Patriots 2021 cuts, signings, and practice squad

Keeping Folk on the practice squad seems kind of pointless considering any team can sign him to their active roster if they need him and can entice him with enough money. Do they really need to see him practice? Maybe I don't understand the practice squad rules. Can anyone explain why they are doing this?

On a separate note, I am always curious about who would be the emergency QB now that Edelman is retired. I am guessing my Jakobi Meyers?
As for putting Folk on the PS, I believe it can be a money saving technique. Or they can have an agreement with Folk, where they tell Folk "We want to go with the rookie, however if you sign on to the PS you get your original contract". And the Pats are covered if the rookie flakes out. There are probably some other scenarios . Agree it's a gamble, maybe

I don't go on Twitter, but that right there is one of the notable quotes in recent Patriots history.

If he explained those views then I'd appreciate the Cliff Notes.
Recent Patriots history? Hell, the all-time history of mankind... Jesus, if he has to support a family, they all better GD hope and pray he can kick...

So, I've been a critic of Jakob Johnson, who lasted as long as he did/has only because Bill liked the roster exemption for international players. As some people here will tell you, Bill is cheap. So cheap that he probably hangs around Whole Foods and eats free samples of foods he can't stand. That's my analogy for Johnson. Good kid, has improved all the way up to fair after several seasons of work, can deliver a wallop if he gets somebody lined up and they don't move and gives you zero yards after contact because he doesn't have any special athletic traits.

Therefore, I'm interested in a potential replacement and I've been watching Ben Mason. First, he appears very large and runs extremely hard in a straight line, often dealing a thunderous blow to the defender whether blocking or carrying the ball. He is not nimble afoot, but seems to have pretty good initial quickness and at times plays like a human sledgehammer. I'd call him pretty stiff, athletically, but he was often used as a ball carrier in short-yardage/goal line situations by Michigan and appears to be effective at moving the pile. He does not look to be a natural hands catcher, but caught a few here and there. I didn't look up his stats and was just trying to get a general impression.

At one point he was moved to DT and then moved back to fullback, so you might assume he's very tough and that's the impression I get from the clips below. I don't know what he'll look like playing against NFL players instead of the woeful Nebraska D (3 TDs), but the guy certainly appears to have some raw power, so I'm hoping he gets a fair shot and can eventually help us upgrade the FB position. That may not take long if he can figure out what he's doing here.

Is he the next James the Juggernaut Develin? I'd call that a potential possibility.

Enjoy and let me know what you see in him.

View: https://youtu.be/KyC8u7Rp8g8

So, I've been a critic of Jakob Johnson, who lasted as long as he did/has only because Bill liked the roster exemption for international players. As some people here will tell you, Bill is cheap. So cheap that he probably hangs around Whole Foods and eats free samples of foods he can't stand. That's my analogy for Johnson. Good kid, has improved all the way up to fair after several seasons of work, can deliver a wallop if he gets somebody lined up and they don't move and gives you zero yards after contact because he doesn't have any special athletic traits.

Therefore, I'm interested in a potential replacement and I've been watching Ben Mason. First, he appears very large and runs extremely hard in a straight line, often dealing a thunderous blow to the defender whether blocking or carrying the ball. He is not nimble afoot, but seems to have pretty good initial quickness and at times plays like a human sledgehammer. I'd call him pretty stiff, athletically, but he was often used as a ball carrier in short-yardage/goal line situations by Michigan and appears to be effective at moving the pile. He does not look to be a natural hands catcher, but caught a few here and there. I didn't look up his stats and was just trying to get a general impression.

At one point he was moved to DT and then moved back to fullback, so you might assume he's very tough and that's the impression I get from the clips below. I don't know what he'll look like playing against NFL players instead of the woeful Nebraska D (3 TDs), but the guy certainly appears to have some raw power, so I'm hoping he gets a fair shot and can eventually help us upgrade the FB position. That may not take long if he can figure out what he's doing here.

Is he the next James the Juggernaut Develin? I'd call that a potential possibility.

Kyle Juszczyk...and he kicks ass!

They may have just replaced newton's 12 rushing tds in short yardage.

I saw a strong stiff guy who got stood up and knocked off balance too easily as a ball carrier.
A musclebound plodder with a good OLine that probably made him look a lot better carrying the ball than he is, at least in those clips against that DL.
He doesn't look as athletic or as versatile as Marc Edwards or Heath Evans and certainly not Patrick Pass.
Any clips of him blocking?
That's kind of the definition of a fullback today. A blocker in the mold of Lorenzo Neal or our own James Develin. Jakob doesn't have their heft as a blocker.

The days of Jim Brown, Jim Taylor and Csonka were long ago. Franco Harris and John Riggins were among the last NFL FBs I can remember who regularly carried the ball effectively. Late 70's into early 80's and that was that until Mike Alstott popped up for Tampa Bay and led them to their SB win in 2002. He may be the best pure FB - running, catching and blocking - I remember well.

(I can't forget the nightmares of the days when OJ Simpson had Jim Braxton, an OG, playing FB & blocking for his runs. That was a devastating combo for our Pats.)

I saw a strong stiff guy who got stood up and knocked off balance too easily as a ball carrier.
A musclebound plodder with a good OLine that probably made him look a lot better carrying the ball than he is, at least in those clips against that DL.
He doesn't look as athletic or as versatile as Marc Edwards or Heath Evans and certainly not Patrick Pass.
Any clips of him blocking?
That's kind of the definition of a fullback today. A blocker in the mold of Lorenzo Neal or our own James Develin. Jakob doesn't have their heft as a blocker.

The days of Jim Brown, Jim Taylor and Csonka were long ago. Franco Harris and John Riggins were among the last NFL FBs I can remember who regularly carried the ball effectively. Late 70's into early 80's and that was that until Mike Alstott popped up for Tampa Bay and led them to their SB win in 2002. He may be the best pure FB - running, catching and blocking - I remember well.

(I can't forget the nightmares of the days when OJ Simpson had Jim Braxton, an OG, playing FB & blocking for his runs. That was a devastating combo for our Pats.)

I watched a bunch of clips and to my eyes he was impressive as a blocker, but I selected that one to share for the scores.

You named some fine fullbacks, and, yes, he has more in common with Neal, or Sam Gash, than he does Heath Evans or Edwards who were more all-around guys.

Try this brief clip for a few examples of him making pancakes in space. There isn't a hell of a lot of recent stuff of him.

View: https://youtu.be/UisnGvMGEvw

Thanks, Hawg. Here's another. Looks like a straight ahead guy who can get a couple of tough yards but he won't make anyone miss very often.

I'm generally not in favor of the Patriots having anything to do with the hoity-toity folks from A2 (GO GREEN!!!! and Brady notwithstanding), but a bruising fullback would look good in this offense.

Back