Patriots Free Agency 2023

Cosell starts at 10:20

Starts with Juju and then Gesicki. AT 20:00 he gets into Mac Jones thoughts. At 26:00 he gets into the Jones brothers. He loves Marcus Jones and Jack Jones. At 31:00 he talks about
Ty Thornton and how much he likes him, thinks he can be a player if he's fully healthy this year.

Jack looked good in very limited time. But not sure if Jack Jones is durable, and Marcus is clearly a slot CB only due to his height. So the team still really needs a CB1, as Jon Jones wasn’t the answer last year. If Jack Jones isn’t durable then the Patriots need 2 starting outside corners. The Chiefs last draft didn’t overthink it and took McDuffie and Chanel, rookies who both each made a half dozen tackles in the Superbowl and got a ring.

Jack looked good in very limited time. But not sure if Jack Jones is durable, and Marcus is clearly a slot CB only due to his height. So the team still really needs a CB1, as Jon Jones wasn’t the answer last year. If Jack Jones isn’t durable then the Patriots need 2 starting outside corners. The Chiefs last draft didn’t overthink it and took McDuffie and Chanel, rookies who both each made a half dozen tackles in the Superbowl and got a ring.
Those rookies weren't the reason why they won...

Those rookies weren't the reason why they won...

But both were good picks of rookies who were notable contributors in December, the playoffs, and the Superbowl. Both really turned it on the last month of the season and basically took over their respective positions on defense. Also noteworthy since the Eagles offense had been so physical and successful.

Without writing it all out, a pretty stark contrast as well to the Pats’ first two picks last year.

But both were good picks of rookies who were notable contributors in December, the playoffs, and the Superbowl. Both really turned it on the last month of the season and basically took over their respective positions on defense. Also noteworthy since the Eagles offense had been so physical and successful.

Without writing it all out, a pretty stark contrast as well to the Pats’ first two picks last year.
The Pats last draft was good so far...

Actually, Jack Jones graded better in coverage than KC's McDuffie and Marcus Jones graded better in coverage than KC's Williams per PFF.

Cosell starts at 10:20

Starts with Juju and then Gesicki. AT 20:00 he gets into Mac Jones thoughts. At 26:00 he gets into the Jones brothers. He loves Marcus Jones and Jack Jones. At 31:00 he talks about
Ty Thornton and how much he likes him, thinks he can be a player if he's fully healthy this year.

Nice. I haven't really been visiting CLNS since Lazar moved to patriots.com.

Interesting thought by Bedard on why STs matter less now than back in 2003 era. OTOH, I have no clue as to what Cosell means by " juice" WRT Robinson. Talks about how well he runs, how well the reads blocks, how great he is at not only recognizing defensive positioning and gaps, but how those gaps change and morph post-snap...but says he has no juice. Wish he could have used film.

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1638554996315770881?s=20

Mills is back. To be honest I was happy when he was originally cut, but he knows the system and perhaps can help out at FS.

Michael Scott No GIF

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1638554996315770881?s=20

Mills is back. To be honest I was happy when he was originally cut, but he knows the system and perhaps can help out at FS.

:lol:@ 3Point :lol: .....although I agree, but after further review & contemplation.......

maybe only asking Mills to play Safety and keep the play in front of him & faahkin' wrap-up tackle when called apon will bring out the bettah in him aftah all 🙂

His hair is still green, so probably not much. :coffee:

There's no dead money if cut, so could get cut at any point without costing the Pats anything.

Thanks for that. Also, how much did his salary for 2023 go down?

Thanks for that. Also, how much did his salary for 2023 go down?

As far as I can understand it didn't go down.

This is the old contract:

1679526177727.png

And this is the new one:

1679526247944.png

Hopefully Miguel is able to clear it up, because I'm most likely butchering it.

As far as I can understand it didn't go down.

This is the old contract:

View attachment 15923

And this is the new one:

View attachment 15924

Hopefully Miguel is able to clear it up, because I'm most likely butchering it.

So the result is potential cap savings if they turn around and cut him? Thats it?

Hmm.... they let him try to find a better deal or something they felt good about didn't materialize.

Back