Patriots have reached agreement with free-agent wide receiver Brandon Lloyd.

3 years and only $12million? are you fvcking kidding me? that's a great deal, now just draft another wr in the draft, extend welker and the skill group on offense is set for the foreeseable future.

He finally gets a Elite QB throwing him the ball. Let's see if he can learn the pats playbook.

Not without a gun.....

and hostages.....

In a dan snyder world where the Pierre Garcons of the world are getting paid $8.5 million a year it's not that hard to imagine, I think what really hurt his market value was his attitude problems and the fact he pretty much lost all leverage when he made it abundantly clear he wanted to join the Pats.

I really hope Gonzo works out for the pats. Has talent & is very smart, just can't seem to stay healthy. I hope that is behind him. I would think his HS qb Hoyer will help him get up to speed with the playbook.

In a dan snyder world where the Pierre Garcons of the world are getting paid $8.5 million a year it's not that hard to imagine, I think what really hurt his market value was his attitude problems and the fact he pretty much lost all leverage when he made it abundantly clear he wanted to join the Pats.

Which is a good thing for the Pats. :coffee: Remember Moss?

I haven't read all this thread, but anyone who thinks the Patriots would keep Ochocincho on the roster as a third receiver even if he paid them to keep him on the team (in other words, a negative salary) is a moron.

Is he going to play special teams? Long snapper? Emergency QB?

I haven't read all this thread, but anyone who thinks the Patriots would keep Ochocincho on the roster as a third receiver even if he paid them to keep him on the team (in other words, a negative salary) is a moron.

He will be the Pats official Tweeter. :coffee:

This has to be the first big BB move that people actually predicted right! :coffee:

Well, a lot of people predicted the Ochocinco trade from last year that might have been more obvious than this deal.

Not completely sold on Lloyd but he could help the offense out. As for Gonzalez, I was a bit disappointed we signed him due to injuries but that was when he played a bigger role on Indy, I believe (Jaric can clarify if need be) and here, he will probably play a smaller role in different packages.

Gonzo/Welker/Lloyd with the guys from last year being Edelman/Ocho/Underwood/Slater. Omitting Slater since he is STs, Edelman and Ocho can easily be kept. Ocho will most definitely take a restructured deal and I think Chad can show signs of life in McDaniels system as I trust him to get him involved more. We could also have Hernandez at WR at some points assuming we sign Fells. So we could have a 5-wide set on the field with Welker, Lloyd, Gonzalez, Ochocinco and Hernandez, which sounds tremendous for us. Underwood has to go, IMO. He has good speed, just no hands--similar to Slater.

Well, a lot of people predicted the Ochocinco trade from last year that might have been more obvious than this deal.

Not completely sold on Lloyd but he could help the offense out. As for Gonzalez, I was a bit disappointed we signed him due to injuries but that was when he played a bigger role on Indy, I believe (Jaric can clarify if need be) and here, he will probably play a smaller role in different packages.

Gonzo/Welker/Lloyd with the guys from last year being Edelman/Ocho/Underwood/Slater. Omitting Slater since he is STs, Edelman and Ocho can easily be kept. Ocho will most definitely take a restructured deal and I think Chad can show signs of life in McDaniels system as I trust him to get him involved more. We could also have Hernandez at WR at some points assuming we sign Fells. So we could have a 5-wide set on the field with Welker, Lloyd, Gonzalez, Ochocinco and Hernandez, which sounds tremendous for us. Underwood has to go, IMO. He has good speed, just no hands--similar to Slater.

Not sure how big of a role he had in indy, I think they would have taken....stay on the field, as his main role. Not sure if ocho will do anything different in another system, either Brady trusts him or he doesn't, either he can run good routes or he can't.

I like this signing a lot. Lloyd should be a good addition to our perimeter passing game that opponents will have to respect. Rex is not happy. 3 years for $12M is a bargain for the Pats in this FA period where a few teams spent money stupidly. While Lloyd may not be in the same stratosphere as Moss on deep balls, Moss wouldn't do things over the middle that Lloyd does willingly and routinely. Opponents will have to account for him on every play and that's something we didn't see towards the end of the season with Branch and Ocho. Packing the middle will no longer be an option and will open things up for Gronk and Welker. And AHern suddenly becomes more of a mismatch than ever. Our TEs are the X factor to make this offense potentially even better than '07. I'm salivating just thinking about the explosiveness this offense is about to unleash on the rest of the NFL.

