'm remotely intrigued by gets repped like Big Ben rapes. :coffee:

The floor is yours, I'm willing to answer questions on preferences. I'm willing to help you help me.

EDIT: I'm also gonna need this moved to the Tailgate forum :doh:

Slingblade. I know you've seen it, but it's worth another 2 or 300 times.

If you liked Moon, then I would recommend Starship Troopers. It's almost like watching the exact same movie, except Casper van Diem is like Sam Rockwell on steroids.

If you liked Moon, then I would recommend Starship Troopers. It's almost like watching the exact same movie, except Casper van Diem is like Sam Rockwell on steroids.

Seen it when it first came out. Not a fan. I can't tell if you're mocking me in comparing the greatest suspense thriller since Dial M for Murder in Moon to that muck or not. :shake:

No, wait. I've got it. Greatest movie ever.

HELL RIDE.

Nuf said.

Not available. :sulk:

Seen it when it first came out. Not a fan. I can't tell if you're mocking me in comparing the greatest suspense thriller since Dial M for Murder in Moon to that muck or not. :shake:
I was mostly mocking Starship Troopers, since, y'know, it sucked. And also you, since, y'know.

On a serious note, I thought Street Kings was a really good movie I never heard of.

I recently saw "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". That was good.

Just bought the book and am in the middle of reading something else. I gotta wait on the movie.

I was mostly mocking Starship Troopers, since, y'know, it sucked. And also you, since, y'know.

On a serious note, I thought Street Kings was a really good movie I never heard of.

As long as you were mocking me in some fashion, it's acceptable. Saw Street Kings. Keanu Reeves right? It was decent and his wooden style of acting actually worked like in the Matrix.

I thought "Taken" was a good action flick worth wasting some hours on.

Seen it.

This is no easy challenge, I admit.

I think this site is a must of you're into Netflix hardcore: http://instantwatcher.com/

Hot diggity! (this is a phrase I've literally never spoken in my life, FTR)

That's one of those, "Why didn't I think of this?" services. You're getting repped and you're gonna like it.

That said, I'm still open to suggestion as I do enjoy word-of-mouth and peer-to-peer suggestion.

OK, I have no idea if these are available on Netflix, but here are some of my favorite, "unknown" films.

The Devils
Oliver Reed, Vanessa Redgrave, directed by Kurt Russell 'nuf said.

The Haunting The 1963 version, not the remake. IMHO, the finest horror movie ever made.

Memento A brilliantly twisted little movie. One of Christopher Nolan's early works. (oh and if you haven't seen Inception yet, get it).

The Prestige is another good Nolan flick and The Illusionist is a similar "magic" related flick.

Two other good Edward Norton flicks would be Roundersand The Score

I would say it goes without saying that anything by Kubrick or Hitchcock
should be put on the list. If you haven't seen the latter's "Rope" it's a very nice film.

If you want to venture into TV series, there are two that I would strongly recommend.

Babylon 5 is, IMHO, the finest Sci-Fi ever done, TV or movies.

If you've never seen it, you MUST watch at least the first four seasons. IN ORDER!

Season 5 was a bit off because the creator thought it was going to be cancelled after season 4 and then suddenly had to "fill" the last season with stuff he hadn't originally intended.

B5 was a bit of an anomaly in that the creator had all five seasons mapped out before the pilot was shot. Things and characters that were minor side bits in season 1 became major plot lines in later seasons.

Firefly is yet another example of how stupid TV execs can be. It didn't even last a full season on Fox, yet it garnered enough support to justify them making a full length movie "Serenity".

Joss Whedon is the guy behind it. He also did Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV series) and Angel. He's someone that I will watch his stuff regardless of what it is.

Shit, just when I settle in with something, here comes OPT! ROFL

OK, I have no idea if these are available on Netflix, but here are some of my favorite, "unknown" films.

The Devils
Oliver Reed, Vanessa Redgrave, directed by Kurt Russell 'nuf said.

Never seen it but will check it out.

The Haunting The 1963 version, not the remake. IMHO, the finest horror movie ever made.

Seen it. Classic. I'm a big Horror fan. Hard to sneak one by me in this genre.

Memento A brilliantly twisted little movie. One of Christopher Nolan's early works. (oh and if you haven't seen Inception yet, get it).

Seen it. Here's a suggestion back to you. Nolan's early work: Following

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154506/

The Prestige is another good Nolan flick and The Illusionist is a similar "magic" related flick.

Seen it. :thumb:

Two other good Edward Norton flicks would be Roundersand The Score

Seen them both. Rounder is a part of my collection.

I would say it goes without saying that anything by Kubrick or Hitchcock
should be put on the list. If you haven't seen the latter's "Rope" it's a very nice film.

Have to check out Rope but again, I'm a horror fan and quite a few modern horror fims adapt a lot of Hitchcock's themes. Kubrick. Nothing more need be said.

If you want to venture into TV series, there are two that I would strongly recommend.

Babylon 5 is, IMHO, the finest Sci-Fi ever done, TV or movies.

If you've never seen it, you MUST watch at least the first four seasons. IN ORDER!

I always work chronologically with TV series. I may check this out. I've heard good stuff but I find most TV Sci-fi to be kitchy. I'm a fan of high budgets and special special effects. What can I say?

That said.....

Firefly is yet another example of how stupid TV execs can be. It didn't even last a full season on Fox, yet it garnered enough support to justify them making a full length movie "Serenity".

Joss Whedon is the guy behind it. He also did Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV series) and Angel. He's someone that I will watch his stuff regardless of what it is.

Firefly is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite television series ever. I own the season and the movie. :thumb:

Good reco's OPT!!!

I don't know what kind of movies you like, but Casablanca is a movie I think everyone should watch at least once.

Also, I can't recommend the HBO series "Rome" enough. It's only two seasons so It's not like trying to pick up the Sopranos from the beginning.

I will say, it's not for the feint of heart.

Back