Patriots Offseason 2022

Can't wait for certain people to freak out when he calls a draw on 3rd down, or a screen in the red zone.
2010 Pretty sure were a top ranked offense, 35 ppg and Brady was out of this world 34 TD's and 5 picks and he won MVP that season. In 2011 we were 3rd averaging 32 ppg. Again the offensive Production was really solid.

2010 Pretty sure were a top ranked offense, 35 ppg and Brady was out of this world 34 TD's and 5 picks and he won MVP that season. In 2011 we were 3rd averaging 32 ppg. Again the offensive Production was really solid.
It was. It was also the same offense.

The only difference is that O'Brien's E-P used the 2 TE set a lot more effectively than McDaniels' did, and I wouldn't be super-surprised (If O'Brien is the pick) if Jonnu Smith takes the Ahern role, and we see a lot less fullback.

I would normally be against that, but Jakob Johnson is kinda garbage. If you're going to run a 2-back set, your fullback damn well better be 90%+ success on block success. And, you know, not act like the football is a flying bowling ball of knives coming at them on a dumpoff.

The only difference is that O'Brien's E-P used the 2 TE set a lot more effectively than McDaniels' did, and I wouldn't be super-surprised (If O'Brien is the pick) if Jonnu Smith takes the Ahern role, and we see a lot less fullback.

I would normally be against that, but Jakob Johnson is kinda garbage. If you're going to run a 2-back set, your fullback damn well better be 90%+ success on block success. And, you know, not act like the football is a flying bowling ball of knives coming at them on a dumpoff.

This 100%. The heavy use of the FB returned when McD took over again, for better or worse. It was largely for the better with Develin here, but even if you have an outstanding FB, utilizing 21 and 22 personnel often is somewhat limiting from a spacing perspective.

Remove Develin, add Jonnu Smith, and McD's formational/personnel usage this past season was borderline criminal. As someone else put it, McD seemed to be trying to fit Mac into a scheme rather than fit the scheme around Mac (and their other personnel, too, not just Mac). Even the best coaches develop blind-spots and fall into patterns/habits. I'm sure McD work process was top-notch, but the offensive philosophy at a high-level from a personnel/play-calling perspective felt antiquated and stuck. Forest for the trees, type of thing.

Fingers crossed that BoB ends up back here.

This 100%. The heavy use of the FB returned when McD took over again, for better or worse. It was largely for the better with Develin here, but even if you have an outstanding FB, utilizing 21 and 22 personnel often is somewhat limiting from a spacing perspective.

Remove Develin, add Jonnu Smith, and McD's formational/personnel usage this past season was borderline criminal. As someone else put it, McD seemed to be trying to fit Mac into a scheme rather than fit the scheme around Mac (and their other personnel, too, not just Mac). Even the best coaches develop blind-spots and fall into patterns/habits. I'm sure McD work process was top-notch, but the offensive philosophy at a high-level from a personnel/play-calling perspective felt antiquated and stuck. Forest for the trees, type of thing.

1000%

Our dog (Seamus) only likes watching passing plays. This past year we would set him on the couch and if he kept us head on his paws when the patriots lined up pre-snap we knew it was a running play. If he lifted his head and watched the TV closely then we knew it was a passing play.

:coffee:

Our dog (Seamus) only likes watching passing plays. This past year we would set him on the couch and if he kept us head on his paws when the patriots lined up pre-snap we knew it was a running play. If he lifted his head and watched the TV closely then we knew it was a passing play.

:coffee:
I need to borrow your dog lol. Oh and by the way I wanted to name our last son Seamus (his name is Eric James). My Hubbys brother is James....and told me he would never name one of his kids James... and he didnt. Hubby wouldnt hear it. We have a Sean (now 2 but he's Sean Michael they call him Mickey....well except me I keep telling him his name is Sean..... My dad was John so it was a game how many Johns can we have. We had a lot of versions of John lol.

~Dee~

I need to borrow your dog lol. Oh and by the way I wanted to name our last son Seamus (his name is Eric James). My Hubbys brother is James....and told me he would never name one of his kids James... and he didnt. Hubby wouldnt hear it. We have a Sean (now 2 but he's Sean Michael they call him Mickey....well except me I keep telling him his name is Sean..... My dad was John so it was a game how many Johns can we have. We had a lot of versions of John lol.

