Patriots play breakdown mockery causes Greg Bedard to walk off Felger and Mazz

jazonga

Reaction score
Clip is below. I feel bad for Greg Bedard. He's got more football insight in one finger than both of these clowns and he started his own site and they mock him for it. He wanted them to stop playing the audio but they kept going. For legal reasons or whatever he did not want it played because it's a site he started on his own, whereas F&M can hide behind CBS. They should apologize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcPUeF-zDZs

So wait, are they making fun of him for breaking down a football play?

Isn't that their job?

So wait, are they making fun of him for breaking down a football play?

Isn't that their job?

No.

He’s been a weekly guest for years.

I got a sense of the 2 clowns mocking and belittling Bedards venture in the past. It’s a pay site. If he didn’t want it played on their free radio and simulcast then they should’ve respected that.

No.

He’s been a weekly guest for years.

I got a sense of the 2 clowns mocking and belittling Bedards venture in the past. It’s a pay site. If he didn’t want it played on their free radio and simulcast then they should’ve respected that.

I'm confused, isn't their show supposed to be talking about football?

Felger & Mazz does sports talk, yes.

Bedard is a weekly guest who comes in Tuesday’s and breaks down Pats games.

The rub is this week they took audio from Bedards private venture, Boston Sports Journal, where he breaks down game film. Compared to F&M it’s dry. It’s more intense. Straight forward hard core football talk.

They aren’t capable of that. So what do you do in that case? Simple. Mock it. They layer down snoring tracks over it and had the studio hijinx at 11 and basically embarrassed their guest. Not cool. He’s laid a large amount of money on this venture and didn’t really expect to be shit on.

Yeah that's what had me confused. If the whole point of your show is to talk about sports, it seems odd to make fun of a guest for...talking about sports.

My assumption was the hosts were unable to do what the guess was doing, got insecure, and decided to make fun of it because it's beyond their ability to comprehend.

Another reminder of how lucky I am regarding sports media. The most popular radio show here has a weekly segment with former coach Rick Venturi who gives a pretty deep analysis of the last week's game and it's one of the more popular segments they do. All respectful and goes deeper than you might expect a radio show to go on the subject.

Neither one ever appears to have an axe to grind and I rarely find myself disagreeing with their conclusions.

Felger & Mazz does sports talk, yes.

Bedard is a weekly guest who comes in Tuesday’s and breaks down Pats games.

The rub is this week they took audio from Bedards private venture, Boston Sports Journal, where he breaks down game film. Compared to F&M it’s dry. It’s more intense. Straight forward hard core football talk.

They aren’t capable of that. So what do you do in that case? Simple. Mock it. They layer down snoring tracks over it and had the studio hijinx at 11 and basically embarrassed their guest. Not cool. He’s laid a large amount of money on this venture and didn’t really expect to be shit on.

Exactly. Not only that, but there's an iffy legal dimension to NFL footage & copyright, and Felger and Mazz (who don't have to worry about it since they can hide behind CBS) blew it up. Now the NFL could sue if they wanted.

If Felger really wants to hear something dry, take audio of him talking about Draisaitl's contract for 4 hours and put snoring sounds over it.

If you watch the clip and pay attention you can clearly see that Felger, Mazz, Murray and Stew knew they screwed up and were very uncomfortable.

They ought to apologize.

This is a nutshell is what is wrong with sports media especially in this market. The constant making fun in a mean way is such a turn off. I stopped listening quite some time ago to all of it as it just makes the blood boil. What is a shame is Bedard is the type of person I love to listen to because I am a football junkie and despite F&Ms snickering, I dig the Xs and Os. That being said, I will NEVER pay for content, Bedard or anyone else but I at least liked tuning in every now and again on Tuesday's to hear his break down of the game but that may be over it seems.

