Patriots-49ers Official Game Day Thread

Yep. It is other worldly what he is doing. His 4 TDs were to four different receivers today. And of course no Gronk either.

He's like Rocky with all that heart. Literally outshining himself. He wanted to become Joe and he can surpass him.

CxvvkStWQAAzGhh.jpg

I can support this meme. :coffee:

Yep. It is other worldly what he is doing. His 4 TDs were to four different receivers today. And of course no Gronk either.

I can't decide if the Amedola TD or the Mitchell one was better. They were both sick plays. The Mitchell one, that ball went over the defenders helmet by about 6 inches and into Mitchells hands. Talk about threading the freaking needle.

I'll take it, but...

I can't decide if the Amedola TD or the Mitchell one was better. They were both sick plays. The Mitchell one, that ball went over the defenders helmet by about 6 inches and into Mitchells hands. Talk about threading the freaking needle.

I'm just glad the defender didn't manage to turn to look for the ball.

I like Mitchell's

I'm just glad the defender didn't manage to turn to look for the ball.
I'm glad the ball didn't hit him in the back of the helmet. that was a frozen rope!!

The Niners are no scoring slouch despite their record. They put up 27 at Carolina, 18 at Seattle, 17 against the Cowboys, 21 and then 20 against the Cards, 16 at the Bills, 23 against the Saints. At SF, the Pats effectively held them to 10 when it counted. With a little stiffer end D and another minute on the clock this could've been 37-10. So, overall, I'm happy with the progress the D has made considering all the pieces no longer there (Jones, Collins, Sheard) and the fact that they're giving young guys more time than we expected. And for the O, considering no Gronk, no Hogan, barely-there Bennett, and a Dion just getting his feet wet... not bad.

I don't count the Buffalo loss because they were missing a player who's kind of critical. So I love the fact that, every game, the Pats look just meh, and we think they can play a lot better, and yet they pretty much take care of business. This team is probably going to be universally ranked #2 after Dallas, and they still have TONS of headroom.

It was the Mitchell one. :coffee:

Good win. I'm in the UAE at the moment so just watched the game on Gamepass. 4 thrown TDs from Tom is fantastic and what really is catching the eye is the movement he's showing in the pocket. He's getting himself out of trouble and also making fantastic throws under pressure. This is a real change we're seeing, showing even now, he's still working hard to improve his game. He looked like Roethlisberger at times yesterday! The receivers were all great, Edelman had his best game in a while. Bill singled out Mitchell for his blocking on the big LG run.

And defence wasn't bad either. Good pass rush and some sacks.

For SF, Eric Reid's injury is a torn biceps tendon so he's out for the year.
Jimmy Ward is in the concussion protocol and may not be available vs the Dolphins.

For SF, Eric Reid's injury is a torn biceps tendon so he's out for the year.
Jimmy Ward is in the concussion protocol and may not be available vs the Dolphins.
I am shocked Edelmann was not hurt, he spun out of one tackle and ewent head to head with a DB, might have been when Ward got hurt, but bounced right up.

I am shocked Edelmann was not hurt, he spun out of one tackle and ewent head to head with a DB, might have been when Ward got hurt, but bounced right up.

I'm starting to worry about him like I did WWelker but so far Edelman has been teflon compared to Welker.

Random Observations:

* While a 13 point win on the west coast should be something to feel good about, I was looking at just how bad SF was and finding reasons to worry about the future. I didn't like the fact that if they kept handing the ball to Carlos Hyde when it was 13-10 then the end result might have been a lot different. I kept seeing our edge defenders turn the play back inside and there were no linebackers filling. Ever since the Collins trade it appears like Elandon Roberts has pretty much disappeared with the stat sheet showing him with one assist. Shea McLellin wasn't much better and ended up with 4 tackles largely because he seems like a solid option to target yesterday as is often the case.

On a brighter note, I thought Kyle Van Noy looked pretty good and think that he may have earned himself a longer look moving forward. He moves well, can close on the QB and hustled to the ball although I think he still needs some time in the system since he sometimes looked a little hesitant of his assignment. Still, a sack, a couple of pressures and 3 tackles in limited snaps was encouraging and the second half lead allowed him to gain some experience.

* You can't really bitch about a 4 TD performance from number 12, but there were times when I thought the game plan was to keep firing long balls to Edelman not matter how long it took to connect on one. I know it was raining pretty hard, but......Jesus. Edelman had 8 catches and a TD in 17 targets.

* Excellent debut by Dion Lewis. He continued to make positive yardage no matter how small the crease he had was. We even got to see him and James White (who was excellent also) playing out of a split backfield and I imagine we'll see more of that down the road. I can't emphasize enough how impressed I am with how much tougher White is when taking on tacklers. His 2nd effort to get a key first down was even better than his TD run, imo.

