Patriots LB Jerod Mayo could miss season with pectoral injury

MaineMimi

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this was posted in another thread - I quickly checked and couldn't find anything.

This article just popped up on Yahoo Sports - I can't find any other sources confirming this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--p...ss-season-with-pectoral-injury-230054826.html

New England Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo could miss the rest of the season after having surgery Tuesday to repair a torn pectoral muscle, Yahoo Sports has learned.
<figure id="yui_3_9_1_1_1381965400795_927" class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="0"> View gallery
JerodMayo_p_USATSI_5826134-42075d04aadadce2f0b7cb37190c075c
</figure>Jerod Mayo is one of the Patriots' top defenders. (USA TODAY Sports)

The injury, confirmed by two sources, is a blow to the Patriots, who pulled out a last-second victory over New Orleans on Sunday but may have lost four key players for significant time.
Mayo's injury is particularly difficult because he is the team's leading tackler with 55 total and 35 solo tackles and the Patriots seem to have a much thinner margin of error this season than in recent years.
He went down in the second half of Sunday's game and multiple Boston-area media outlets reported he was wearing a sling.
In addition to Mayo, New England lost wide receiver Danny Amendola and guard Dan Connolly to head injuries on Sunday. Cornerback Aqib Talib hurt his leg and left and came back to the game. The Patriots are also dealing with a daily drama involving tight end Rob Gronkowski, who has practiced but has yet to play this season after several surgeries on a fractured forearm.
Torn pectoral muscles are often season-ending injuries. Chicago Bears linebacker D.J. Williams was recently diagnosed with a year-ending one. Washington Redskins pass rusher Brian Orakpo missed most of the last two seasons with pectoral injuries.

Next man up. Collins &/or Beauharnais.

Not good though.

Well...I have to say that hurts...Is Fletcher the backup there, or do you just shift over...Spikes on passing downs? ick.

**** me, the injury bug has really hit this team hard so far this year. I guess Fletcher steps in.

Whilst I hate all these injuries given that the guys backing up in most cases are rookies or guys who have been poised to make a break big time. It's a kick in the balls now, but down the line the experience the rookies get could prove valuable in future.

That's a huge blow to the defense. Mayo a tackling machine. Collins now have to step up. He going to be getting a lot of playing time .

Kelly and Talib struggling with injuries too, both could face a while on the sidelines.

So basically the offense goes without its top 2 receiving targets for most of the first half of the season, and the D is going to go without 2 of its best players for the last 2/3 of the season. Not to mention time missed by Vereen, Talib, Conolly, Kelly, etc.

Were we overdue or something?

Brutal. Just brutal.

At this rate, it will be Tommy throwing to Gisele with members of the planet playing defense in December.

So basically the offense goes without its top 2 receiving targets for most of the first half of the season, and the D is going to go without 2 of its best players for the last 2/3 of the season. Not to mention time missed by Vereen, Talib, Conolly, Kelly, etc.

Brutal. Just brutal.

Yup. But if history is any indication, NE's mash unit is going to somehow climb down from their stretchers and smack the Jets around to the tune of a 27-10 victory. They always seem to have impressive wins right when things look bleakest.

Well this a very fine how do you do.

However, if we want to put a positive spin on this, it's shades of 2003 again.

We had 42 different starters that year and IIRC things turned out OK.

We also had more than our shares of injuries in 2001 and 2004, and that wasn't too shabby either.

This injury will require BB to don his Mad Scientist cap and come up with some sort of cunning plan to address this. The only advantage that provides is that he will be showing something that might not be on film yet and so opposing OC's won't be able to so easily game plan against it.

OK, yeah, I'm clearly :party: the kool aide

Well this a very fine how do you do.

However, if we want to put a positive spin on this, it's shades of 2003 again.

We had 42 different starters that year and IIRC things turned out OK.

We also had more than our shares of injuries in 2001 and 2004, and that wasn't too shabby either.

This injury will require BB to don his Mad Scientist cap and come up with some sort of cunning plan to address this. The only advantage that provides is that he will be showing something that might not be on film yet and so opposing OC's won't be able to so easily game plan against it.

OK, yeah, I'm clearly :party: the kool aide

Exactly what i was thinking!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

It's going to be Fletcher stepping in.

The guy is a good player with solid instincts, speed, coverage skills and tackling ability. He called the defense for a good portion of preseason and was (by far) the best player on the 2nd unit.

I don't think Bill will hesitate to give him the green dot and I think that he appears fully healthy and should be about ready to come into his own. The only area where Mayo has the clear edge is experience and strength at the point of attack since he's a bit stronger and heavier, but Fletcher's had a fair amount of snaps and always seems to have his head in the game. I believe he's ready to step up and make a name for himself.

All due respect to Jerod who has really been bringing it lately, but we'll be OK with Fletcher. Better in pass coverage.

If Collins or Beauharnais had to go in for an extended time then I would recommend that everybody shit their pants, but there is really no need at present.

Brutal. Just brutal.

Having a lockdown defense. Was just too good to be true.

What happened to the old days when a player got hurt and they'd throw some duct tape on it and keep playing.

Wonder if Mayo could be available by December?

If this wghole team could ever see the field together they'd be a force.

Hopefully that is possible when it counts.

What happened to the old days when a player got hurt and they'd throw some duct tape on it and keep playing.

Wonder if Mayo could be available by December?

You mean when jack Youngblood playef the AFC title game with a broken leg. Rivers played in the AFC title game with a partial torn ACL.

Isn't this the same injury suggs had last year and came back in a couple months.....with some help?

Back