This is a nutshell is what is wrong with sports media especially in this market. The constant making fun in a mean way is such a turn off. I stopped listening quite some time ago to all of it as it just makes the blood boil. What is a shame is Bedard is the type of person I love to listen to because I am a football junkie and despite F&Ms snickering, I dig the Xs and Os. That being said, I will NEVER pay for content, Bedard or anyone else but I at least liked tuning in every now and again on Tuesday's to hear his break down of the game but that may be over it seems.

Close. The biggest problem with sports media now is that the old guard of Xs and Os analysis has been replaced with editorializing personas that sound off about the most controversial, flashy, salacious topics out there. ESPN First Take, Pardon My Take, First Thing's First, Fox Sports 1, Good Morning Football, it's all the same now.

You know why? Money. It's MUCH cheaper to have a bunch of talking heads sit around a studio and talk about the most clickbait controversial matters that they can then put on their website.

If you told ESPN First Take they can't talk about:

- New York Giants
- Odell Beckam Jr.
- Dallas Cowboys
- Ezekiel Elliot
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Lebron James

They would not have a show. Literally. That's all they talk about. The flashiest most controversial nonsense. It's much cheaper than actually sending reporters out in the field and doing what we are tuning in for.

That's why I feel bad for Bedard. I gladly pay for that type of analysis because it's so rare.

F felger and Mazz anyway.

Felger is a little bitch, that picture with napkins on his cold legs told me all I need to know about the pampered little pecker.

and Mazz used to be a great baseball guy with now chokes up on Felger's bat all day.

Felger is a little bitch, that picture with napkins on his cold legs told me all I need to know about the pampered little pecker.

and Mazz used to be a great baseball guy with now chokes up on Felger's bat all day.

Funny. Everyone gives Mazz his due with baseball. I’ve never heard him be correct once.

I don't think there has ever been a morning sports radio team that I ever liked. Not EEI, or the Sports Hub, or any of them.

BUT....I'll take F&M over Dennis and Callahan all day, every day. D&C just could not suck enough.

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking Toucher and Rich.

Still, the point stands.

I actually like Mazz....and in fairness, they make fun of EVERYONE.

The last I listened to sports radio was Deflategate. The coverage (especially from these clowns) was absurd. I was done then, pretty much with all traditional media.

Funny. Everyone gives Mazz his due with baseball. I’ve never heard him be correct once.
It was when he was a writer, he was a good read. Today it is his puppy dog affection for Felger that kind of rubs me the wrong way. I can't listen to the show.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

I don't think there has ever been a morning sports radio team that I ever liked. Not EEI, or the Sports Hub, or any of them.

BUT....I'll take F&M over Dennis and Callahan all day, every day. D&C just could not suck enough.

Still, the point stands.

Felger and Mazz go against Holley, Dale-diggity Arnold and Rich Keefe. I am starting to turn off sports radio more and more and listening to music again.

100% agree. Mazz is still good for baseball though.

Bleep Felger, Bleep his squeaky toy.

Cheers

That's the thing with Mazz. He can critique every move the Red Sox make with no accountability at all. Listeners, most anyway, assume he knows what he's talking about so he rarely gets challenged. Once in a while a caller will tell him why he's wrong and more often than not that caller gets cut off while Mazz babbles on & on or changes the subject. I'm not a fan of Mazz and I hate HATE his baseball show. Thankfully he's done til April with that crap.

Felger has decent knowledge of football having covered the Pats for 5+ years at the Herald, but he's a prick on air so who can listen? Still, he doesn't come close to Bedard in football knowledge so he should just shut up and let Bedard do his thing of educating the listeners.

Here's an example of what Bedard brings to Pats fans as he explains why the Pats couldn't play man coverage the first 4 games.