* Despite a shaky sequence from Solder getting flagged twice and having a long TD called back because of one -- you can't bitch about the job the Oline did. I thought Marcus Cannon looked particularly good cutting off the outside tush lane, which is definitely not his specialty. Dante has turned him into a completely different-looking player. On the flip side, David Andrews might be smart and scrappy, but he is giving up bad sacks and pressures at an alarming rate. Rookie Joe Thuney is continuing to have a hell of a season for himself (aside from too many flags) and shows outstanding quickness, technique and leverage on running plays. It's remarkable how much movement he gets on bigger guys, which is just about everybody he lines up against.

* Everybody knows Blount is having a hell of a year for himself, but I'd like to call a little attention to the fact that, even though he is our feature back, LG never gripes when he is used as a clock-killer and everybody is sitting there waiting for him. And while he was really pushing hard for another TD to add to his league-leading total in the closing seconds-- when the decision to take a knee came in he didn't carry on in any way. The dude is a team player, which is as it should be, but see what would happen if St. Louis decided to use Gurley like that.

* Very active game for Pat Chung with 8 combined tackles and a nice sack. He's turned out to be one of the better players on the team and probably doesn't get the credit he should.

Random Observations:

* While a 13 point win on the west coast should be something to feel good about, I was looking at just how bad SF was and finding reasons to worry about the future. I didn't like the fact that if they kept handing the ball to Carlos Hyde when it was 13-10 then the end result might have been a lot different. I kept seeing our edge defenders turn the play back inside and there were no linebackers filling. Ever since the Collins trade it appears like Elandon Roberts has pretty much disappeared with the stat sheet showing him with one assist. Shea McLellin wasn't much better and ended up with 4 tackles largely because he seems like a solid option to target yesterday as is often the case.

On a brighter note, I thought Kyle Van Noy looked pretty good and think that he may have earned himself a longer look moving forward. He moves well, can close on the QB and hustled to the ball although I think he still needs some time in the system since he sometimes looked a little hesitant of his assignment. Still, a sack, a couple of pressures and 3 tackles in limited snaps was encouraging and the second half lead allowed him to gain some experience.

* You can't really bitch about a 4 TD performance from number 12, but there were times when I thought the game plan was to keep firing long balls to Edelman not matter how long it took to connect on one. I know it was raining pretty hard, but......Jesus. Edelman had 8 catches and a TD in 17 targets.

* Excellent debut by Dion Lewis. He continued to make positive yardage no matter how small the crease he had was. We even got to see him and James White (who was excellent also) playing out of a split backfield and I imagine we'll see more of that down the road. I can't emphasize enough how impressed I am with how much tougher White is when taking on tacklers. His 2nd effort to get a key first down was even better than his TD run, imo.

* Despite a shaky sequence from Solder getting flagged twice and having a long TD called back because of one -- you can't bitch about the job the Oline did. I thought Marcus Cannon looked particularly good cutting off the outside tush lane, which is definitely not his specialty. Dante has turned him into a completely different-looking player. On the flip side, David Andrews might be smart and scrappy, but he is giving up bad sacks and pressures at an alarming rate. Rookie Joe Thuney is continuing to have a hell of a season for himself (aside from too many flags) and shows outstanding quickness, technique and leverage on running plays. It's remarkable how much movement he gets on bigger guys, which is just about everybody he lines up against.

* Everybody knows Blount is having a hell of a year for himself, but I'd like to call a little attention to the fact that, even though he is our feature back, LG never gripes when he is used as a clock-killer and everybody is sitting there waiting for him. And while he was really pushing hard for another TD to add to his league-leading total in the closing seconds-- when the decision to take a knee came in he didn't carry on in any way. The dude is a team player, which is as it should be, but see what would happen if St. Louis decided to use Gurley like that.

* Very active game for Pat Chung with 8 combined tackles and a nice sack. He's turned out to be one of the better players on the team and probably doesn't get the credit he should.

I think Brady was intentionally forcing it to Julian because he is also from San Fran like Brady and he wanted him to have a big day but it was irksome as other receivers were open, Amendola in particular on a lot of the forced throws to Julian.

Great points about Blount. Right now we have a three headed monster with Blount, White and Lewis. I am not sure we have ever had a more formidable group of RBs in the Brady era.

Random Observations:

Glad to hear the Van Noy name.

Tom was making it rain on Edelman's homecoming that may have been overlooked by many in the national media because he ain't Tommy

Lewis did his job, was a great interview after the game sounding like kevin Faulk in his "It's football and I have been playing for a long time" response.

Big fan of the Rookie Tunney, he is a keeper.

Blount knows the deal, that period of time with Rah-Rah Tomlin set him straight to the Patriots way.

Chung was used to his strengths, smart use of a player, typical Patriots football.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

I think Brady was intentionally forcing it to Julian because he is also from San Fran like Brady and he wanted him to have a big day but it was irksome as other receivers were open, Amendola in particular on a lot of the forced throws to Julian.

Great points about Blount. Right now we have a three headed monster with Blount, White and Lewis. I am not sure we have ever had a more formidable group of RBs in the Brady era.

Amendoa, 2 0n 2 targets for 2 yards and a TD, am I remembering correct?

Back