Patriots have reached agreement with free-agent wide receiver Brandon Lloyd.

I put this up elsewhere and earlier.
Good time to take another look.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mu1VBplWVcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

Shutdown Corner's Doug Farrar loves the signing.

Based on his career splits, Lloyd appears poised for big things in New England. His totals from 2003 through 2009: 164 catches for 2,370 yards and 15 touchdowns. His totals in 2010-2011: 147 catches in 31 games for 2,414 yards and 16 touchdowns. He might not be able to do what Moss did in 2007, but all signs point to this move as a stroke of near-genius for a team in desperate need of precisely what Brandon Lloyd can provide.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-could-england-dream-come-true-135134373.html

PatsFanLisa said:
Well, I guess since I think they'll keep him and posted why, I should thank you for the compliment.

Just curious, who do you think the moron will be if they do keep him?

BB loves Ocho from all the reports. I read the coaching staff did to. Hopefully now that he had a year to learn The pats offense. Brady and him can get on the same page.

I don't have insider so I can't put more than this but this alone will excite the people who love this signing.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...andon-lloyd-fit-well-new-england-patriots-nfl

To get an idea of just how dominant Lloyd can be on vertical routes (defined as passes thrown 11 or more yards downfield), let's compare his 2010 vertical numbers against the vertical numbers posted by Randy Moss in his record-setting 2007 season. (Note: These totals include penalty plays such as pass interference, illegal contact, etc.) 2007 Moss: 98 vertical targets, 1,124 vertical yards, 11.5 vertical yards per attempt (VYPA), 17 touchdowns
2010 Lloyd: 110 vertical targets, 1,403 vertical yards, 12.8 VYPA, nine touchdowns
Moss has a significant lead in touchdowns, but in every other vertical metric comparison, Lloyd's 2010 campaign topped Moss' 2007 totals.

Lloyd gives me a Keyshawn Johnsonish vibe personality wise. A smart AND smartass guy who can engender intense dislike from teammates. Which is ok in this case maybe because Keyshawn was a huge fan of Parcells/BB.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-to-joe-gibbs/2012/03/15/gIQABQUrES_blog.html

Posted at 05:03 PM ET, 03/15/2012 Brandon Lloyd says he was disrespectful to Joe Gibbs

By Dan Steinberg

I haven’t thought too much about Brandon Lloyd’s Redskins tenure in recent weeks, but somehow, those dark, dark days became a major focus of the free agent receiver’s appearance on Dan Le Batard is Highly Questionable.
This all started because Lloyd was talking about getting in trouble as a high schooler, or something like that. It was also mostly said in a jesting style, with much laughter. Dialog:
DLB: You spent some time in Joe Gibbs’s principal office, didn’t you?
Lloyd: Oh, a lot of times in Joe Gibbs’s principal office.
DLB: What happened there? Did you not get along with him? I mean, you’ve rejuvenated your career since then.
Lloyd: Yeah. Let me tell you something: I’m the same person, personality-wise. I more acted uncharacteristically in Washington, just because of the lack of opportunity.
DLB: How did you stand up to him? How did you act out?
Lloyd: Well, I just voiced my opinion. You know, I voiced my opinion, and was disrespectful. And obviously, if I had to do it again [long pause] I mean, I’d probably do the same thing. [Laughter]
DLB: I thought you’d say if I had to do it again, I’d do it differently. But you wouldn’t do it differently, you would act out the same way, because you didn’t feel like you were being treated correctly, right?
Lloyd: Correct. So I’d do that again. I’d probably have a little better tact. Hopefully if I had to do it again I’d have more skills.
DLB: Here’s a do-over right now. Pretend I’m Joe Gibbs. Go ahead, let’s hear the more tactful version of how you would deliver this.
Lloyd: Instead of throw me the [bleeping] ball, I’d say could you please incorporate me more in the offense a little more this week, Mr. Joe Gibbs?
DLB: That is mature, that is polished.
Lloyd: Very mature, very polished. See, I’ve practiced that hundreds of times in my own head.
DLB: And he still wouldn’t have played you that way either.
Lloyd: No. That was the jacked up part about it.
(Thanks to whomever sent me this clip; I lost the name somehow.)

SC_DougFarrar ‏ <s>@</s>SC_DougFarrar Brandon Lloyd's air yards (throw to catch only) in 2011: 11.97 per reception. Deion Branch led the Pats with 7.27.

Unless Farrar is limiting his consideration to guys with a certain (unspecified) number of receptions, Ocho actually led the Pats with 15.0 "air yards" per catch (according to ESPN numbers, taking YPC minus YAC and dividing the result by # of receptions).

Gronk = 7.5
Branch = 7.3
Welker = 6.9
Ahern = 4.9

Oops! Actually, Slater led with 46.0 yds per reception (one catch).

Yeah, I know that Ocho only had 15 catches, which a lot of folks think makes what he did irrelevant. However, in the context of the Pats passing attack during the Brady/BB Era, aside from Moss, pretty much all the receivers who posted 16.5 YPC or better were used about as sparingly (10-25 catches) as Ocho was in 2011.

It's entirely possible that Lloyd is capable of being used more than that with the Pats. In 2010, with McD in Denver, his "air yards" number was 16.2.

Brandon Lloyd is not even in the same stratosphere as Moss.

As far as having a questionable character? I would think they are similar. Talent wise, not really.

My point was, Moss came here on similar terms as Lloyd. Not much of a market because of their negative past. Both have upside that is worth the risk.

As far as having a questionable character? I would think they are similar. Talent wise, not really.

My point was, Moss came here on similar terms as Lloyd. Not much of a market because of their negative past. Both have upside that is worth the risk.

Moss managed to keep his mouth shut for a couple of years but in what I might put down as a moment of madness, opened his mouth and got on BB's bad side.

Hopefully Lloyd can respect the Patriot Way and not go moaning to the media when things ain't going his way.

Moss managed to keep his mouth shut for a couple of years but in what I might put down as a moment of madness, opened his mouth and got on BB's bad side.

Hopefully Lloyd can respect the Patriot Way and not go moaning to the media when things ain't going his way.

That is BB's plan. A risk worth doing. Plus, at that contract, it is very low (not for most of us, I meant NFL wise).

And my point is, Moss is one of the greatest singular talents to ever line up at WR. Brandon Lloyd is the slowest "deep threat" in the NFL.

Moss had huge upside, as he demonstrated in 2007. I think Brandon Lloyd has already reached his ceiling for potential.

If you put all the WRs who had the talent that Moss had into one room, you might be able to organize a game of cribbage. But I'm not sure.

And my point is, Moss is one of the greatest singular talents to ever line up at WR. Brandon Lloyd is the slowest "deep threat" in the NFL.

Moss had huge upside, as he demonstrated in 2007. I think Brandon Lloyd has already reached his ceiling for potential.

This deal was worth it. :harumph:

This deal was worth it. :harumph:

Not if he starts poisoning the team, and starts going to the press because Brady didn't throw to him enough. He is Option #4 on the team now.

6 teams in 9 years now.

I hope he works out, I really do, but I'm not very hopeful. I really hope I'm wrong.

Not if he starts poisoning the team, and starts going to the press because Brady didn't throw to him enough. He is Option #4 on the team now.

6 teams in 9 years now.

I hope he works out, I really do, but I'm not very hopeful. I really hope I'm wrong.

Option 4? Don't think so....in fact right now he is by far the best outside option on the team, and its not even close.

6 teams in 9 years now.

I suppose BB can draft a rookie in the second round. You know, since he has the Midas Touch on that. :coffee:

Back