Patriots-49ers Official Game Day Thread

I think Brady was intentionally forcing it to Julian because he is also from San Fran like Brady and he wanted him to have a big day but it was irksome as other receivers were open, Amendola in particular on a lot of the forced throws to Julian.

Great points about Blount. Right now we have a three headed monster with Blount, White and Lewis. I am not sure we have ever had a more formidable group of RBs in the Brady era.

Brady's had Edelman tunnel vision in prior stints without Gronk. Rightfully so at times because he had few receivers he could trust.

Shouldn't be the case now though, and he did eventually break out of that trend with a great 4th Q.

The Mercury News grades the 49ers' performance

Nine consecutive losses puts this season’s 49ers alongside the 1978 version for the longest skid in franchise history. Here is how the 49ers (1-9) graded in Sunday’s 30-17 home loss to the New England Patriots (8-2):

Pass offense: D+
Chip Kelly rightfully said the 49ers don’t have the personnel for a pass-oriented comeback, as illustrated throughout this losing streak. With Torrey Smith out for the first time in 90 career games, the 49ers did not have a down-field threat commanding a double team, Kelly noted. Vance McDonald and Shaun Draughn each had a touchdown among their three receptions. All five sacks came before halftime, so pass protection can’t take the blame for Kaepernick’s second-half snooze (8 of 21, 90 yards).

Run offense: C
With such a glaring lack of receiving play makers, can’t the 49ers just have Carlos Hyde and Kaepernick run on every snap, please? Hyde rebounded well from last game and produced 86 rushing yards. Kaepernick had a season-low four carries (32 yards). DuJuan Harris had four carries for 4 yards and got bulldozed on a third-down sack.

Pass defense: D
As great as Tom Brady was in a four-touchdown showcase, he also showed how the 49ers pass rush is constantly a step too slow. So what is it, Brady has a quick release or Brady moves well in the pocket? Both. Nine games in and not one interception by a cornerback. Eric Reid’s arm injury and Jimmie Ward’s concussion might further deplete an injury-riddled defense.

Run defense: D+
Surprise, the 49ers made way for another 100-yard rusher, although LeGarrette Blount (19 carries, 124 yards) didn’t hit the century mark until just 1:40 remained. Blount had a 44-yard run against a defense that allowed a 100-yard rusher in an NFL-record seven straight games before stopping that streak the previous week in Arizona. Kelly singled out linebacker Nick Bellore — for playing better than he did four weeks ago? Bill Belichick, meanwhile, praised the 49ers run defense: “It was hard to just run the ball against the eight- to nine-man fronts that they were presenting, and their safeties did a good job, (Antoine) Bethea and (Eric) Reid, and the corners.”

Special teams: B-
Phil Dawson made his 400th career field goal with a 33-yard attempt in the first quarter. He’s 14 of 15 on field-goal attempts and, in what’s emerged as another asset, he’s made all 22 point-after kicks. The punt-coverage unit let Danny Amendola average 15.3 yards on three returns. Jeremy Kerley (muffed punt return out of bounds) and JaCorey Shepherd (10-yard kick return) weren’t stellar.

Coaching: D
Kelly is the first coach in 49ers history to lose nine straight games in a season, with no end in sight to this skid as they take an 0-4 road record to Miami and Chicago. Halftime adjustments either aren’t made or backfire (see: 58-16 third-quarter differential). Did we mention the sideline drew a 15-yard, unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty for repeatedly not heeding officials’ warnings?

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/21/grading-the-49ers-30-17-loss-to-the-new-england-patriots/

Agreed. It wasn't just the throw. Mitchell showed some nice acceleration after the catch.

During an interview this morning, Brady said Mitchell's route on that play was supposed to be just 6 yards. Pats were only trying for a first down, but once Brady ran into trouble in the backfield and had to scramble, (Brady said) Mitchell did an excellent job modifying his route to make the pass work and then take it to the house.

Mitchell getting involved is awesome. Let's hope he keeps developing chemistry with Brady. He and Hogan offer a few things this team has lacked in recent years.

Also, it's kind of amazing how far Chip Kelly has fallen.

Mitchell getting involved is awesome. Let's hope he keeps developing chemistry with Brady. He and Hogan offer a few things this team has lacked in recent years.

Also, it's kind of amazing how far Chip Kelly has fallen.

