Patriots 2021 cuts, signings, and practice squad

New England Patriots from Draft Diamonds

• Patriots traded a 2022 seventh-round pick to the Chiefs in exchange for OL Yasir Durant
  • Patriots waived WR Kristian Wilkerson, CB Dee Virgin, CB D’Angelo Ross, DT Bill Murray, S Adrian Colbert, TE Matt LaCosse, OL Alex Redmond, CB Myles Bryant, WR Isaiah Zuber, DL Montravius Adams, QB Cam Newton, DT Akeem Spence, OL Will Sherman, K Nick Folk, QB Brian Hoyer, C James Ferentz, DB Dee Virgin, OLB Tashawn Bower, DB OT Korey Cunningham, WR Tre Nixon, DT Nick Thurman
  • Patriots placed S Joshuah Bledsoe on NFI list
  • Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore and DT Byron Cowart will start the season on the PUP list
  • Patriots are expected to place LB Cameron McGrone on the NFI list to start the season
  • Patriots placed LB Anfernee Jennings on I/R
  • Patriots placed QB Jarrett Stidham on the PUP list

Good visual of the current depth chart courtesy Mr Reiss...

20210831_193007.jpg

Gotta believe Wilkerson will be there, too. And presumably Hoyer, though adding the Navy QB - I think he has to be claimed to the active roster, doesn't he? - makes me wonder...

Mike Reiss
@MikeReiss
·
42m

The Patriots have claimed former Navy QB-turned-WR/RB Malcolm Perry on waivers from the Dolphins, per
@FieldYates
. Perry was a 7th-round pick in 2020, No. 246 overall. The Patriots heavily scouted him prior to the draft and likely would have attempted to sign him as a free agent.

BB's good deed for the day.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1433119795340320770

The only reason I can think is that BB wants to save space on the 53 for now. Eventually, he'll come back to the 53 but BB has 2 weeks to get it done.
Also read this, if a vested veteran is on your 53 for Week 1, his salary becomes fully guaranteed. To get around this, you'll see teams sign a vet to practice squad for Week 1, even elevate them on game day, then sign them to the 53 in Week 2.

Back