Pats Trade For Martellus Bennett

Roberto71

Reaction score
Just in.

Marcellus Bennett and a late round draft pick from the Bears in exchange for a late round selection.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Martellus Bennett and Rob Gronkowski now expected to give Patriots the double-TE threat they have lacked.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/710242595612577792">March 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bit of salary info.

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss
Martellus Bennett has one year remaining on existing contract that Patriots would inherit. Due to earn $5,085,000 in base salary this year.

Skip the ceremonies and give us the Lombardi now.

Holy crap! This is huge

Most Yards After Catch - TE Since 2013
1. Rob Gronkowski 1,208
2. Martellus Bennett 1,066
3. Greg Olsen 1,041

Never expected this. MISMATCH!!!

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

The double TE threat is back.Jeff Howe
@jeffphowe
Pats now have their best double-TE package since Hernandez

Since EVER

Just an aside ;Pretty soon we'll own the whole 6th round. Hopefully, everyone a Tom Brady. :wave:

OK, this might be a good trade... :coffee:

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

His brudduh plays on defense on the Hee Hawks...

I heard someone say he was the most athletic player on the team when he played for the cowboys. Chatham tweeted that he does not see him get many numbers and will be used for blocking, but not sure I get that, he is a pass catcher.

He has a bad attitude...hopefully he compresses it down while he is a Pat.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I heard someone say he was the most athletic player on the team when he played for the cowboys. Chatham tweeted that he does not see him get many numbers and will be used for blocking, but not sure I get that, he is a pass catcher.

Gronk is a good/great blocker, and he ends up with pretty good stats... :coffee:

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/16/report-patriots-trading-for-martellus-bennett/

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Martellus Bennett - TE - Patriots

Patriots acquired TE Martellus Bennett and a sixth-round pick from the Bears in exchange for a fourth-round pick.

Chicago shopped Bennett all offseason and finally found a taker in New England. It's essentially a one-year flyer for the Patriots, who absorb Bennett's $5.1 million salary. Bennett gives Bill Belichick a complement to Rob Gronkowski for the first time since Aaron Hernandez. His addition reduces Danny Amendola's role, with the Patriots likely moving to more TE-heavy sets. Bennett struggled with injuries last year, but is a strong bounce-back candidate in New England. Still only 29 years old, Bennett's addition should improve both the Patriots' run and pass games, as he is an adept blocker. New England will be able to line up Bennett (6'6/259) and Gronk (6'6/264) in red-zone sets. The rich get richer.

He has a bad attitude...hopefully he compresses it down while he is a Pat.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Gronk is a good/great blocker, and he ends up with pretty good stats... :coffee:

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/16/report-patriots-trading-for-martellus-bennett/

Ok, but he said that he did not expect his stats to eclipse Chandlers.

Matt Chatham ‏<S>@</S>chatham58 <SMALL class=time>54m54 minutes ago </SMALL>
Don't expect Martellus Bennett's pass <S>#</S>s to be wildly > Scott Chandler's. He brings <S>#</S>Patriots 2 TE blocking symmetry w/ Gronk. <S>#</S>RunGameFolks

16 retweets 32 likes

Bennett always stood out whenever I watched his team. The guy can flat out catch the ball and he is a large man with good wheels and moves.

I always thought he was sort of a dick when he came into the league for a few reasons, mainly because when the Cowboys were on Hard Knocks and he seemed lazy, disinterested and in love with himself. He's shot his mouth off more than a few times and got in a fight with a teammate in Chicago, but is also pretty funny and known for colorful quotes.

For instance, after he described himself as a "black unicorn" and compared himself to Muhummad Ali he was asked if he is more into floating like a butterfly or stinging like a bee. His answer?

“I am a little bit of both. I’m sweet. I move like a butterfly and I sting like a bee. I’m a little bit of both. I like to be a butterfly because sometimes you have to spread your wings and – have you ever tried to catch a butterfly with your hands? You can’t do it. You need a net. They’ve got butterfly nets just for catching butterflies. Hopefully they don’t make a unicorn net just for catching unicorns, especially black ones.”

We'll see how the Pats do keeping a lid on this guy, but he can definitely play ball.

Bears fans forgetting this guy caught 90 Balls and just under 1000 yards in 2014 when he was semi-disgruntled in a pass first offense, Josh McDaniels and BB will cook up something for him to succeed, nonetheless, he’s a top notch blocker at his position as Former OC Adam Gase graded him with Left Tackle ability at TE position and man Gronk, Edelman and company might just be a little more open this season not too mention a boost to run game when Pats bring out those 3 TE sets, Plenty and plenty of upside on this move, while only giving up a 4th rounder, and getting back a 6th rounder.

via PFT commentary

ROFL my brother just got his jersey 2 days ago. Finally we have another TE . That's proven he can catch the ball. Evil genius is on a row now .

Back