I thought there were indications that they weren't really giving a good effort on D in that second half.

It's not unusual to see teams pack it in when Brady has the game way out of reach, but it is unusual to see it happen as early as it did yesterday when it was still a game. More or less. Guys just weren't really committing to the tackle or chasing plays down.
'
That, to me, is a solid indication that Kelly doesn't really have a handle on that team.

Worst 49er team I've seen in many years. It'd be interesting if they cut their losses and paid his contract off after one year, but where is the reason for optimism? That may be the best thing for them.

I don't think it will be too much longer until we see old Chipper back in college. He just isn't an NFL coach.Some guys are NFlers and some guys are college guys. Not often can a coach be successful in both. Give Jim Harbaugh credit for being solid on both sides.

As for the game, the numbers look pretty solid for the Pats. Some things that might be in question. Brady only threw 60% completions. That's a bit low for a guy like him against a team like San Fran. I'd bet he's a career 65% guy, or there about. Especially when the running game was so effective. There might be a problem with the pats run defense. But, like always, they will be fine. All in all, it's tough to go across country and play. Even if it's best team vs the worst team(or close to it) Pats got a W and that's all that matters for them. Good game Pats.

I thought there were indications that they weren't really giving a good effort on D in that second half.

It's not unusual to see teams pack it in when Brady has the game way out of reach, but it is unusual to see it happen as early as it did yesterday when it was still a game. More or less. Guys just weren't really committing to the tackle or chasing plays down.
'
That, to me, is a solid indication that Kelly doesn't really have a handle on that team.

Worst 49er team I've seen in many years. It'd be interesting if they cut their losses and paid his contract off after one year, but where is the reason for optimism? That may be the best thing for them.

Longhorn Kelly coming soon!!

4TD's with 0 INT's is. The 60% is a bit low for a guy like Brady, against a team like the 49ers. IMO
not an excuse but a suggestion of why the number was about 7-10% lower than usual

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OT1HCQcSHW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

not an excuse but a suggestion of why the number was about 7-10% lower than usual

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OT1HCQcSHW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Nice. I love it. BTW, good work in the betting. 10 digits is a lot of money.

I don't think it will be too much longer until we see old Chipper back in college. He just isn't an NFL coach.

Agree. His "hyper-active" offense is perfect for young college dudes, but too taxing for older NFL players.

Agree. His "hyper-active" offense is perfect for young college dudes, but too taxing for older NFL players.

Boston College would be a great landing spot for him. Back to his New England roots and he can try to save a struggling program.

Boston College would be a great landing spot for him. Back to his New England roots and he can try to save a struggling program.

Or perhaps rebuild a struggling Oregon that flourished under his style.

Or perhaps rebuild a struggling Oregon that flourished under his style.

I think he still can be a good coach in the NFL...the 49er's aren't exactly helping him much at all.

When he was with the Eagles, he took them to the playoffs the first two years...he isn't exactly Rich Kotite out there.

Also, look at Marvin Lewis and Jeff Fisher...:coffee:

I don't think it will be too much longer until we see old Chipper back in college. He just isn't an NFL coach.Some guys are NFlers and some guys are college guys. Not often can a coach be successful in both. Give Jim Harbaugh credit for being solid on both sides.

As for the game, the numbers look pretty solid for the Pats. Some things that might be in question.z Brady only threw 60% completions. That's a bit low for a guy like him against a team like San Fran. I'd bet he's a career 65% guy, or there about. Especially when the running game was so effective. There might be a problem with the pats run defense. But, like always, they will be fine. All in all, it's tough to go across country and play. Even if it's best team vs the worst team(or close to it) Pats got a W and that's all that matters for them. Good game Pats.

The 49er's were loaded when Harbawl was there...not anymore though.

I think he still can be a good coach in the NFL...the 49er's aren't exactly helping him much at all.

When he was with the Eagles, he took them to the playoffs the first two years...he isn't exactly Rich Kotite out there.

Also, look at Marvin Lewis and Jeff Fisher...:coffee:

He did have a couple good seasons. At first. The league caught on and his offense didn't last. I just don't think he knows how to deal with the personalities in the NFL. He's good with a bunch of kids that look to him for direction. In the NFL, the players run the show for the most part. A good coach knows how to work with the different egos and personalities. I guess we will see.

Back