One of the problems with playing man coverage is that you have to have at least five players that are capable of playing man coverage against targets of varying sizes and speeds, from big receivers to little scat backs. To play man, you need players that are capable of playing man against all possible targets.
“If you don’t feel like you have enough matchups in man coverage, then it’s hard to call man coverage,” Bill Belichick said last month.
One of the big problems for the Patriots entering Thursday night’s game against the Bucs was that in the first four games of the season, they felt they couldn’t matchup in one crucial coverage area: Patriots linebackers vs. the opponent’s running backs.
The Chiefs had speedsters Kareem Hunt and Akeem Hunt. The Saints had impressive rookie Alvin Kamara. Lamar Miller and D’Onta Foreman both ran sub 4.5 seconds in the 40. And the Panthers had the very quick Christian McCaffrey.
In the first four games, the Patriots had Kyle Van Noy, Elandon Roberts and David Harris available to matchup with running backs. None of them can provide straight man coverage of any backs, let alone that group. That’s why you saw the Patriots attempt to use safety Jordan Richards at linebacker against the Chiefs. Turns out he wasn’t much better, and offered zero resistance to the run, so that experiment was quickly abandoned.
As a result, the Patriots tried to play it safe by playing more zone to cover for the linebackers. We all know the result: the worst defense in the league in yards and points allowed.
So in facing the Bucs, on a short week no less, Matt Patricia and Belichick were faced with a major dilemma: How do we let our secondary play at their best while not exposing the linebackers and the integrity of the rest of the offense?
There were a few subtle tweaks, some good advanced scouting and just some good fortune that enabled the defense to get its groove back in Tampa Bay, and lead — yes, lead — the Patriots to a 19-14 win over the Buccaneers.
Here’s how it happened.
First of all, the Bucs don’t feature their backs very much in the passing attack, other than for a checkdown for Jameis Winston. Sure, they’ll occasionally split one out and try to exploit a matchup but it doesn’t happen that often. Plus, with DeSean Jackson and O.J. Howard on the roster to go along with Mike Evans and Cameron Brate, the Bucs are now more of a downfield passing team. And their best receiving back, Doug Martin, had just come off suspension so he was bound to be rusty and not a huge part of the game plan.
That worked out exactly as planned, as Martin only caught one of three targeted pass for 8 yards.
The other component was knowing that when the Bucs go to shotgun and have a back in the backfield, that back is part of the protection packages. Basically, the Patriots could discern on film and through study that if they the lined up with so many defender on the line of scrimmage, the back would either a) have to stay in block, b) chip an edge rusher, or c) at least delay his path into the pattern until he was sure danger had passed.
For that part of the plan, the Patriots often put Van Noy and Dont’a Hightower (back many times at his inside linbacker spot) on the line. That caused the back to stay in and block, or delay his route. Both were wins for the Patriots because that meant they only had to defend the four other eligible receivers with five-to-seven defenders.
https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2017/10/06/bedard-tweaks-matt-patricia-allowed-patriots-defense/

Felger doesn't have the knowledge to do that. Analysis is what Bedard does best; poking fun at others & ridicule is Felger's schtick. I don't like him as a person or as a sports broadcaster.

As an aside, Bedard's explanation goes back to the discussion about the Pats poor front 7 personnel and why it came to this. Our LBs suck and our best DLs are inexperienced. Draft last, or close to last, in line and this is what happens. All the best players are gone when it's the Pats turn to choose.

Still, the point stands.

Both morning shows are complete sh*t. D & C was bad, but actually got 100X worse when Minihane got involved. He's f*cking useless. Worst guy on the radio in Boston media, and it's not even close. And that's saying alot considering that Felger and Mazz are here.

Listening to T & R for more than 5-8 minutes makes your IQ drop. They are like a couple of teenage girls and they know jack about sports.

That's the thing with Mazz. He can critique every move the Red Sox make with no accountability at all. Listeners, most anyway, assume he knows what he's talking about so he rarely gets challenged. Once in a while a caller will tell him why he's wrong and more often than not that caller gets cut off while Mazz babbles on & on or changes the subject. I'm not a fan of Mazz and I hate HATE his baseball show. Thankfully he's done til April with that crap.
I agree with you.

Once Mazz left baseball for the radio his baseball writing dropped. When he was a daily guy with sources he could talk to everyday, he was pretty in tune with the team. But about 2 months after taking tis radio gig with Felger he became a typical radio dolt and no longer was interesting when talking baseball.

Back