OT: Laser Eye Surgery

Anyone here had it done? Willing to share pros/cons, personal experiences, any knowledge of the procedure.. it's success rate.. complications.. anything?

I'm *kinda* considering it, just cause I'm sick of having to get new glasses every friggin year, and messing with bifocals (soon to be trifocals), etc.

Appreciate any input! TIA!

I've never had it done, but I work for an ophthalmic drug development company so I have a little insight.

I think someone else mentioned that they had it done and it was great. But they said that they had dry eye for a while then it went away. Well sometimes it goes away and sometimes it doesn't. Dry eye can affect you on various levels, and is something that you don't want to acquire if you can avoid it.

There are currently no FDA approved products for the relief of signs and symptoms associated with dry eye disease. Again, it all depends on severity, but I would certainly ask your physician about dry eye and your chances of getting a long-lasting, bad case of it post-surgery.

I'm afraid my wife will get it and see me clearly for the 1st time......that would not be a good thing

ROFL

I think I also benefited from my wifes poor vision:coffee:

I've never had it done, but I work for an ophthalmic drug development company so I have a little insight.

I think someone else mentioned that they had it done and it was great. But they said that they had dry eye for a while then it went away. Well sometimes it goes away and sometimes it doesn't. Dry eye can affect you on various levels, and is something that you don't want to acquire if you can avoid it.

There are currently no FDA approved products for the relief of signs and symptoms associated with dry eye disease. Again, it all depends on severity, but I would certainly ask your physician about dry eye and your chances of getting a long-lasting, bad case of it post-surgery.
108-natural-tears-60_lg.jpg

:coffee:

Anyone here had it done? Willing to share pros/cons, personal experiences, any knowledge of the procedure.. it's success rate.. complications.. anything?

I'm *kinda* considering it, just cause I'm sick of having to get new glasses every friggin year, and messing with bifocals (soon to be trifocals), etc.

Appreciate any input! TIA!

My brother had it done it few years back. It worked great. He said it was absolutely painless while they did the surgery, but when the painkillers wore off, he said he was in agony for the rest of that day.

I'm afraid my wife will get it and see me clearly for the 1st time......that would not be a good thing

And then she'll be very dry for the next 3-6 months...

rim-shot-johnny-utah.thumbnail.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for all the replies! I am going to research it a bit, check out docs in my area, costs, etc. I've had glasses since I was 9 years old, and frankly, don't think I look "right" without them. But, as I've gotten older, my eyes seem to keep worsening, and I'm sick of dealing with bifocals, computer glasses, frames get out of alignment and then can't see worth shit and get monster headaches, separate pair of sunglasses, yada, yada.

It's such a PITA, I would love to be able to ditch all of that and see clearly without glasses!

I would think the cost of the procedure would pay for itself relatively quickly (considering the cost of glasses, especially since I seem to need new ones every friggin year!), and the increase in QOL would definitely be a plus!

I'll let ya all know when I've made a decision. I guess the first step should be finding a reputable doc and seeing if I'm even a candidate for it.

Definitely find a great doctor and I wouldn't neccessarily go for cheapest. It's your eyes you just don't wanna mess around with them!

hmm well I have dry spots in my eyes is what my eyes doctor tells me. It makes wearing my contacts living hell at times. But I started putting in this gel at night by Genteel. I can't see much after I put it in but I am only going to bed anyway lol It's helped.

I've been thinking of doing this as well, but always worried I'll be that random case that ends up blind!
Seriously, has anyone heard of a legitimate case where things went badly ?

I'd love to get it done, but my reflexes against anything coming near my eyes are insane. And the thought of them having to cut open you eye? Not gonna happen unless I am drugged heavily. lol
But if they tell you to keep your eyes focused on a spot, then you have to be coherent enough to do that; there's no way that's going to work. lol

I've been thinking of doing this as well, but always worried I'll be that random case that ends up blind!
Seriously, has anyone heard of a legitimate case where things went badly ?

^this lol I have terrible luck especially recently. That would be terrible.

Uh, what about it? There are a number of artificial tears on the market right now. None of them are FDA approved for relief of the sign and symptoms of dry eye.

:coffee:
And yet still they work. :shrug:

Back