OT - RIP J.D. Salinger

I had to read it in high school and college. I loved it.:shrug:

Never liked Salinger. And Catcher in the Rye... IMO, it's a piece of overrated trash. Caufield is a whiny, self-absorbed brat who thinks his problems should stop the universe and, somehow, he became a hero to adolescents. I read the entire book just wanting to slap the little POS.

THIS.

Thank you! I cannot understand when I tell people Catcher in the Rye was terrible, and they're like "oh I loved that book!" :banghead: I have never wished a fictional character was real more strongly than I wished Holden was real. JUST so I could punch him in the face.

When I read Catcher in the Rye I liked it so much that I finished it in one day.

It remains just about my favorite book of all time.

For those of you who have read (and liked) Catcher in the Rye, I strongly recommend reading, A Confederacy of Dunces.

THIS.

I have never wished a fictional character was real more strongly than I wished Holden was real. JUST so I could punch him in the face.

I thought Penguins fans didn't like the rough stuff:coffee:

When I read Catcher in the Rye I liked it so much that I finished it in one day.

It remains just about my favorite book of all time.

For those of you who have read (and liked) Catcher in the Rye, I strongly recommend reading, A Confederacy of Dunces.

That is a good book.

He is real. Just drive by any high school nowadays. He's right there.

That's what pissed me off the most. I read this book in high school, and was told Holden was supposed to represent high school aged kids. I was like, "WTF? First you make me read this shitty book, then you insult me?"
I mean really, how many high school kids do you know who get beat up by the lamest pimp of all time, and ask random people if a truck comes to take away all the ducks in the winter?

You know, if you read between the lines of that book... embrace it's teaching, and really think about it, that book contains everything you need to know on how to get laid. :coffee:

Yeah, but a man maybe. And a mentally disturbed man at that.
Do Not Want.

I thought he was already dead. :huh:

Oh, right, he just hid himself in seclusion and didn't talk to anyone. What's the difference between that and death? :shrug:

Never liked Salinger. And Catcher in the Rye... IMO, it's a piece of overrated trash. Caufield is a whiny, self-absorbed brat who thinks his problems should stop the universe and, somehow, he became a hero to adolescents. I read the entire book just wanting to slap the little POS.

Exactly this.

I was never meant to read it. It was left in a house I moved into and I put it in the can for reading material. It's hella short, like 130 pages or something. I didn't understand, wtf was so special about it?

Meh.

I read the Catcher in the Rye in high school, but I never identified with it. Read a Separate Peace in high school and identified with the main character and, the twist at the end REALLY, really, really pissed me off. Confederacy of dunces is pretty good, too, but the main character also pissed me off.

In the book that Field of Dreams was based, Shoeless Joe, I think, it was J.d. Salinger that Ray Kinsella had to take to a Red Sox game. I imagine they decided they were goign to get sued if they used Salinger in the movie.

Back