~Dee~

We debated Seamus' name for a while. Seamus was ALWAYS my choice but I offered other names first. Names like Steve, Kurt and Rodney were soundly rejected but they were only intended to soften them up for Seamus. After a couple of rounds of votes with no name getting the required 3 of 5 votes, Seamus was approved. They knew it was an Irish name, but they didn't know it was Irish for James.

Why is this funny? I'm James (or Jimmy, or Jim). :p

It was a few more weeks before my oldest (Paddy) figured it out and told on me but it was too late!!

!Seamus.jpeg

You and I are on the same wave length as far as Smith being used like Hernandez. And yes O'Brien did use the two TE's better. We have two solid TE's might as well maximize them while we have them..

We debated Seamus' name for a while. Seamus was ALWAYS my choice but I offered other names first. Names like Steve, Kurt and Rodney were soundly rejected but they were only intended to soften them up for Seamus. After a couple of rounds of votes with no name getting the required 3 of 5 votes, Seamus was approved. They knew it was an Irish name, but they didn't know it was Irish for James.

Why is this funny? I'm James (or Jimmy, or Jim). :p

It was a few more weeks before my oldest (Paddy) figured it out and told on me but it was too late!!!View attachment 9427
lol love it.

My son Eric is pissed we didnt name him Seamus. He should have been KC after my mothers brother Casmir but my SIL decided to name their son 2 years younger then my daughter who was KC if she was a boy... Kacey. Oh well.
My sister said score and named her daughter Kasey!

~Dee~
Even BETTER!
I actually went throught that with my girl Harley. She was half a dozen names at one point......but it came down to 2 Harley or Piper. Shes Harley after harlequin great danes her marking and my hubby always talked about getting a Harley. Now shes his Harley.

~Dee~

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Best case: Mac Jones gets a WR1 and J.C. Jackson returns

Worst case: Wide receiver room stays largely the same for 2022

New England's goals in free agency should be to get Mac Jones a legit WR1 and retain cornerback J.C. Jackson. The Patriots' receiving room wasn’t terrible in 2021, but it was clearly missing an outside threat. The unit's receiving grade when lined up out wide ranked 21st in the NFL. Trading for Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley is perhaps the best-case scenario, but Allen Robinson II, who ranked in the top 10 in outside receiving grade in 2020 before a down year in 2021, is also a quality option.

As for Jackson, he was the most valuable non-quarterback on New England's roster in 2021, and it wasn’t close. Losing him would be a death blow to the secondary.

NEW YORK JETS

Best case: Completely overhaul the secondary in free agency and in the 2022 NFL Draft

Worst case: None

The Jets have four top-40 draft picks — two of which are in the top 10 — and the fifth-most cap space in free agency. This is going to be difficult to mess up.

BUFFALO BILLS

Best case: Bring in veteran help, veteran help and more veteran help

Worst case: Make no major additions to the defensive front or wide receiver room

Buffalo is in contention mode, and veteran help is essential to getting them over the hump. Re-signing edge defender Jerry Hughes is a good start before looking at possible new faces. Hughes may turn 34 before Week 1 of next season, but he has shown no signs of slowing down. His 81.2 pass-rush grade last season ranked 15th among NFL edge defenders.

One veteran Buffalo should keep a good eye on is Calais Campbell. If Baltimore lets him walk, bringing him in on a one-year deal would be significant for Buffalo’s run defense. Campbell ranked in the top 10 in PFF grade at the position in 2021 thanks to a 77.9 grade against the run.

At wide receiver, Buffalo could take a swing on JuJu Smith-Schuster. He’s likely to sign a one-year prove-it deal after several underwhelming seasons. Smith-Schuster has failed to post a receiving grade above 70.0 after doing so in each of his first two years in the league — 2017 (73.5) and 2018 (81.2).

MIAMI DOLPHINS

Best case: Revamp offensive line and add receiving threats

Worst case: None — they are too rich in cap space and draft capital to falter badly this offseason

Miami is one of a few teams that don’t have much of a worst-case scenario this offseason. With more cap space than any other team in the NFL, the Dolphins would have to try to mess their free agency up. Offensive line and wide receiver stand out as areas to address. Miami’s offensive line was the lowest-graded unit of 2021, and the team lacked a quality third option at wide receiver after Jaylen Waddle and DeVante Parker.

What if we got 2020 Isiah Wynn?

Back