Patriots Predictions

Their ceiling is higher. This season is structured beautifully for a young team that needs to gel. They could very reasonably be 6-4 with a ton of momentum, coming together heading into the teeth of their schedule. I'd been toying with an "Optimist's Prediction, 2022" thread where I walk through it, but while those first 4 games are tough, there's every reason to believe that each are winnable:
  • Miami still has a lot to prove, and Tua, and first year head coach.
  • Steelers game pits Belichick against a rookie/raw QB.
  • Ravens, BB has historically made run-first QBs look very ordinary, and the defense now has the team speed (especially with these safeties) to execute.
  • Green Bay's offense is as questionable as New England's, and while I love Rogers, he's days away from a total meltdown at any given moment.

Their floor isn't far off, but things would have to go very wrong for Belichick not to be able to will the team to 6 or 7 wins.

Their ceiling is higher. This season is structured beautifully for a young team that needs to gel. They could very reasonably be 6-4 with a ton of momentum, coming together heading into the teeth of their schedule. I'd been toying with an "Optimist's Prediction, 2022" thread where I walk through it, but while those first 4 games are tough, there's every reason to believe that each are winnable:
  • Ravens, BB has historically made run-first QBs look very ordinary, and the defense now has the team speed (especially with these safeties) to execute.
  • Green Bay's offense is as questionable as New England's, and while I love Rogers, he's days away from a total meltdown at any given moment.

Their floor isn't far off, but things would have to go very wrong for Belichick not to be able to will the team to 6 or 7 wins.
Yes, this year is about getting everything running in sync. I'm not expecting a lot this year. Next few years, however, they should be back in the groove. If they rise above the noise...awesome. But, just getting most things headed in the right direction is the big thing.

friends sleep GIF

Sounds about right...

I've already predicted, grudgingly, the Pats may not win as many games this year as last year. At the same time, I won't count their win total as evidence of their overall improvement. Our team is still under construction and I'll be patient with BB's plan.

-Tua is 3-0 vs BB so far.
-Steelers have either Mitch Trubisky or Pickett at QB behind the worst OL the Steelers have seen in a long, long time. They'll be pressured on every play. Defensively, the Steelers should be terrific although their CBs are just like ours - a lot of good solid youth but there's no true shut down guy.
-The Ravens have to satisfy Jackson with a huge contract soon. I don't blame them for being reluctant but with Watson's and Wilson's recent deals the price for Jackson keeps going higher. Jackson's eventual contract will hold them back in years to come. But not this year. They have a solid roster and should do well this year barring the injuries they had last year.
-Completely agree with your evaluation of GB. If it doesn't go well early, Rodgers could go bad quickly.

The Raiders are better than that ranking, not enough love for them, although there's something to be said for the AFC West beating up on each other.
Denver got too much love. The Colts got too much love, too. Neither team has proven anything with their new QBs.
KC is being given the benefit of the doubt because of Reid and Mahomes. This could be the year all that benefit ends.
Buffalo is every man's #1 pick in the AFC. Just remember in last year's regular season they only beat 2 playoff teams. Then, in the playoffs, tick tock...
The pundits have decided the SB loser's curse will be the Bengals downfall this year without a shred of proof.

Lots of questions remain to be answered.

This season can't start soon enough for me.

True. I'm mostly talking about the Pats.
I mean, I dont care about these predictions in that respect, because they don't play games on computer simulations. I think the Patriots are being undersold a bit but they were last year too (which everyone conveniently forgets). The truly shocking thing to me is that a team that was a couple minutes from winning the superbowl last year, and is super young, (who beat the media darling Chiefs twice in a month, home and away) is being predicted to fall off a cliff for...reasons?

They're far and away the best team in the AFC north, and I think will win that division by multiple games, and has the inside track at the one seed.

The Chargers, in this model, who havent won donkey dick, are predicted to win more games, again, because reasons. :coffee:

The disrespect the Bengals have gotten this offseason is insane.
I think the Bengals will have to actually win a SB to gain any respect, I mean, they're the Bengals. Everyone expects them to screw up Burrow and that team.

Haven't been paying attention this offseason, don't really know what to expect.

This insane (from that link):
My favorite Jonathan Taylor stat from 2021: His rush yards after contact (1,272, per Pro Football Focus) exceeded the total rushing yards produced by any other player (Nick Chubb ranked second in the league with 1,259 total rush yards). While Taylor might not be asked to carry as big a workload in 2022 -- he was responsible for a whopping 36.8 percent of the team’s scrimmage yards in 2021

This insane (from that link):
My favorite Jonathan Taylor stat from 2021: His rush yards after contact (1,272, per Pro Football Focus) exceeded the total rushing yards produced by any other player (Nick Chubb ranked second in the league with 1,259 total rush yards). While Taylor might not be asked to carry as big a workload in 2022 -- he was responsible for a whopping 36.8 percent of the team’s scrimmage yards in 2021

He's a good RB.

I've already predicted, grudgingly, the Pats may not win as many games this year as last year. At the same time, I won't count their win total as evidence of their overall improvement. Our team is still under construction and I'll be patient with BB's plan.

-Tua is 3-0 vs BB so far.
-Steelers have either Mitch Trubisky or Pickett at QB behind the worst OL the Steelers have seen in a long, long time. They'll be pressured on every play. Defensively, the Steelers should be terrific although their CBs are just like ours - a lot of good solid youth but there's no true shut down guy.
-The Ravens have to satisfy Jackson with a huge contract soon. I don't blame them for being reluctant but with Watson's and Wilson's recent deals the price for Jackson keeps going higher. Jackson's eventual contract will hold them back in years to come. But not this year. They have a solid roster and should do well this year barring the injuries they had last year.
-Completely agree with your evaluation of GB. If it doesn't go well early, Rodgers could go bad quickly.

The Raiders are better than that ranking, not enough love for them, although there's something to be said for the AFC West beating up on each other.
Denver got too much love. The Colts got too much love, too. Neither team has proven anything with their new QBs.
KC is being given the benefit of the doubt because of Reid and Mahomes. This could be the year all that benefit ends.
Buffalo is every man's #1 pick in the AFC. Just remember in last year's regular season they only beat 2 playoff teams. Then, in the playoffs, tick tock...
The pundits have decided the SB loser's curse will be the Bengals downfall this year without a shred of proof.

Lots of questions remain to be answered.

This season can't start soon enough for me.
I agree that the Patriots record this year might not be as good as last year's record. That is mostly because of the tougher schedule they have this year. However I think that the team will be better overall than last years team.

The Patriots defense is going to be stellar. The whole season will rests on the OL. If they give Jones ”our QB” enough time to throw then we could end up in 2nd place behind the wide rights. Bills end up in the SUPER BOWL, but will lose to the the Rams on Last second wide left field goal and you’ll see Bills fans jumping off the balcony committing suicide immediately after the missed kick. And the Pats fans will be visiting the Patriots Hall so we can look all our Trophies. New England fans live happily ever after.

The End❤️

For what it's worth, here are the NBC Sports Boston staff predictions. These are the 6 on air guests whose names I recognized:
Tom Curran 8-9
Phil Perry 9-8
Felger 7-10
Tomase 7-10
Mike Holley 10-7*
DJ Bean 7-10
*Only one predicting playoffs
What a fun bunch...

Back