I think this deal shows how much Llyod wanted to come to NE! Good player for that money. If Chad and Ridley or Vereen can improve we will have a great offense. Hope we can fix the defense!

patriotsb_logo.gif
Patriots sign WR Brandon Lloyd (3 years, $12 million): A+ Grade
Holy crap, how did the Patriots manage to rope Brandon Lloyd into this contract? This signing makes sense for so many reasons. New England desperately needed a receiver. Lloyd was the top player at his position on the market. He is familiar with Josh McDaniels' system. And best of all, he signed a ridiculously cheap deal.

Greg Knopping of PatsPulpit discusses what Lloyd's addition means for our offense.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2012/3/17/2881217/patriots-and-brandon-lloyd-a-long-time-coming#storyjump

Patriots and Brandon Lloyd a Long Time Coming

patriot_tiny.png
by Greg Knopping on Mar 17, 2012 6:28 PM PDT in Opinion/Analysis

Justin Edmonds - Getty ImagesMore photos »
over 1 year ago: DENVER - NOVEMBER 28: Head coach Josh McDaniels of the Denver Broncos celebrates a touchdown by Knowshon Moreno with wide receiver Brandon Lloyd #84 against the St. Louis Rams at INVESCO Field at Mile High on November 28 2010 in Denver Colorado. The Rams defeated the Broncos 36-33. (Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images)

UPDATE: Greg A. Bedard of the Boston Globe is reporting that the deal is for three years and worth $12 million. Very reasonable, in my opinion. Props to Bill Belichick and Nick Caserio for waiting out the market and getting Lloyd to lower his price. Definitely represents a victory for the Patriots.
After months of speculation, the Patriots have finally landed free agent receiver Brandon Lloyd. That is, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter (and since confirmed by other outlets). There's only one way to describe the feelings of most Patriots fans after hearing this... FINALLY!
Here are five of my thoughts on the signing:
1. Legitimate deep threat for Patriots quarterback Tom Brady
While Brandon Lloyd might not have 4.3 speed, he is deceptively fast, and is certainly fast enough to get separation from defensive backs and knows how to go up and get the ball. He can run the entire route tree, but is most certainly a legitimate deep threat for the Patriots, something the team has lacked since Randy Moss was shipped out during the 2010 season.
2. Lloyd will open things up for Welker, Gronkowski, and Hernandez
Having a player like Brandon Lloyd on the Patriots will make everyone around him better. The attention he will draw deep will allow Wes Welker more space to work underneath. For Rob Gronkowski, defenses won't be able to bunch the box as much, which means he should be able to get open more often down the seam. Finally, for Aaron Hernandez, he likely won't be facing off against the opponent's best cornerbacks anymore, which means he should be facing lesser competition.
3. Knowledge of the system
When it comes to Lloyd, Patriots fans won't have to worry about him adjusting to the team's system and playbook, which was the issue with Chad Ochocinco in 2011. Lloyd has played under current Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels since 2009, and he has seen the most success of his career in his offensive system. This means two things. First, it means that knowledge of the system won't keep Lloyd off the field. And second, that Lloyd will be able to quickly focus on establishing a rapport and chemistry with Tom Brady.
4. Dynamic Patriots Offense
The Patriots are now faced with a possibility of having an even more dynamic offense than their historic 2007 group. While Lloyd certainly isn't anywhere as close to being as good as 2007 Randy Moss was, when you add him to a group that already includes quarterback Tom Brady, tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, and slot receiver Aaron Hernandez (not to mention Ochocinco and Deion Branch who could both return as well as a running attack that could be better than 2007), you get a group that certainly has record breaking potential. The thought of seeing this group in 2012 is certainly exciting.
5. Deal with Tom Condon
The Patriots and Tom Condon haven't done business since the 2004 season, when rookie contract negotiations broke down with 32nd overall pick Ben Watson. Each side has literally ignored the existence of the other for the last eight years, and tonight's deal with Lloyd represents a breakthrough in that area. Perhaps this opens the door for Condon and the Patriots to work on other deals in the future.

thomas144 said:

Well, I guess since I think they'll keep him and posted why, I should thank you for the compliment.

Just curious, who do you think the moron will be if they do keep him?

Back